Time to buy a new computer. How about this one ?

davd_indigo

• Members

A laptop sits on a table to the right of my digital piano. This is in my living room where I spend countless hours at my Yamaha F01 (a living room piano). The computer is used most often for YouTube watching and listening. An HDMI cable runs to my TV. Sometimes after recording onto my Sony "handheld" recorder I use the computer to edit an audio file in SounfForge Audio Studio.

I think I will be purchasing a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 for doing some multitrack recording and also to try and develop some rudimentary skill with Pro Tools First. I will likely have at most maybe 5 or 6 audio tracks recorded with no MIDI in my forecast.

So, with what I've described for context, is this desktop suitable. I've decided that since for this function there's no need to move the computer around, to just go for a desktop.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01LX17MAB/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2M9T6EDIORW0B&colid=2TPGWUIH67OT4

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any info about card slots - does it say?

Might not be an issue to you, but I'd want to know how many PCI-e slots it has.

Looks like it has 16 GB and can take up to 32 GB of memory, which is nice. :)

A couple of reviewers said there were some heat issues - might want to budget for more case fans and / or an improved CPU cooler.

I'm not sure how the AMD quad cores measure up to something like an Intel i7 quad core - I'd want to check the CPU benchmarks... but beyond those concerns, it looks pretty nice.

I'd also highly recommend checking over on the Avid site and their DUC forums to see if the motherboard is compatible with Pro Tools if that's the program you're going to be using with it.

• CMS Author

I think I will be purchasing a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 for doing some multitrack recording and also to try and develop some rudimentary skill with Pro Tools First. I will likely have at most maybe 5 or 6 audio tracks recorded with no MIDI in my forecast.

So, with what I've described for context, is this desktop suitable. I've decided that since for this function there's no need to move the computer around, to just go for a desktop.

You don't really need much of a computer to do what you're looking to do. And chances are by the time you're ready to start doing some heavy audio lifting, a new computer that you buy today will be out of date. I buy used/refurbished computers for my audio needs (actually for all of my needs - I have computers all over the house, different locations for different purposes) and save a lot of money. For example, I have a couple of these from my friendly local used computer store. It's a couple of years old, but so what? It's nicely built, it's quiet, and it's pretty compact (for a Compaq ;) ). You can get one for $50 less with half as much disk space and memory.

https://pcretro.com/collections/desktops/products/hp-pro-6300-sff-core-i5-3-2-ghz-8-gb-ram-1-tb-hdd-windows-10-home

Phil asked about expansion card slots. Most have a couple of PCI slots (these H-Ps have two), usually a PCIe slot, and gobs of USB 2.1 ports. Newer ones have a couple of USB 3 ports. I have a Firewire card in a PCI slot, but use the built-in graphics so haven't tried a fancy graphics card in the PCIe slot. But since the interface you're looking at is USB, you may never need to crack the case open (which is easy on this model). The one thing to be aware of is that a "small format factor" case won't take tall expansion cards, so if you want to start doing some serious video work (or gaming) and need a faster graphics card (you'll need to be sure to look for one that fits.

I say save your money on the basic computer and buy a better microphone than you thought you could afford.

• Members

I agree that your initial plan doesn't sound like it will tax that AMD computer very much. But the thing about getting started with DAW recording is, at least for lots of people, that you don't end up doing exactly what you thought you would be doing when you first geared up. So I recommend a little over-buying when it comes to the computer hardware. People add to the complexity and power requirements of their setups, however incrementally, but rarely subtract. Track counts tend to increase, and plug-ins, and upgraded power-hungry software, and so on.

I put together an AMD based desktop that saw some DAW work for a while. It was subject to heating up some, so I had to upgrade a couple of fans. Have to keep it clean, clean, or the heat starts building up again. AMD stuff is just fine for all sorts of purposes except impressing your gamer friends.

If you see an AMD cpu with specs that look similar to an Intel cpu, I guarantee the Intel will smoke the AMD. That's not a bad thing as the AMDs are so much cheaper. But it can lead to frustrated expectations.

