Binding coming loose

Jazzer2020

• Members

Assuming that it is plastic binding you can wick thin CA (super glue) into the crack. I like to rub a little bit of wax (parafin) next to the crack to keep the glue from running out onto the finish. Use a little pipette to apply it, then scrape back very carefully with a box cutter blade. Tape the binding tightly in place leaving little gaps between pieces of tape, Apply a tiny bit of CA between the pieces of tape (you don't want to glue them to the guitar), then pull the tape and apply a little more where the tape was located.

StewMac #10, LMI or GlueBoost are good sources, make sure you get the water thin stuff - you might be able to find it at a model shop but usually the box hardware stores don't have it.

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and...uper_Glue.html

• Members
Assuming that it is plastic binding you can wick thin CA (super glue) into the crack. I like to rub a little bit of wax (parafin) next to the crack to keep the glue from running out onto the finish. Use a little pipette to apply it, then scrape back very carefully with a box cutter blade. Tape the binding tightly in place leaving little gaps between pieces of tape, Apply a tiny bit of CA between the pieces of tape (you don't want to glue them to the guitar), then pull the tape and apply a little more where the tape was located.

Thanks Freeman.

I lost you where you talked about "Apply a tiny bit of CA between the pieces of tape (you don't want to glue them to the guitar), then pull the tape and apply a little more where the tape was located."

I believe I have already applied the glue into the crack and then taped the binding.

Then you want me to apply more glue between the pieces tape? Not sure why? The binding would already be flush with the guitar.

If I apply glue now it would sit on top of the binding!

• Members

No, before you start gluing, tape the binding as tightly as you can leaving gaps in the tape.

IMG_3342_zpsbgqnubqy.jpg

Apply tiny drops of glue between the tape - that will hold the binding in place when you pull the tape. The go all the way along the seam,. Sorry I wasn't more clear, I wasn't thinking linearly. The thin CA really does wick itself into the gap by capillary action - its pretty cool. However a tiny bit will be left on top - that has to be scraped off with a razor or box cutter blade. Trying to sand it can just make it worse (often the hardest part of any repair is the cosmetics)

Archived