Another question What guitar that you no longer have, do you wish you still had ? acoustic or electric

crustoleum

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No, I don't know about the valve but that shouldn't be a surprise as a computer geek. I started as a contractor and converted to Civil Service after 7 years. At first I was a computer geek on the bleeding edge of NASA technology, but having made so many first for them in the IT world, they hired me. I worked up through the ranks fairly quickly. No one understood the world on intellectual property as it related to NASA software except for the attorneys. I worked closely with the patent attorneys, export control officials, and counter intelligence to write the national Agency policy for the release of NASA developed software to the rest of the country or the world. It covers releases to other governments, industry, academia, etc. NASA HQ found out they didn't know what they were doing in that area, so they put me in charge of the national Agency team to control those releases under my policy. I sort of created my own job. I got to work with the FBI, intelligence, State Dept, Commerce Dept. and found I was being pinged for answers by Dept. of Energy, USAF, etc. on what they were doing wrong. I loved it and learned a lot about cutting edge technology. I got to play on some of the state of the art simulators while learning about the code that controlled them. Best part was feeling like I made a difference, and there was great satisfaction from serving the country. I can't go into it all, but I had many chances to protect the country, and preserve our economy. I loved my job, but I came home severely stressed with the weight of things most every night. I did it for as long as I could, but 25 years was enough and I retired two years ago so that I could enjoy my last years. I always liked to play and now I have time to. (Along the way I was diagnosed with stage 4 emphysema and a type of asthma.) Don't know how long I have left, but I choose to enjoy the time. I bought the gear I wished I had acquired years ago, and I play with it most days. I don't do well outside in humidity, heat, or cold so I am trapped indoors. Might as well play guitar. :-)

EDIT: Sorry I rambled so much. I didn't mean to write a diatribe, it just happened.

• Members

Axisplayer, that's ok me too, sometimes maybe...that sounds like a wicked job...fulfilling, I guess...I was a nuclear quality systems auditor, among other things, worked a number of industrial manufacturing jobs Siebe/Foxboro making control computers, plastics medical devices and implants, industrial switches, restaurants lol I'm retired now...thank goodness...more guitaring time now :) thank you for your reply....all :)

• Members

Not a problem. Had a lead singer who developed some.... "habits", and when I was away, my place got broken into, and ONLY 3 guitar were missing. (Out of 7) Had a feeling I knew who it was, so went over to his place, he was ripped beyond belief, and told me, after a few minutes of, ummmm, let's call it "gentle" questioning, that he took them to a pawn shop in NY, and sold them for drug money. I gave him a choice, he sty on his side of the planet, I stay on mne, he crosses that line, he stops breathing. Heard he died of an OD a few years later.

• Members

sounds like my oldest son , a few years back...he's ok now , kind of...something that many...too many , don't come back from , ever...sad :) He's doing better, somewhat :) I can only hope he stays :better" ..His problems started with doc 'scripts... ) he tore his arm out of the rotatory cuff , fell off the half pipe at the skateboard park :( had to have 3 operations to sew his arm/rebuild :( s..t happens...they can take it all,, but your ability...maybe. :( he's better now, working...plays Bb clarinet sometimes (was in the school band) several "band" friends, close buddys, musicians...gone...in their 20's sad life...I guess :( Well, enjoy what you can. If someone I know, kids friends...whatever and something is missing, I try to realize if someone does that they "need" it more than me, maybe pisses me off, I can relate, I'm lucky, somewhat, I stopped that too, mostly cigs , alcohol ,carousing...married wife is great woman imho...saved all that which had gone up in smoke, to pursue...guitaring...don't miss that s..t , too much :):(:) guitars are better...to me. that such s life...Some have no sympathy...I say "70 + 7" dig...sucks. you can always get back...some poor souls...can't :(

• Members

Welp...

After searching my memory, I can only think of one, but I couldn't have known. It was a 1978 Norman B-30 acoustic. I traded a tapedeck for it in 1979. At that time, I had 'no fixed address,' basically lived in a park in the summer, friends' couches and empty apartments during the winter. Through that interval, all I had was a small bag of clothing and that guitar. I could usually earn enough for some food with the guitar, as well as 'party favors.' A guitar takes a beating under such conditions (so do people). I didn't get a case for it until I got off the street over a year later. By 2004, when I left Canada for Germany, it was a mess. The back was coming off, and there was a patch on the back upper bout that was disintegrating. The top had a good crack, as well. Finally, at least one of the braces inside was loose, so any attempt to play the lower strings resulted in terrible vibrations that made playing the thing a waste of time.

So, I left it in Canada when I moved here. Just left it in the closet.

Fast-forward a few years, and I meet a luthier who'd been doing his thing for over 30 years. It is a fact that he could've restored that guitar, and I wouldn't have particularly worried about the cost either, as he was very fair in what he charged. I couldn't have known, and moving stuff across the ocean is expensive. But I still wish I had that guitar.

• Members

I often think of his Agile thing I had 15 years ago, sound was unreal, but had a slight buzz/"rasp" on the B string, thing was simply unreal , actually got a Epiphone lp, maybe the 2 yellow ones , and a nice little red Epiphone LP...sweet thing :) I posted pics of, may do again the thing was well , look at it :)

3qe23Yd.jpg

• Members

I traded those 3 for "Goldie" which I still have...never say never...but , never :)

ympGk1K.jpg

that's my daughter in laws male northern Australian blue tongue Skink , worlds largest species of Skink lizard :) . She raised it from an egg runs a pet store among other things, docile, eats chicken, probably tastes the same , haven't tried it yet.15 years old, can live for 50 :) fun pet :)

gold top Epiphone Riviera P93 my #3 today :) love this thing :)

:)

• Members

One of my first electrics was a Mansfield goldtop copy that I got while I was in high school. I liked the guitar a lot but was hung up on getiing a 'real' Gibson. When I was in college I got a summer job and the guy at the local music store convinced me to buy a Gibson SG III which was a very low end guitar but it had the Gibson logo on the headstock.

I sold the goldtop to buy the Gibson which was actually a step backwards. Within six months I dumped the SG and began a lifelong relationship with the Fender Stratocaster.

The regret I felt was compounded when I found out the Mansfield goldtop was a rebranded Ibanez from the so-called 'lawsuit' era. I leared a lot of songs and developed a big part of my style on that guitar - which is something I can't say about the real Gibson that replaced it.

• Members

I really liked my AS50 and used it on the road for a couple of years. It has a nice unamplified tone and feel which made it ideal fo sitting around in motel rooms watching TV.

I played it through a Master Volume Twin Reverb with an A/B box to switch the channels on the amp - a versatile rig.

No regrets tho - I really like the 335.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It would have to be my Peavy T-60 (1981?).

A. because it was the first electric guitar I ever owned.

And B. in hindsight it actually had a great tone and playability. I only traded it as part of a Les Paul "upgrade". The Les Paul was awesome but I should have paid the extra $100 and kept the Peavy as a second guitar and for when I wanted a different sound.

The other guitar I regret getting rid of was the Les Paul :0. It was the 80s, Charvels and Jacksons were king. Oh to be young and stupid again . :lol:

• Members

in 1964 my friend , directly across the street a few years older than myself , obtained a 63 64 sunbursrt stratocaster and twin reverb. I believe that was the first electric guitar I ever played . He was in a jug band ad liked the Fugs lol I have no idea where he or is "gear" is now . He also had a wah , basically when they first were available and a fuzz thing. Those were the days. I do like my strats ...Stratocasters :) I dislike that word , love the instrument but dislike typing it out even more :(

Archived