Count those USB ports and think hard about how many you could possibly need and add a couple. Mouse, keyboard, flash drive(s), printer, scanner, dongles, recording interface, external hard drive for backup, etc etc etc.

Best o'luck - you'll have a dandy learning curve, so don't get discouraged. Lots of uber-brains like Phil and Craig here to answer ALL your questions :)

nat

• Members

Now I'm considering the HP i7 below. Being a technical non-wonk, I just want to buy something with some heft to it and forget about it (not worry about having to tweak something later on).

Thanks for your opinions.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06Y3SV2P3/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IY4X2BYIK6LW1&colid=2TPGWUIH67OT4

Regarding Pro Tools, I've watched some YouTube tutorials on Pro Tools and realize that being able edit hand percussion tracks when there's a minor flub would be a big plus.

• Members

That HP i7 is a bruiser - more power than anything I'm running. No question it would handle anything you will probably throw at if a few years.

For that class of desktop around that price point, I'd probably get something like this Dell - it specs out a bit better than the HP you're looking at, and more USB ports. 4 PCI-e slots.

I've owned a dozen Dells, happy with all of them.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/desktop-and-all-in-one-pcs/xps-tower-silver-chassis/spd/xps-8910-desktop/cax8910w10p140rs

nat

• Members
A laptop sits on a table to the right of my digital piano. This is in my living room where I spend countless hours at my Yamaha F01 (a living room piano). The computer is used most often for YouTube watching and listening. An HDMI cable runs to my TV. Sometimes after recording onto my Sony "handheld" recorder I use the computer to edit an audio file in SounfForge Audio Studio.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01LX17M...=2TPGWUIH67OT4

Personally, I will never buy a stock computer because most have cheap components.

One of the computers I built, I used as a server, it was on for 5 years, only turned off a few times for cleaning and maintenance.

My current DAW I built myself. I know this my seem astronomical but building your own computer does not cost much. All you need to start is a great Motherboard, then you can expand on memory or Graphics.

For example: You can get a MOBO which takes 128 or 64 GB of RAM. That does not mean you have to put all that RAM inside. But it will last you for the next 10 years.

Some of ASUS MOBO have 5 years Warranty, you wont get that buying a new computer without extended warranty.

• CMS Author

Personally, I will never buy a stock computer because most have cheap components.

One of the computers I built, I used as a server, it was on for 5 years, only turned off a few times for cleaning and maintenance.

My current DAW I built myself. I know this my seem astronomical but building your own computer does not cost much. All you need to start is a great Motherboard, then you can expand on memory or Graphics.

I used to think that way, but never did it. When I started pricing out parts and added in the cost of a copy of Windows, a ready-to-go computer seemed like a much better deal. The Dell that's my main studio computer has been working fine for 10 years. It's had a couple of hard drive transplants but the problem wasn't failure, it was size. I've been able to keep this computer for as long as I have because it's running WinXP and I haven't added any new software to it for the past several years for the simple resason that newer programs won't run under XP.

Now that I'm buying 2 year old "new" computers for under $200, if I have to upgrade the operating system in a couple of years because I want or need to run a new piece of software, I'll just replace the whole computer for another $200. It's a pain to housebreak a new computer every couple of years, but that seems to be their software lifespan, so why try to keep one for 10 years?

• Members

Yeah, the landscape for PCs is changing out there. It's still true that if you build your own, you can trick it out with exactly what you want and insure that it will be expandable/upgradeable for many years. At the very least, the case and power supply can stay in service as motherboards, hard drives,CPUs, and graphics are upgraded.

But in line with what Mike said, the prices on PCs have come down so low. And with a little shopping and patience, you can find deals that are hard to believe. The i7 HP laptop I use as my main recording computer I got from Fry's for under $300. I don't see the DIY option as a frugality option any longer.

