And Yet Another PA System Question: Going To A Powered Speaker System

• Members

From all the research that I've done, QSC seems hard to beat. We're likely going to go this route.

We'll be using my PV 24FX board and tend to use about 16 channels live. What we're putting together is a PA that will be sufficient for small to medium clubs and even the occasional small outside gig.

We're looking at these QSC packages:

Link

We'd rather buy once; however, we don't want to spend more than we need to. We're thinking that 1 sub should be enough for what we want to do but are open to suggestions (hence this thread). I'd say our budget for mains/subs is up to ~$4k.

And...we'll need monitors. This is a separate cost in our eyes. The board we're using has 6 sends totally (including 2 for FX). We'll likely get 4 individual monitors. Is there a problem with running 4 different makes/models? What we're thinking is that band members that want their own mix will be responsible for purchasing their own monitor. Relatedly, what are some good solid choices on the low end ($300ish) up to the higher end ($800ish) that we should consider?

Thanks!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

QSC is easy to beat... you just need the budget to do so.
;)

For the money, however, QSC is hard to beat. That said, skip the K-series... go KW.

Agreed - The K series is "just ok", and IMO not a screaming value. The K series sub is actually fairly vanilla. The output and sound is nothing to write home about and the form factor is tall and narrow so stability is a concern, at least to me.

If you're looking for bang for the buck, easy to find and service if needed, the JBL PRX series is hard to beat. They are also very light weight.

For monitors I'd go with the RCF 310A or 312A all day. They are a screaming value at $400 / $450. The 312A would also be the value play in a main. In fact, 6 of the 312A's and you have some redundancy that could come in handy for putting 4 mains up for larger shows or in case something fails during a show.

• Members

Out of experience I would go with a pair of KW122 and at least one KW181 sub to start

I just sold my K10's and KSub and they do sound great but we needed more ooomph

The K10's are great as monitors and the vocals do cut thru the mix BIG TIME

I'm going after a KS Audio hi end PA system shortly but if I can't pull it off then

I will definitely get a pair of KW122 and a pair of KW181 and I'll be happy.

hope that helps

cheers,

Charles

• Members

I'm not sure why the PRX get so much love around here. When I heard them, they were nothing special to my ears. But YMMV. The QSC sounded more hi-fi..and also did not sound harsh when pushed to my ears (which seems to be a common opinion around HC). I am still searching for mains for FOH as well. I am going to try and listen to the Yamaha DSRs and the Peaveys with the ribbon tweeter before making any final decisions.

• Members

I'm not sure why the PRX get so much love around here. When I heard them, they were nothing special to my ears. But YMMV. The QSC sounded more hi-fi..and also did not sound harsh when pushed to my ears (which seems to be a common opinion around HC). I am still searching for mains for FOH as well. I am going to try and listen to the Yamaha DSRs and the Peaveys with the ribbon tweeter before making any final decisions.

Might check out EV ZXA5 while your test driving for speaker cabs.

• Members

I can't imagine, although I have not personally tested them, that a wood top box would make much difference if you plan on using subs. For me the tradeoff in weight would be the deciding factor. Just depends on what is important to you.

• Members

+1 ..the birch does make a difference

I've said this before, but plastic gets a bad rap as it's typically found in cheaper boxes. Put killer drivers in a plastic box and you get a very good sounding box. Well constructed boxes with quality materials such as the EV ZXA5, RCF 700 series, FBT ProMaxx or HiMaxx are examples.

It's my guess the drivers in the KW series are superior to those in the K series. That would be the bulk of the reason it sounds better.

• Members

What abzurd said is right on

But there's something happening in the low mids of a KW when pushed that the K12 doesn't have

It might be wood or different components but definitely the KW sounds better to my ears than the K12 when pushed.

C

• CMS Author

What abzurd said is right on

But there's something happening in the low mids of a KW when pushed that the K12 doesn't have

It might be wood or different components but definitely the KW sounds better to my ears than the K12 when pushed.

C

It depends what you mean by "low mids", but any sound in the midrange band would have pretty much no contribution from the box.

• Members

It depends what you mean by "low mids", but any sound in the midrange band would have pretty much no contribution from the box.

Hi Craigv

So it must be the components then

I had the chance to try both speakers this past weekend and there's definitely a difference

between the K12 and the KW122 when pushed. Not so much difference at low levels though.

cheers,

Charles

• Members

That's how it looks to me.

So no doubt that there is some additional low frequency loss with the plastic box as compared to the wooden box. Any speaker cabinet (and they all do) in which you can feel any vibration at all has loss. The vibration took some of the energy that was intended to be sound make the vibration. Stiffen it up with a 12 thick slab of concrete all the way round and it will put out more sound ... more in the lows especially. I just don't have a forklift available. Just one of those tradeoff things.

I think in the new world of $5 gas, portability and light weight will become a big customer demand ... not that one size has to fit all. But what would you be willing to pay for a portable PA that could cover 500 people (whatever that means) and sit on the front seat of your car?

• Members

I would recommend trhe KW's. I would have to agree with the musician. Try the other ones first. I have leaned more towards QSC over the JBL's although, we utilize the older HPR series. We are most pleased and have received a lot of compliments on our system. Heavy as hell but we have a few tools to help with that. No issiues and the six year warranty is a real nice incentive. IMHO

• Members

That's how it looks to me.

So no doubt that there is some additional low frequency loss with the plastic box as compared to the wooden box.

There's also a more obvious factor with the low frequency loss: The KW is a couple inches larger in every dimension.

• Members

So that should result in a little more low output. Again, if you cut them off by using subs do you need this?

Probably not. But if you don't, it may be a point of discussion.

Really the two lines only have a little overlap (with the 12" models). Other than that, none of them are really comparable with each other plastic, wood, or whatever.

Archived