I need to get my Clavinet out of the garage

Mr.Grumpy

• Members

It worked when I first bought it, late 80s or early 90s. It was beat to heck cosmetically, which is why I could afford it. The hinged lid is missing, as is the top of the case. Back then of course, no one wanted them, because a DX-7 is lighter and does other sounds too. :)

I drug it out of storage a few years back and discovered the little nubby rubber string hammers had rotted away, but in this wonderful time of internet searches, found a vintage keyboard place that sells replacement parts! I bought the nubby rubber string hammers and replaced them, but now there's an electronics problem. Luckily I have some skills there too.

• Members

I DID drag it out last night, and remembered why I left it in there for so long. It's HEAVY! Probably not a hundred pounds, but easily over 50 pounds, and it's not evenly distributed either, one end is much heavier, I suppose due to the metal plate under the cabinet. I placed it on an 'Ultimate' brand keyboard X-stand, it seems to support the weight OK.

In the garage...lots of dust and spiderwebs.

fetch?filedataid=126747

• Members
Any other electronics issues besides the missing 9 volt battery?

I think one of the pickups isn't working, probably why it was "garaged" to begin with. My memory's vague, but I apparently installed a new "output wire" from the preamp to the output jack.

Did you check out the guys over at Vintage Vibe they do some great work on Clav's?
Yes I have, they're a great resource. I bought the little rubber hammer tips from them, and they other parts too. They are the only reason it's even possible to restore this thing.

*edit* Checked it out last night, no sound at first, so I got out the multimeter. Turns out the on/off switch isn't working, so I put an alligator clip jumper across the switch and was able to get some sounds, but something still isn't right with the pickups and/or the pickup switching.

Archived