Another, another sub question...

• Members

First of all, sorry if this has been asked time and time again, but Ive never been happy with the sound of my subs for the band. Always seems muddy and or lacking power without that punch or kick Im looking for. We have an outdoor gig coming up next Sat(Memorial weekend) playing a 40' pontoon boat, docked at a sand bar. So obviously I want the best possible sound to carry out across the water. My gear, 2 Carvin 1801N subs, and 2 Crown Micro Tech 600. My question, should I be running 1 sub per amp, bridged @ 8ohms or 2 subs on 1 amp bridged @ 4ohms? Some other possible configuration? I probably dont have to mention the Carvins are 8ohm each. The other thought Ive had and tried was bypassing the internal crossover in the subs, and using a DOD EQ as a filter, cutting all the mids and highs. But when using a music source Mp3(Hip Hop) as a test, and wired 4ohm bridged, they seem to distort with mains(on the board) set at unity and the line level in set at only half way, or 12 o'clock. Is it maybe because my source is stereo and the amp/sub config is currently bridged mono? Any thoughts on a BBE crossover with the maximizer built in as a possible soloution?? Are my subs crap? Are the amps weak?? Should I give up and start knitting??? Sorry, I know Im rambling, but Im stressed out over getting this just right. Any and all help, advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated....... thank you.

ps: If it helps, Im running a pair of Carvin LM153 for tops and have a QSC USA850 available that Ive been using for monitors.

• Members

If serious - yes, bridge a 600 into each. Remove and bypass the internal crossovers in the subs and buy a DBX 223XL crossover. That will cover 200 indoors - outdoors you'll still be sucking wind, you'd need to double up all that to get any appreciable low end. And please - we'll forgive the mention of a BBE maximizer once but please watch your language in the future :eek: .

:)

• Members

Bridged, one into each amp. This amp is not rated for 4 ohms bridged so that's not even an option.

Get a real crossover. Learn a little more about how your system works (read up a bit as these topics have been discussed a lot here).

Also, outdoors, you don't have enough rig for the gig if you expect some thump.

• Members

Okay, thanks for the input. Now that I have read the data sheets on the Crown yet again, it makes perfect sense to run one sub bridged @ 8ohm per amp. Dont know why it didnt click the first 50 times I read it. I will be looking into the DBX 223XL crossover online tonite. But I have to ask, why the sore subject on the BBE maximizer??

• Members
But I have to ask, why the sore subject on the BBE maximizer??

Because they are a great evil forged in the fires of Hell and their usage hastens the coming of the Apocalypse. Oh, and they only sound good to those with damaged hearing - hence there popularity amongst musicians and the universal hatred amongst the decent sound guys of them.

• Members

I was on another forum recently where someone said that had a few spare bucks to sink into their PA and asked for suggestions....

The BBE came up right off, and you wouldn't believe all the +1s and +100s they got.

• Members
I was on another forum recently where someone said that had a few spare bucks to sink into their PA and asked for suggestions....

The BBE came up right off, and you wouldn't believe all the +1s and +100s they got.

Was that over on the PSW (Pissed off Sound Wienies) forum?

• Members

Your ears are your ears. The real electrical engineers here can explain their issues but I'm not an electrical engineer. I have never heard a Sodomy Bastardizer sound good. I've stood next to people that thought the sound was the second coming of Christ but it was piss poor to my ears. I suppose they can be used for neat effects on guitar but as far as a system add on? No. Most of the "enhancements" can be done using a decent EQ and a good set of speakers and ears. The BBE is the single most over rated and actually useless piece of gear I've ever heard. That and maybe some of those nice $1000 IEC cords for really cleaning the electric circuit.

The masses are asses and with the thousands of "happy" BBE owners out there, that old adage is once again proven true. YMMV

• Members

The only thing I've ever heard a Maximizer give a pleasant outcome was on a guitar. I've also heard them on bass and inserted on a vocal and it wasn't horrible. Created a unique sound.

HOWEVER, on a PA it's an abomination.

• Members

Once again, thanks for all the input. I ended up picking up an older DriveRack PA over the weekend for a fair price. I figured for what I would spend on a DBX 223XL crossover, Im getting that plus all the other features of the DRPA for a few $$ more. I have not got around to setting it up in the rack yet, hopefully tonite.

• Members
I figured for what I would spend on a DBX 223XL crossover, Im getting that plus all the other features of the DRPA for a few $$ more.

... and all the "fun" of figuring out how to configure it properly :freak::lol:. I have one of those on the shelf - I use a 223 + stereo 31 band EQ instead. Much easier to use the latter ...

• Members

Once again, thanks for all the input. I ended up picking up an older DriveRack PA over the weekend for a fair price. I figured for what I would spend on a DBX 223XL crossover, Im getting that plus all the other features of the DRPA for a few $$ more. I have not got around to setting it up in the rack yet, hopefully tonite.

There is a learning curve with the DRPA but it isn't that bad if you start slowly and add functionality as you go. Do not blindly trust the wizard and keep it simple. The DR units are very good EQs and crossovers and the feedback suppression is usable. Don't feel like you need to use all the toys. Start with EQ and crossover. The EQ takes some practice and at least for me, a good pair of reading glasses. Running EQ off of that screen is a bit of a PITA but it is a good sounding unit if set up correctly.

Archived