Should I buy this Peavey PA stuff?...amp suggestions also welcome:)

• Members

I am looking for a PA for my 5-piece band and also to DJ. Mostly weddings and parties and stuff...maybe outdoor stuff ocassionally, but nothing super loud.

There's a guy selling 2 Peavey SP4 mains with 2 matching Peavey 1x18 subs. He says they are all from the late 90's. He said he would take $750 for all of it. But I might be able to get him even lower. Here are the pictures.

IMG00469-20110416-1234.jpg

IMG00467-20110416-1228.jpg

Is this a good deal? Are these decent speakers?

While I have some expert attention, I'd love amp suggestions for this setup too. I guess I'd need a crossover as well? Sorry I'm a newb.

• Members

I would say late 80's earlly 90s. I owned that style SP-4 in 1990. They are heavy... $600 would be a better deal.

what did you think of them? how different would they be from the modern SP-4s?

• Members

what did you think of them? how different would they be from the modern SP-4s?

I had then when I was starting out. Kind of the bigger the more bad ass mentality. I don't know much about the newer SP line other then they are still pretty heavy and they have speakons now. I would image there would of been improvements on drivers in the last 20 years.

The best thing about Peavey are you can rebuild on the spot and the replacements are affordable.

• Members

If in good shape, they'd probably suffice. As mentioned though, VERY heavy and just all around awkward. You'll need help to move them anywhere and obviously will need a vehicle capable of transporting it all. If you're cash strapped though it may be worth the shortcomings, especially if you're just basically messing around. If you're actually doing professional wedding gigs for real money though I'd recommend something more practical, particularly for the DJ gigs where I'm guessing you'd be flying solo. Loading all that into a downtown hotel ballroom is going to suck.

• Members

If in good shape, they'd probably suffice. As mentioned though, VERY heavy and just all around awkward. You'll need help to move them anywhere and obviously will need a vehicle capable of transporting it all. If you're cash strapped though it may be worth the shortcomings, especially if you're just basically messing around. If you're actually doing professional wedding gigs for real money though I'd recommend something more practical, particularly for the DJ gigs where I'm guessing you'd be flying solo. Loading all that into a downtown hotel ballroom is going to suck.

Heavy is annoying, but to us it is worth the trouble. What I am more interested in is the sound quality. I have read mostly good things about modern SP4's. I am in no way an expert on PA gear, but I do want something with plenty of clarity and punch.

Assuming I don't get sick of lugging these around, will I want to upgrade pretty soon because the quality is not up to par?

• Members

Assuming I don't get sick of lugging these around, will I want to upgrade pretty soon because the quality is not up to par?

it really depends on your expectations. this setup will be better sounding than a JRX rig for sure (by far) but wont compete with an MRX setup nor will it compete with T252's over MTL1's although the weight will compete with the T252/MTL1 setup.

its fairly low power stuff, but its reliable.

the tops - i like the way the modernish sp4g's sound - they are pretty smooth but not perfect and they do sound like an MI speaker. i would say they compete with the club series and EV entry level stuff but are a little better than those examples. the OLD sp4's i have never heard but they are not like the SP4g. the drivers are ok so maybe with some DSP they might do ok.

the subs - i have four of these and i like them - but do understand that black widows really arent the best subs out there. these subs are an awkward size and are on the large size for truck packing, I cannot lift one more than a foot off the ground, and they only take around 250 to 350 watts RMS. 4 of them do get pretty poundy in a hole in the wall bar, 2 of them are fairly anemic but i used 2 for 3 years.

i think $750 is a little high but not awful, try and haggle. the subs sell for around $200 to $400 a pair, the tops sell for similar.

Archived