Genre Madness

philboking

• Members

Well, it's the push-pull between the public audience and the artists. Doesn't bother me - I don't have any use at all for total freedom, whatever that may be (I suspect it doesn't exist.)

Interestingly, electronic music actually feeds and grows via an endless stream of genre creation. It's silly, sure, but the public LOVES to belong to some genre or other. Hey, all the non-musicians who listen to music for all sorts of non-musical reasons, they have my blessing. Let them have their fun.

This site is quite amusing and rude about it, too - the electronic genre map to end all genre maps, with soundclips and other bits of educational material and lot of attitude:

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

nat

• Members

What annoyed me 2 or 3 years back was hearing on NPR some new band touting their style as "Americana". Seems to me that Americana was field hollers, Robert Johnson's blues, Buddy Holly's Rock & Roll, Glenn Miller's big band, Steven Foster's songs and on and on and on.

So you use a few acoustic instruments, and now you have created the new genre of Americana ?

Interestingly, electronic music actually feeds and grows via an endless stream of genre creation. It's silly, sure, but the public LOVES to belong to some genre or other. Hey, all the non-musicians who listen to music for all sorts of non-musical reasons, they have my blessing. Let them have their fun.

This site is quite amusing and rude about it, too - the electronic genre map to end all genre maps, with soundclips and other bits of educational material and lot of attitude:

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

nat

I'll have to take a look at that - thanks for posting it Nat. I've long been confused by all the different EDM genres and really don't have a clue what the difference is between Trance and Acid House or Drums & Bass and Techno. :idk:

• Members
I've never been a believer in genres - it places unnecessary limits on artists. But marketing insists on pigeonholing everything.... Here's a 2D map of every music genre. Click on the map and music from that genre plays. A black hole for sucking up free time...

http://everynoise.com/engenremap.html

A genre is a bit like a neighborhood. There's a certain degree of "When in Rome...", and while one may have the freedom to go waltzing around wherever they please, it might not be a good idea unless they can *hang*.

Some are very big and well established. Some are little more than a house or two that aren't much different to those nearby, merely a different shade gray. And while they may declare themselves to be a serious 'hood' and it might seem that way right under their nose, from a bit of a distance...obscurity.

• Members
It's full of errors and doesn't have teh Death Grass that Dendy was talking about.

It's a new genre...Error Core.

Get ready for Speed Error Thrash. Basically, as many errors as possible as fast as you can play 'em. :rawk:

It's not as easy as it sounds. :D

• Members

:lol:

But it does sound like a genre that, with very little practice, I might actually be really good at! ;)

Well you know...big believer in the p - word here. But this is definitely a genre where a lot of practice can hurt spontaneity. One way or the other, when you are ready to share with the world just be sure to say the magic words, "One more time with feeling." Otherwise it can stray towards that Bore Core stuff that Nat is into. :p

They say it's as much the notes you don't play as the one's you do, so bare that in mind. The notes you don't play have to be errors as well. That goes for the length, articulation, volume, pitch, tone, etc. And oh yeah, the space between the notes is just as important as the notes themselves so make sure that's at least a bit off kilter and you should be fine. :thu:

Archived