Tremolo spring rubbing against wood in body cavity.

eyobeez

• Members

Hey guys,

I LOVE my '89 Peavey Tracer Deluxe, but it has a Kahler Spyder system on it that will not stay in tune. I replaced a few bridge and nut clamps that were worn out, I took out the bridge post inserts and glued them back in (they're now rock steady), and I thought that would do the trick. To be sure, it has helped, but I set the guitar up yesterday, hoping to God and Kerry King that the damn thing would stay in tune, and noticed that one of the springs is rubbing against the wood in the body cavity. Could fixing this be the answer to my prayers?

Have any of you had this problem? Should I just sand down the paint and wood back there so there's more room between the body and the spring?

What do you all think?

--E

• Members

Kahler has some great videos and instructions on their website. They also have routing dimensions for all of there trems - I would start by making sure that the cavity is routed to their specs. After that just follow the instructions. One of the cool features of Kahler is how easy it is to adjust the tremolo action based on different string tensions and setups - however that also means they are pretty easy to screw up. I just installed one on a Jagstang (short scale low tension) it is was easy to get the movement.

Archived