political gig today...gotta get sniffed by the dog

• Members

I run a sound gig twice a year for politicians. Today is the Memorial Day thing, and the governor is speaking.

I'm not sure if I hate this part or not, but they always bring the biggest, baddest looking German Shepard dog over who gives me the 'once-over' by sniffing me. I understand the dog is trying to detect weapons, explosives, cats, whatever... And he always takes an extra long sniff of my crotch. I mean like uncomfortably long. Like your creepy uncle that hugged you an extra long time when you were a kid....

Ah, the challenges of being "the sound guy".

• Members

i've had the governor of ND on my stage and there was no security anywhere to be found.

either we ND'ans trust each other or are packing, or both. not sure. in any case i am no fan f this growing police state we live in. its been slow to take hold in ND, who knows maybe we will break off from the union.

• Members

who knows maybe we will break off from the union.

I seem to remember that not working out so well for the last fellas to try that :( .

When it comes to politics I try to remember two things:

#1 Don't vote - it only encourages the bastards.

#2 Politics is derived from "poly" = "many" and "ticks" = "blood sucking parasites".

'nuff said :D .

• Members

So you guys are saying that I need to put a small amount of Kibbles and Bits in my tighty-whities and see if the dog can find it? At least I think that's the drift I'm getting here...

Aw, I've been sniffed for years by the dog. I seriously think that it makes politicians think they are more important than they really are to see everyone being 'searched'. Of course, given the recent events with psycho's and government officials, I guess they have reasons to be diligent.

I don't mind the security as much as mind the need for "political correctness", which seems to only really apply to me, and NOT to everyone else that I'm around.

About the only background music that's acceptable for these events is my David Sanborn/Bob James "Double Vision" CD. I've tried everything else and people complained.

Being the soundguy sometimes is a heavy, heavy burden. Join with me singing, will ya?.... "No-body knows, the troubles I've seen..."

• Members

I remember running for a governors conference and getting the full treatment by several secret service and thier dogs. We had to pile all the equipment in a lot in the rain for the dogs to go over, before bringing it inside, then it was our turn. As this dog was taking an extraordinary amount of time sniffing my crotch, I remarked to the men in black that "the last time I got this kind of action, I had to buy dinner and a couple bottles of wine first." The usually stone-faced security team laughed briefly (mere seconds) before regaining their composure, but it sure broke the ice and made for a much more pleasant evening in a tense working environment.

• Members

So you guys are saying that I need to put a small amount of Kibbles and Bits in my tighty-whities and see if the dog can find it? At least I think that's the drift I'm getting here...

Aw, I've been sniffed for years by the dog. I seriously think that it makes politicians think they are more important than they really are to see everyone being 'searched'. Of course, given the recent events with psycho's and government officials, I guess they have reasons to be diligent.

I don't mind the security as much as mind the need for "political correctness", which seems to only really apply to me, and NOT to everyone else that I'm around.

About the only background music that's acceptable for these events is my David Sanborn/Bob James "Double Vision" CD. I've tried everything else and people complained.

Being the soundguy sometimes is a heavy, heavy burden. Join with me singing, will ya?.... "No-body knows, the troubles I've seen..."

try the luftwaffe march, they tend to like music from their roots.

• Members
try the luftwaffe march, they tend to like music from their roots.

That's a bit unfair - they stole the idea of facism from the Italians. Many political historians believe that fascism is the natural evolution of a democracy = two wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner :D .

• Members

That's a bit unfair - they stole the idea of facism from the Italians. Many political historians believe that fascism is the natural evolution of a democracy = two wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner
:D

well maybe we should all go get arrested for dancing at the jefferson memorial; you know, free speech and all those other bill of rights we used to have.

• Members

well maybe we should all go get arrested for dancing at the jefferson memorial; you know, free speech and all those other bill of rights we used to have.

I have to say it's more than just a wee bit questionable for someone to be complaining so vehemently about a perceived lack/loss of freedom...when they are doing soon a public message board on the internet.

Perspective, please.

• Members

i'll trump your perspective with the 1st ammendment please, although this forum is not public; its owned by HC. totally different. BOR does not apply here

This site is ACCESSIBLE to the public, which is the point you seem to be avoiding.

My point stands, 100%; you talk a lot of hyperbole about all the freedoms being taken away from US citizens, etc.

RE: 1st Amendment...you just typed what you did, correct?

I wonder if you have any perspective on what things are like in other parts of the world:

Like in China where a post like yours (or mine) on a message board like this would never be allowed.

