ELECTRIC GUITAR STRANGS ON AN ACOUSTIC

rlspencer

• Members

Hi Folkes! I put 10/11s electric guitar strangs on all my acoustic as a matter of course. both electrified acoustic and plain acoustic. Nickel wound only. unwound third. I can do more stuff with electric strangs,Bending, leads,ect... it seems they last longer, stay in tune mo bettah and just feel better to my fangers. Yes the tone is different from bronze but not in a bad way. I tune a whole step down to accommodate my aging vocals and they work just fine. has anyone else tried electric strangs on their acoustic and if so how do you like it? http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=2027411

• Members

I should think that putting strings like that on an acoustic, then tuning down a whole step, you'd have the slinkiest, sloppiest acoustic in town, and entirely devoid of anything resembling ''tone''.

But hey, if you like it that way, more power to you, rlspencer.

I support your right to string it that way and to like it.

It's a free country.

(It is a free country; isn't it?)

Please post a recording for us when you get a few minutes.

I, for one, would love to hear it.

Oh, wait- maybe you did.

I'm listening now.

Yeah, I think you did.

• Members

Whatever works for you. I just ran the string tension calculator for a typical 25.4 scale acoustic with 10 - 46 strings (unwound third) tuned down two semitones (D to D) - it is 93 pounds verse the normal 165 for 12's at concert or 175 for 13's. Frankly I couldn't play that, but it sounds like you are fine with it.

Obviously you have tweaked the compensation to correct for the string gauges and particularly that plain third. You've probably had less relief and certainly a much floppier action.

..... Yes the tone is different from bronze but not in a bad way. I tune a whole step down to accommodate my aging vocals and they work just fine. has anyone else tried electric strangs on their acoustic and if so how do you like it? http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=2027411

I listened part way thru, I think you nailed it. The tone is different..,.

• Members

I use nickel-steel strings on my old Eko Ranger - fitted with a magnetic PU. The strings play and sound fine - but they are 12 gauge with a wound 3rd and tuned to standard E. I have used n/s 10's on my 12 string, but again tuned in standard E.

• Members
Hi Folkes! I put 10/11s electric guitar strangs on all my acoustic as a matter of course. both electrified acoustic and plain acoustic. Nickel wound only. unwound third. I can do more stuff with electric strangs' date='Bending, leads,ect... it seems they last longer, stay in tune mo bettah and just feel better to my fangers. Yes the tone is different from bronze but not in a bad way. I tune a whole step down to accommodate my aging vocals and they work just fine. has anyone else tried electric strangs on their acoustic and if so how do you like it? http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=2027411[/quote']

My archtop does double-duty. So I've put electric strings on it for the past year or so. I miss nothing from a drop-off in volume because it's a loud guitar either way. I think electric strings compliment the acoustic tone of the guitar.

It has a plunkier tone - less acoustic sustain - but still a good sound. Archtops don't have a lot of acoustic-sustain anyway. Also, the electric strings are a match for the magnetic mini-humbucker.

I've tried electric strings on flat-top guitars. I didn't like

the results. They might last longer though.

• Members

I'm going to make a recommendation. Martin SP Flexible Core, either MFX740 12's or MFX775 11's. They're easier to bend than regular acoustic strings so they'll give you the easy bends you want but they're actually made for acoustic and the wound third means they'll intonate correctly. If they're not available where you are, Sweetwater sells them cheap on eBay. 10's at concert pitch are very light for acoustic. You really don't want anything lighter unless you're stringing a 12-string. Tuning down a full tone means about 21% less tension so 11's will sound like 10's at concert pitch, 12's will sound more or less like 10.5's, etc. I'm not saying you can't put electric strings on your acoustic, as long as you're happy with a wooden object that sounds vaguely guitarlike, although you should at least use a set with a wound third so they'll intonate halfway correctly, and as Queequeg says it's a free country, but it's not something I'd recommend.

• Members

this has turnt into an interesting thread. you cats are smart fellers smart fellers smart fellers for sure. I do value your opinions and this wealth of knowledge (some of which I hope to glean) which resides in all of you goode folkes.

been doin it goin this way for going on two decades and aint run in to any of the intonation issues.

sounds just like the standard cept I can sang all the songs just the same. goode sustain, chords ring out just like standard tuning. no obvious difference except for lower pitch that I have to capo up for certain songs.

I tried useing 12s but they are too bulky for my little fangers.

