Can Home Keyboards Be Used For Gigging and Recording?

Mark7

• Members

I realise this question's probably already been answered many times over the past 20 years. But... Since HC search doesn't have an advanced option which will enable me to filter out all the stuff I don't need, you're just going to have to see it again.

I'm thinking of buying a home keyboard (Casio CTK 3*** or Yamaha PSR 5**) for adding keyboard sounds to my recordings and playing live. I could, of course, just get a midi keyboard and attach it to my computer and then use software to emulate various instruments but my computer isn't very mobile (it's a desktop). Which means such a set up would be useless to me when I want to play live. Hence I'm asking about cheap (sub £200) non midi keyboards. And the reason they have to be cheap is because I'm on a low budget and my credit rating is atrocious.

So, the question is, do keyboards at this level produce a good enough simulation of the various instruments they're trying to emulate to be used for backing tracks/work? Has anyone here employed this type of keyboard in such a role?

You'd be severely restricting yourself in terms of recording if the keyboard has no MIDI whatsoever, but you should be able to find a model in your price range with USB MIDI on it. That isn't much use to you live (because unlike 5 pin MIDI, you need to use a computer with it), but it will be useful when recording, and would allow you to use computer-based virtual instruments (many of which are available for free, or come bundled with many DAW programs) as well as the onboard sounds in the Yamaha or Casio.

And yes, there's no reason why you can't use such a keyboard for live performances if you want to.

Hey Phil. When I mentioned MIDI I was thinking of MIDI controller keyboards that need an external software source. Not keyboards with MIDI In/Out/Through.

I see... :)

Keyboard controllers (what you're describing) have no onboard sound generators of their own, and many of them come equipped with only USB-MIDI, and not the old 5-pin MIDI jacks. USB-MIDI is fine if you want to take a computer along with you as a sound source, but does you no good if you're connecting to a hardware synth module - for that you'd need a keyboard with the 5 pin MIDI DIN jacks on it.

It sounds like what you want is a keyboard with onboard sounds, and you're right - a lot of models designed for home use are available, and they tend to be inexpensive and could be used live with no problem. However, I would still advise you to make sure that the model you get has MIDI of some kind on it - not all portable / home / consumer keyboards do, and it would be a very useful feature to have - not so much for live use as for when you're doing recordings.

• Members

Instrument quality will be passable on the modern stuff, always check the basic piano as the guide but careful if you drift into using on board rhythms etc.

I dealt with this definitively some years back in communication with Yamaha legal guys. So quality aside bear in mind

You cannot use the built in rhythms or demos on home keyboards for recording other than direct recording a live performance on the instrument.

Live performance as opposed to studio should be fine. Anything involving sampling or studio tracking and processing is out.

The above will likely include prerecorded sequencing of those copyright elements. You can write yourself, not sure

I will see if I can find their letter and post it. Remember I am only the messenger here so there is no point arguing with me about that, it's what they said :)

UPDATE: Surprisingly I still have the email! Here ya go this is the actual fickle wording

Dear ******(chordite)

Thank you for your email regarding the Style Copyright on your Yamaha PSR290

You are permitted to use the Yamaha automatic accompaniments for public performance and recording provided that the accompaniment is used on the product and in the manner for which it has been specifically designed. The data cannot be accessed or used for any other purpose.

I hope this helps and thank you for contacting Yamaha Music Europe GmbH (UK).

Kind Regards

*********** (yamaha guy)

Technical Support Team

• Members

Good news :D

Popped into my local Cash Convertors today to see what they had and saw a Casio CTK 711 on sale for only £60.

Gave it a quick go and put a £12 deposit on. Just got to pay off the remaining £48 and it's mine :music022:

Archived