Or in Egypt when the country's government SHUT DOWN the internet. Completely.

Of course, you're welcome to your opinions and welcome to post them as you see fit (In and of itself proof against your claims of 1st Amendment Freedoms being infringed upon), but again...

Perspective, please.

• Members

i have indeed spent time in china, germany, austria, spain, france, and mexico.

hopefully we can keep this expeiment in liberty of ours from devolving into the likes of china, but remember every little drop of repression can slowly become part of an ocean.

• Members

I do a lot of progressive political events. I've had the last two Colorado Governors on my mics. (Last time for a bill signing.) There are always State Police around the Capitol building, but I've never been sniffed. (Never seen a dog, so I'm doubly blest.) Two days before then Presidential candidate John Kerry coming to speak, I did see and talk with some secret service dudes at an event I was providing sound for. (They were incognito. Dark suits, sun glasses, polished shoes and ear pieces. Never notice them.) I do so many political events, that the name of the politician isn't very important.

• Members
(They were incognito. Dark suits, sun glasses, polished shoes and ear pieces. Never notice them.)

Dunno what it's like where you live but we don't have a whole lot of them "men in black" types wandering about - they'd stick out like a sore thumb here :lol:.

• Members

I did sound at a political event a couple of years ago that had secret service guys there. They ran a dog, and they were wearing the dark suits, sunglasses, earpieces, all had the same haircut...serously, they all looked exactly the same. Nobody else, and I mean NOBODY else looked like that at that event.

• Members

This happens to us about 5 or 6 times a year for the kinds of events we do. Not a big deal, when they run our names and SSN's or DL's, each information check request pops up and I've got hundreds from feds and state authorities. I just pass on through, they know more about me than I do! This kind of thing goes with the territory. I have done events with all of the past presidents going back to Gerald Ford (except Bush).

I don't mind one bit, I am in the building and could get hurt if something bad were to happen. Why should I care if a dog takes a long sniff... as long as he doesn't bite.

• Members

The only time my gear and I were sniffed was when I was lighting Jimmy Carter at a fund raiser being televised. I like dogs better than politicians.

Yeah I agree totally. The thought of getting sniffed by politicians is certainly unsettling :poke:

• Members

Was playing bass at a blue grass festival in when the governor made an unscheduled appearance. For some reason the dogs did not like the Glock 19 I had in the back pocket of my upright's case. The deputy gave the Glock back to me when the big guy left but failed to return the magazine.

• Members

IMO politicians aren't as bad as big corporate folks. Politicians have already got their job secured (and if they're running again, they're out to please) but the underlings running the shows for "the big boss" in the private sector are either in fear of losing their job or brown nosing (often at your expense). Politicians are usualy just large hot wind bags. I recently tech'd a meeting where 3 state senators spoke. It was amazing that they did Q & A and spoke for around 45 minutes but never said anything - not a thing - I listened intently and not one of them really committed solidly to any idea or really said anything beyond "nice weather". It was truly amazing.

• Members

IMO politicians aren't as bad as big corporate folks. Politicians have already got their job secured (and if they're running again, they're out to please) but the underlings running the shows for "the big boss" in the private sector are either in fear of losing their job or brown nosing (often at your expense). Politicians are usualy just large hot wind bags. I recently tech'd a meeting where 3 state senators spoke. It was amazing that they did Q & A and spoke for around 45 minutes but never said anything - not a thing - I listened intently and not one of them really committed solidly to any idea or really said anything beyond "nice weather". It was truly amazing.

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=147821&title=c-span9-debate

• Members

Patriotic music. (Hoping it sinks in for some)...

This just reminded me of one of the oldest tricks in the book. You always end your show with a patriotic song ("proud to ba an American" is a good one) and if possible unfurl an American flag at the last chorus. It's an almost guaranteed standing ovation. It's a cheap shot (and IMO almost sacreligiously unpatriotic) but i've seen it done sooo many times.

As much as I bitch about out social ills, I'm actualy pretty patriotic (that's why I try to complain WITH some options to fix the problems). Yesterday I went to visit my fathers grave at a veterans cemetary (WWII and Korea) and thought about all of the blood spilled to keep that right to openly complain available to us. It's a patriotic duty to try to always make your society better (voting your concience is a good start).

On a lighter note though, as many comedians have stated over the years "If politicians ever stop behaving badly - We'll run out of material".

:D:D

Archived