weekend with the EV LiveX

• Members

As I mentioned in another post, i went out and bought a couple of the new ELX112p EV liveX series this past week. Saturday i set up a few PA systems at a big outdoor car show, the main system for the band stage consisted of the little ELX112p over two QSC 181i subs. This was a pretty big area to cover so i was a bit nervous about how small they looked on the stands.

first off they are built pretty well. Very small cabinets, very light. that's really why I wanted them. These are easy to pack, easy to get on a stand. The knobs and control plate are reasonably constructed. Not quite as hearty as the QSC or the EV ZXa5, like the knobs feel, but i understand at this price point you have to compromise a bit. Very well constructed cabinets, attractive. One handle. No fly points or tilt stand adaptors. The black bedliner type coating seems fairly thin...and it already scratched through within the first hour when i hit it unloading a mic stand. Looks like slip covers are on my list.

How do they sound? Great. The 12 sounds quite good. The HF, upon first impression sounded sort of spitty if that makes sense, almost smeared. i found a slight 1db notch at 6.3k and 5k smoothed them out. Perhaps not as smooth as the

hpr 153i I usually take ..but for the ease :thu:

These things get loud . I had my asst go up and watch the clip light as I cranked up the CD to some fairly substantial levels. they kept their composure, didn't rat out and kept getting louder. More than enough for this 125' area. The gig went very well with them. They looked tiny up there in the park but really delivered. I am pretty happy with them so far. My thoughts were leaning toward another pair or three more to use as monitors.

• Members

what kind of music at what volume?

I have my test CD I bring to most shows as a baseline. Mostly Classic rock, Old school funk, blues and some newer singer songwriter pop stuff like J Mayer, maroon5, Train, etc. The band that played was a 4 piece funk, soul, blues, rock band. I had kick, snare, OH, bass, two guitars and 3 vocals through the system. I didnt db meter the show. I was simply surprised at how loud and nice sounding the EVs were for such a small cab...and for their price point. I am especially excited that I have found a small, light, low cost alternative for these kinds of shows.

• Members

Cool! I would love to hear them in action. Whens your next show?

I have 4 shows to mix this weekend, one on my C rig, one at Fender, and two name shows up in the mountains Sunday and Monday. The latter are on the EV TourX. Nothing on the LiveX cabs for a bit..what do you have coming up?

• Members

How does the new ev live compare to the tour x for sound and volume?

I've not compared them side by side. I do love the TourX a lot, very smooth, they get real loud without sounding ratty and have also outperformed their price in my opinion. I've done about 40 events on the TourX system, only one on these LiveX. Personally they are pretty close. I'm trying to create some smaller, lighter rigs with less trips to the van, and yet without giving up too much quality or performance. I think these LiveX might be the ticket. I've been seriously considering 4 of the subs and 2 to 4 more tops. I have the QSC HPR, but at around 125 lbs each, the ELX118p are like 45 lbs lighter and a couple/few inches smaller all around. Generally, Active cabs in general sound better quicker. I'm trying to cut out a few racks of power amps and processing. My only wish was that one model of the series had a narrow disp horn, rotatable or a 60 deg option for splaying two cabs together.

• Members

I have 4 shows to mix this weekend, one on my C rig, one at Fender, and two name shows up in the mountains Sunday and Monday. The latter are on the EV TourX. Nothing on the LiveX cabs for a bit..what do you have coming up?

Figures, Im out of town this weekend, again! Heading up to South Dakota and back on Monday.

Maybe next show.

Archived