Les Paul Jr. or Les Paul Special double-cutaway?

Etienne Rambert

• Members
1001 gear asked why I'm getting a new nut. It's free for the asking.

Gibson is giving them out. The brass nut works fine. But apparently

the titanium nut was intended for this guitar.

-------

I'll be interested in your thoughts about the Ti nut and your tech's comments on the set up from the factory.

Here is the nut on the 2017 Standard that I worked on a few weeks ago - I posted this picture at one of the lutherie forums and the comments were "what the heck is going on with that nut?"

fetch?filedataid=127166

• Members

I guess there is a point to be made about made-in-USA offerings in the $500 to $1k range, but to some extent this is only if made in USA is a priority. If not, there are some excellent offerings in the same range from a pretty wide array of manufacturers. Some really excellent guitars from Fender in that range, IMHO.

• Members

So I've been starting to like the tone of the P90's through a couple of pedals - and my mixer - into a Roland AC90. Sounds really good. Color with clarity. Warmer than a Tele. Sparkle and jangle.

So today I walked into a pawn shop and spotted a new condition Marshall MG15 CFX. $70 --> out the door. Big mistake. The P90's sound nasally and thin through it.

The Les Paul Faded OTOH, sounds magnificent plugged into that little practice amp.

If I can't dial the P90's in - I'll just use the mixer --> Roland amp for it because that really sounds nice with the P90's. It will take a while - if it's even possible - to dial in the right sound of the P90's into the Marshall.

But the Les Paul humbuckers already sound wonderful plugged into that amp.

My background is acoustic - not electric guitars. So how's the Special sound to my ears?

These two players dial it in right.

HmIR0XUtUXM

1Au1t61xGho

Edited by Etienne Rambert

• Members

I could see that being spot on. Amps like that little Marshall perform better with phat sounding humbuckers.

Try something a little more in the Vox to Tweed Fender tonal zone to get the most out of a P-90.

Or just get a Catalinbread SFT pedal to transform your Roland into a classic rock beast.

• Members

A tech does not need to be a luthier and vice versa. By definition, a luthier builds guitars, a tech makes them playable. Many of the best repair and setup guys that I have met don't build guitars but they have that little something that understands the player and what he/she needs.

I'll look forward to your comments

• Members

Nice. They have pickguards. They have the double bridge too. They must cost a fortune.

I paid $579 for mine in a Sam Ash blow-out - one bridge - no pickguard, no poker chip.

Sweetwater wants $4000 for one with only 1 bridge - a pickguard and poker chip.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPSPDC11123

• Members

I'll be interested in your thoughts about the Ti nut and your tech's comments on the set up from the factory.

I got the correct TRS and the Ti nut yesterday. Good on Gibson for sending them free. Hurricane is coming so I can’t get them installed until at least next week.

I’ll let you know what the tech says about the Special. He was pretty impressed w/the Faded. I’m going to order the GForce tuners for it also.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
1001 gear asked why I'm getting a new nut. It's free for the asking.

Gibson is giving them out. The brass nut works fine. But apparently

the titanium nut was intended for this guitar.

-------

I'm surprised. But I am getting to like the P90's. I definitely like the GForce tuners too. I want one for my other LP.

The tone offers more clarity than my other LP but it doesn't lack warmth or sustain. It has an interesting sound.

The neck is ok. My local repair guy is going to set it up for me and install the titanium nut.

I still think it's kind of an ugly thing. But as a recording guitar - I hope to use it some. It is a nice little studio guitar. Nothing sounds quite like it - more sparkle and less bite than a Tele.

The brass nut which comes with the guitar originally wears prematurely due to the robot tuners.

If you keep the the robot tuners the titanium nut is necessary.

If you replace the robot with Grovers or whatever the brass nut would be fine.

• Members

The brass nut which comes with the guitar originally wears prematurely due to the robot tuners.

If you keep the the robot tuners the titanium nut is necessary.

If you replace the robot with Grovers or whatever the brass nut would be fine.

Thanks. I like the G-Force tuners. So I'm having the nut replaced as I write.

I'm really not crazy about the P90's. Other people love them. But I'm not a P90's guy.

I played a road-worn Jazzmaster today at a music store. Absolutely loved the tone.

The Les Paul Special has better action and a nicer neck. I love the robo-tune.

But tone-wise, I shoulda bought a Jazzmaster. It chimed like bells to my ears. It's a natural fit. Even the store owner complimented me on my playing.

That's a first.

• Members

Gibson P90s are pretty middy. In some set up, it can make them pretty honky.

It isn't unusual to have to set up an amp differently for different guitars too - you shouldn't expect them to sound their best just plugging in.

As for the amp.... If you could swing a small valve amp, you woukd hear that very differently.

That Marshall MG15 isn't great, you should certainly base your appreciation of the guitar on what you hear through that amp.

• Like 1

• Members

My Les Paul Faded sounds fabulous in the Marshall or in my Roland.

The LP Special is noisy through the Roland and sounds like an ice-pick

to the brain through the Marshall.

My son's 2015 SG Future does not sound as good as the Faded through

either amp. But it sounds better than the LPS P90 through the Marshall.

• Members

I'm not surprised.

Another thing, don't be afraid to play with oick up height. If it's still ice picky after changing the amp settings, try lowering the oicknuo height, especially on the treble side.

But seriously....... peavey classic, vox ac15, Orange TT, fender blues junior or Marshall class 5, get something decent with valves. You will thank yourself.

• Members

I'm not a huge fan of P90s myself, odd to say since I have more than a couple guitars with them. What I do is lower the pickups pretty far and then use the individual pole screws to adjust to my taste. Using the P90s this way lets me get the sound of a Jazzmaster when clean, and similar to a mini-bucker when the gain is turned up

• Like 1

• Members

The sound of the Jazzmaster I played 2 days ago was like church bells chiming to my ears. I'm very tempted to take another plunge.

The LP Special was a plunge into the unknown. Nice guitar. Great action & everything else. And it came with a fabulous gold hard-shell case I use for my Les Paul. I'll probably keep the guitar. But if someone around here makes a decent offer -- I'll plunk it down on that Jazzmaster, keep the case and never look back.

With the Jazzmaster, Les Paul and my big arch-top, I have electric guitar sounds covered. I don't need P90's. Don't even like them much. They sound too much like a Tele to my ears.

My local guitar tech is going take it to his gig and play it. He plays lead. He'll give a brief review of it in writing. He's going to suggest a different amp too after he plays it live. The Marshall MG 15CFX kinda sorta ***ks.