Sometimes I cant get 11s which is my drug of choice so I was forced to use 10s. They are a bit floppy a whole step down which is why I go for a heavier gauge yet I make 10s work just fine in a pinch after a rigorous stretching and a bit of set up on a new guitar. once I set up a guitar for 11s. I must keep elevens on it so no tedious reset. Depending on what I'm doing decides which strang guage I employ.

so tens or elevens work well, just have to get used to it.

like a scalloped fret board..

• Members
. . . been doin it goin this way for going on two decades and aint run in to any of the intonation issues. . . .

In that case you've been lucky. I know from personal experience that when I tried strings with plain thirds on my 12-string acoustic it wouldn't stay in tune up the neck. I like to support local business as much as the next guy but if you're having trouble finding 11's you can buy a set of D'Addario EXL115W on eBay. They also have the advantage of having a wound third. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAddario-EXL115W-Nickel-Wound-3rd-Electric-Guitar-Strings-11-49-Picks-/222579383978?epid=1500055145&hash=item33d2c3deaa:g:qTcAAOSw7FRWZhxc). I've used the 10-46 version of those on my Schecter electric with good results.

• Members

I'm curious what kind of acoustic you are playing, whether you are using a mic or onboard transducer to do your recording, what kind of transducer (or mic) and signal chain.

Also a bit about your technique - I hear pretty generic strumming during your vocals and some single string lead work (overdubbed?) on the solo (however the solo really doesn't stand out in the mix). I didn't hear any significant bending yet you mentioned that in your first post - how many steps do you like to bend and which strings?

I happen to build and work on guitars and I have one customer who requests 10's on his acoustics (but tuned to concert pitch). I use phosphor bronze with a wound third and spend a lot of time tweaking the setup to get his guitar playable without buzzing. He strictly plays plugged in (piezo UST) and says he can tolerate a little bit of string noise as long as the pickup doesn't sense it.

I'll add one final thought - years ago I did record and post a bunch of different sound clips of different strings on several of my guitars. I didn't post songs, only single notes on each string, trying to see what (if any) the difference in tone was. All strings were the same gauges but there were different compositions and coatings. I can hear a difference in those clips (as could others) and as a result I formed opinions about the best strings for my guitars. One of the string sets was nickle electric strings - frankly no body liked them.

Bottom line, I'm glad you found something that is working for you and thank you for sharing it with us here.

• Members

Hello Freeman Keller, could be one of two YAIRIS or one of three YAMAHAS or one of a few Epiphones or any number of beaters that I liked at the time. I cannot keep track, sometimes it'll be a borrowed ax. I use a variety of micing options depends iffen the guitar in question has a pick up or not.Sometimes I'll use two mics one a bit further away. I do single lines and Diads and triads. I do bend any and all strings mostly a half or whole step sometimes I'll bend em a bit more OR LESS. I use what I have and make it all work. I'm no engineer, learning as I go. I study and try then listen to my efforts and study some more. Always learnin something new. Here is another taste of my engineering skills http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=2027411

• Members

II'm not sure what you've just told me, but OK. I happen to build guitars and I'm an engineer, and when somebody does something that's a little different than the accepted norm I frequently ask how and why they do it. Obviously you make it work, I was just a little more curious about your guitar(s), technique, and how you made the clip.

It wouldn't work for me but I'm glad it does for you. Thanks for posting

• Members

For a few years I worked at a used cd shop in Indiana called CD Land, they bought an sold guitars and amps too, it was kinda like a pawn shop. Once a guy I worked with bought a used acoustic, I cleaned it up then he put new strings on it, then realized he accidentally put electric strings on it. I was surprised how nice and easy it felt, it was fun to hit blusey bends...I've been putting cheap electric strings on my acoustics ever since!

• Members

Back when I had only 1 guitar (Norman B-30) I used extra-light Martin strings precisely so I could do the full step bends. I suppose the tone suffered a bit, but not a whole lot. I mean, it's kind of hard to judge when I was playing Purple Haze and Black Dog on an acoustic guitar. I could 'hear' the originals in my head as I played, but God only knows what others heard, lol.

I can think of times when I might want an unwound G string, but they are few and far between.

This goes into the 'whatever floats your boat' category.

• Members

I've never had an acoustic sound good with electrics and I've tried many. If I want flexibility and comfort I'd rather play a classical guitar with nylon or an acoustic with silk and steel strings. Electrics don't sound right and because they flex easy they require additional intonation a straight line acoustic bridge doesn't provide, especially an unwound third which needs to be longer then even a compensated acoustic bridge provides.

Archived