And Yet Another PA System Question: Going To A Powered Speaker System

• Members

I certainly hope you gave the store that demo'd them for you the chance to get your business. Did you tell them the price you could get them for elsewhere?

Absolutely. Their lowest price was about 7% off once you added tax on. Musiciansfriend stomped on that price an gave me more than double that off with free shipping and no tax. All that on top of having, from my experience, great customer service. The local shop couldn't compete. Actually, that place is not known for having particularly great prices, or service for that matter. I've never shopped there and rarely even stop in. The only reason I went was because they had the subs. There is another local place I buy almost everything, Motor City Guitar in Waterford for those in the area, who 99% of the time will beat or match musiciansfriend prices, have outstanding customer service, great selection, 10-day no questions asked return policy, etc. I buy most of my big ticket items like guitars and amps there too. Unfortunately they didn't have these subs.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Absolutely. Their lowest price was about 7% off once you added tax on. Musiciansfriend stomped on that price an gave me more than double that off with free shipping and no tax. All that on top of having, from my experience, great customer service. The local shop couldn't compete. Actually, that place is not known for having particularly great prices, or service for that matter. I've never shopped there and rarely even stop in. The only reason I went was because they had the subs. There is another local place I buy almost everything, Motor City Guitar in Waterford for those in the area, who 99% of the time will beat or match musiciansfriend prices, have outstanding customer service, great selection, etc. I buy most of my big ticket items like guitars and amps there too. Unfortunately they didn't have these subs.

That is strange as the guy I have always dealt with there (at H & B) has been top notch. And I have had the opposite exp. at MCG. I was in there for 30 mins before anyone asked if I needed any help. I had an item that B & H was selling and they wouldn't match the price (at MCG that is). Anyway, thanks for the input on where to see them local. Can I ask what your final price was? or can you shoot me a message with the info if you don't want to post it?

Cheers,

B

• Members

I don't hold my local guys's feet to the fire over sales tax - legally you're supposed to pay that yourself direct to the state when you buy over the internet. I mean, like WTF do you want them to do - take a loss on the sale?
:freak:

I agree.

• Members

I don't hold my local guys's feet to the fire over sales tax - legally you're supposed to pay that yourself direct to the state when you buy over the internet. I mean, like WTF do you want them to do - take a loss on the sale?
:freak:

So be it. Factor out the sales tax and I still got a better deal with shipping to my front door. Local or not why would I pay $330+ more plus have to carry it home? I'm all about supporting local businesses, not just with music stuff but in general...groceries, tools and hardware, services and contractor stuff, even shop at a local pharmacy over a chain. But at the same time I will take the better deal when the difference is this significant. The price made it a no brainer.

• Members

That is strange as the guy I have always dealt with there (at H & B) has been top notch. And I have had the opposite exp. at MCG. I was in there for 30 mins before anyone asked if I needed any help. I had an item that B & H was selling and they wouldn't match the price (at MCG that is). Anyway, thanks for the input on where to see them local. Can I ask what your final price was? or can you shoot me a message with the info if you don't want to post it?

Cheers,

B

I guess it depends on the item and maybe even who you know for price matching. They usually don't let me down. In some cases though I do buy elsewhere so they're not perfect either. I LOVE that no one hovers at MCG...my preference is that if I want help I'll ask otherwise leave me alone. That's why I hate GC so much! :lol: Opinions vary, but that's the way I'd rather be treated as a customer. Unless of course I look lost or something!

• Members

Shipping to your door is another issue I don't factor in when choosing a local business over the internet. On price I'll give the local guy 10% over the internet price - if he can't do that I'm gone :) . OTOH perhaps I'm "lucky" in that I don't have any "real" music stores in-town or otherwise convenient to me - the closest happens to be a GC and I have no qualms about doing MF vs GC since they are owned by the same company (and no sales tax and free shipping to my door ;)).

• Members

Sometimes (even most times) my fav local stores will beat or at least match MF or other online shops.

But on this big of a purchase, I will not pay 10% more to support the local shop, especially since there is no benefit to better customer service or anything. On smaller ticket items yes, but not something this big. 10% is a lot.

Selfish and greedy or just a smart shopper...I dunno. Call it what you will but I'll take the cheaper price.

FWIW the last big ticket item I bought was a $1k Fender DRRI amp. Bought it local and paid more for the excellent customer service and the fact that I could take and try multiple amps before making a final decision. In that case you're getting something extra (great service) for the extra amount you're spending, which makes paying that extra 10% on a large item well worth it.

Archived