NGD tomorrow

Axisplayer

• Members

Congratulations and Happy New Guitar Day. Lovely top indeed. I mostly like it as is but I do prefer covered humbuckers, which is odd since my Schecter has uncovered ones. I just never got around to putting covers on. It's had a broken neck pickup ring since before I bought it and I haven't replaced that either.

• Like 1

• Members
I am equal lead/rhythm sort of guy and played more acoustic guitar for a lot of years so I tend to strum fairly hard compared to those light fingered lead players. I am afraid I would have a lot of pick stripes if I took it off, but I do like the looks without it. In fact, I just thought about my Nighthawk and it doesn't have one, so maybe I DON'T need it as much as I think I do. Hmmmm. Thanks for the thought.

Gorgeous. Happy NLPGD.

• Like 1

• Members

Well the mods are done. The original looked this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32075941[/ATTACH]

Now I changed out the tophats, pickguard, poker chip selector tip, pup mounting rings and added nickel covers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32075942[/ATTACH]

I think it a huge improvement. Only mistake was that the pup covers came as a pair from Gibson, and just said for humbuckers. Evidently the spacing on the 490 is not the same as the Burstbucker Pro because the adjustment screws don't line up in the cover. I am ordering the correct one, but I don't think it is noticeable unless I point it out.

• Like 3

• Members

Holy carp! It was a beautiful guitar to begin with, but the mods are brilliant. Small tweaks = huge visual improvement. Nicely done.

Re. the poker chip specifically, it's a small thing but I can't quite get used to seeing LPs without these. I much prefer with over without.

• Like 1

• Members

I do like how you set that thing up...looks quite "proper", to me . I like to look at mine. hmm I may , at some point, obtain an other studio , and perform similar... Now you have me thinking... hmm. But , right now. I kind of like this thing "bare" . It is an extremely comfortable thing, to me. Quite so , actually. And , to me , it's pretty...: a piece of woodworking art , actually :) ) What do you think ?

bRwjqOT.jpg

Edited by crustoleum

I do like how you set that thing up...looks quite "proper", to me . I like to look at mine. hmm I may , at some point, obtain an other studio , and perform similar... Now you have me thinking... hmm. But , right now. I kind of like this thing "bare" . It is an extremely comfortable thing, to me. Quite so , actually. And , to me , it's pretty...: a piece of woodworking art , actually :) ) What do you think ?

bRwjqOT.jpg

I'm thinking that this one probably would look best with the black parts - I don't think replacing everything with cream parts would look as nice as it does now. :)

• Like 2

I ,left this one "bare" too...Do you think a scratch plate might look ok ...? maybe ?

L8BUF4Z.jpg

what do you think ?

A scratch plate / pickguard would just hide part of the top... and that's a lovely looking top on that guitar.

Some guitars need pickguards, and some look better without them. I'd have to see it both ways to be certain, but I think that guitar probably falls into the later category.

• Like 1

• Members

I honestly don't know yet. I am between bands at the time. Practicing, it seems like it WILL be handy, but won't know if the boost is useful until I try it in heat of battle. TY for the kind comments. Your name made me think I should change mine. I spent 18 years playing a MusicMan Axis and then for one too many reasons had to sell it. Instead of getting another Axis, I have all the LPs now. Maybe I should be LPplayer.

• Members

Thank , yes I have to thank Gibson , and GC for manufacturing that thing , and allowing me to be it's caretaker. I feel that way about all my instruments. It took quite a bit of self control , when I worked and prior to retirement . I had a good place to work and save , investments worked out OK :) I believe I mentioned that I stopped doing a few "things" that were kind of a bother and used whatever was bothering me for these things. Hey . . Guitars are no bother to me :) none at all :)

• Members

To be honest, I'm pretty much like you..... I bought my LP standard faded, loved it, registered on forums using a name professing my love for it......

Guitar lover would be just as appropriate these days. I still love my LP, and I also love my now very playable Aria Pro II as well as my SG 70s Tribute, my Vigier Expert or my G&L ASAT Special Tribute.....

A good guitar is a good guitar..... And if it's good, I'm ready to show it some love!!!!!

Edited by Les Paul Lover