I do love building my own PCs, 'tho. But to really make it work, you have to do your homework as to the absolute compatibility and sufficiency of the various components. If your response to this statement is "what do you mean"? then you're not ready to build your own box unless someone else who absolutely knows what they are doing tells you what components to buy.

nat

• CMS Author
Yeah, the landscape for PCs is changing out there. It's still true that if you build your own, you can trick it out with exactly what you want and insure that it will be expandable/upgradeable for many years. At the very least, the case and power supply can stay in service as motherboards, hard drives,CPUs, and graphics are upgraded.

But in line with what Mike said, the prices on PCs have come down so low. And with a little shopping and patience, you can find deals that are hard to believe. The i7 HP laptop I use as my main recording computer I got from Fry's for under $300. I don't see the DIY option as a frugality option any longer.

Whew! I'm glad to read that from you. I thought we might have a real good argument going here, and I'm tired of screwing with computers. The first PC I had was assembled from parts, but it was supplied as a kit from one of our few local computer stores. This was probably in 1985 or 1985. At least I had the benefit of their experience to pick out parts wthat would work together. I splurged and got it with two 360 kB floppy drives so I could have a system and application disk and a separate disk for files worth saving, and went all out with 640 kB of memory. I upgraded it to a hard drive, passing over the 10 mB drive until I could get a 20 mB drive for, I think, about $200, and upgraded the 8088 CPU with a math coprocessor and eventually a faster CPU that I can't remember what it was, and somewhere before the end of the line, the floppy drives were updated with a 720 kB 5-1/4" and 1.4 mB 3-1/2" drive.When I discovered BBSs, I got a 1200 baud modem for it. I was running Wordstar, Supercalc, and for music, Cakewalk and Sequencer Plus. I never got a sound card for it, and had the same Hercules monochrome graphics card and monitor throughout its 10+ year lifespan.

I do love building my own PCs, 'tho. But to really make it work, you have to do your homework as to the absolute compatibility and sufficiency of the various components. If your response to this statement is "what do you mean"? then you're not ready to build your own box unless someone else who absolutely knows what they are doing tells you what components to buy.

That's more true today than it ever was. I could remember 8088, but I don't know the practical difference between an i3, i5, i7, or whatever's next, and there are so many different types of memory out there that some are bound to not work with a given motherboard and/or CPU, and about the only measure of "quality" is what people say on the Internet, which could mean anything. About the only thing I can complain about with the "appliance store" computers is that they usually have a power supply with some difference between a standard ATX series power supply, with form factor (to squeeze it into a smaller case) so if the power supply fails, you can't replace it with a generic part. And I have one Dell with an optical drive (that I want to replace because it reads, but doesn't write DVDs) the likes of which I've never seen - a skinny one but with a parallel (IDE) rather than SATA interface. So when I want to write a DVD from that computer, I plug in my USB optical drive.

Laptops are in a world of their own. I know you can buy parts on line, but I don't know of anyone who's built his own laptop. And it seems that when most people (not necessarily including us) want to buy a laptop when their desktop needs replacement. And they're the least upgradeable and configurable of all.

• Members

I used to think that way, but never did it. When I started pricing out parts and added in the cost of a copy of Windows, a ready-to-go computer seemed like a much better deal. The Dell that's my main studio computer has been working fine for 10 years. It's had a couple of hard drive transplants but the problem wasn't failure, it was size. I've been able to keep this computer for as long as I have because it's running WinXP and I haven't added any new software to it for the past several years for the simple resason that newer programs won't run under XP.

Now that I'm buying 2 year old "new" computers for under $200, if I have to upgrade the operating system in a couple of years because I want or need to run a new piece of software, I'll just replace the whole computer for another $200. It's a pain to housebreak a new computer every couple of years, but that seems to be their software lifespan, so why try to keep one for 10 years?

I should have stated, my goal to build is more of a budget thing, meaning if I have the money.

Assuming I have 3 grand for a computer, which was the case for my last build, I simply decided to build my own.

I do not think it's of any benefit to build a machine if you are on a lower budget, I also buy a lot of used Computers.

What's the possibility that I'll have another $3000 for a build, not happening soon. :)

So I agree, for now it's used stuff.

Archived