Single conductor Humbuckers with a 5 way switch?

SwayzeExpress

• Members

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for 2 humbuckers with single conductors, 1 volume, 1 tone, with a 5 way switch (import)?

I have a set of Seth Lover single conductor pickups that I would like to install in my hotrod Strat. The stock humbuckers that are currently installed have 4 conductors, is it even possible to use these pickups in this configuration?

Attached is a crudely drawn diagram of the current wiring.

http://i.imgur.com/NV1VkaC.jpg

• Moderators

I don't know what you mean by single conductor. Every pickup needs at least two conductors in order to form a complete circuit. Do you have a single lead with two conductors, perhaps a shielded coaxial lead (a center conductor and a conducting shield surrounding it)?

• Members
I don't know what you mean by single conductor. Every pickup needs at least two conductors in order to form a complete circuit. Do you have a single lead with two conductors' date=' perhaps a shielded coaxial lead (a center conductor and a conducting shield surrounding it)?[/quote']

Thanks for responding.

What I mean is that my new pickups only have one connection https://porterpickups.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/braided.jpg

while my current pickups have 5 https://porterpickups.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/4conductorwiring.jpg

• Moderators

Okay, I see. Yes, that is a two-conductor cable, the center wire being one and the braided shield being the other.

Your two-conductor wire is the same as if the green and white leads were soldered together and taped off, not connected to anything else. The center wire is the same as the black wire, and the braided shield is the same as the red and bare wires soldered together. From your diagram, it looks as though it would work in place of the neck pickup, but not the bridge, which uses the four wires separately.

• Members

Humbuckers with 4 or 5 wires allow you access to each coil in the humbucker as a separate single coil pickup and can be wired to switch in series like a normal two wire humbucker, individually as single coils, or parallel. this gives you numerous switching combinations

Standard HB's (Two wire/Hot and shield) Only allow 3 way switching. Position #1. Bridge only #2. Bridge and Neck #3. Neck only.

You cant get any more configuration from the pickups themselves so a 5 way switch is useless to you unless you had a 3rd pickup and wired it like a standard strat.

You can either install a 3 way switch or get creative using some caps as high pass/low pass filters, but there are no other pickup coil configurations to add to the switch. You cant even run the coils in series because you cant put shielded wire in series without massive amounts of hum. The only config you have is a standard Les Paul Wiring configuration. Of course, if the pickups sound good, that's all any decent guitarist needs.

Archived