Vivkie Genfan

Chris Loeffler

• Members

Percussive guitar is a trending thing that has a place in entertainment circles but not so much in guitar playing circles. I mean, get a drummer fer crissake. Tommy's "I am the band" is the mantra though I am waiting for cymbals between his knees, a bass kick on his left foot and kazoo/harp/horn/whistle/whatever on his spit rack, etc., etc. The guitar has been shanghaied in this kind of entertainment that sacrificially diminishes melody, subordinates the fretboard to the percussive mind for the sake of being percussive and leaves the guitar itself, generally speaking, no where to be appreciated as a purpose-built instrument. That's from anyone but a purist. I'm not an acoustic guitar player by that standard because I'm always plugged. The first tap, bump, throttling of the sound box gets to see my heels.

• Members

The video is from 2009 when that style was all the rage, but to my ear it has become as dated as two handed tapping that was frankly overused from the late 1970s through the 1980s. In fact, I'd call the genre of music as being a fusion of world music and jazz but with more focus on rhythm loops rather than melodic passages.

Archived