Sign in to follow this  
LCK

Chord Question

I'm trying to figure out the name of this chord: It starts as a simple B minor: D, F#, B, then I move the B to a B flat to it's D F# Bb

fyi... The augmented triad is symetrical with every note being a Major 3rd apart. This means that any note in the chord can be used to name it. The choice of name usually depends on the context in which the chord is used.

• Like 1

Technically it would have to be respelled per inversion

D F# A#

F# A# Cx

A# Cx Ex

Although I doubt this happens a lot.

Long ago forum contributor Eddie Boston (Eddie Sullivan when he's not on stage) created this adjunct to his string instrument oriented Chorderator.com website, the Chord Designer: http://www.chorderator.com/designer/

It consists of a customizable fretboard graphic (you can change number of strings and tuning, so it works for any fretted string instrument) which you place fretted, open, or muted notes/strings

Plug in a guitar or other string instrument chord fingering and it will spit out potential names for that chord. It's especially useful for those of us who come up with interesting chords on our own that work in various contexts but which defy easy naming.

Here's the chord that I've long loved to play but hated to try to put a name to: http://www.chorderator.com/designer?...ts=0+0+5+5+0+0

Edited by blue2blue

I don't normally post here but I've been using Chorderator.com for quite a while. I can usually figure out basic stuff but I lack the theory to come up with names for oddball chords. Excellent resource. :thu:

Yeah' date=' I had a feeling it was a B not a D.[/quote']

Still contingent on what key and how the chord in question functions.