Is this guy today's Stevie Ray Vaughan?

electrow

• Members

Well...he does what he does really well. Then again, so did the people before him who did the same kind of thing really well :), but this guy is one of the very few doing it today. I like that he adds a few (too few, but...) twists to the guitar playing.

• Members

I don't really feel Stevie in his playing. I mean he's playing bluesy rock on a worn old Strat but his tone is his own really, not Stevie's. I like that he uses his Wah as more a method of tone control than an effect per say. Zappa did that too. I don't see this guy taking anybody's place in the pantheon of guitar players, but I bet he has a loyal following. He seems to leave it all out there like Stevie did. There's that if nothing else.

• Members
Well...he does what he does really well. Then again, so did the people before him who did the same kind of thing really well :), but this guy is one of the very few doing it today. I like that he adds a few (too few, but...) twists to the guitar playing.

Very few? Very few blues players get much attention, yes, but there is still quite a sizable community of blues lovers and players out there. Here in Austin I can think of four clubs devoted to the blues off the top of my head - Antone's being the premier "Home of the Blues" since '75 and still going....

I hear tell that Memphis, Chicago, New Orleans, St. Louis, L.A., all have strong blues scenes - but I don't know from personal experience.

How can the blues ever really die, anyway? It's got a perennial appeal that will always find fervent aficianados, and an occasional big public name. Interesting that the Stone's latest is a full-on return to their blues roots....

You can't have a great artform, great artists, without an accompanying horde of middling-to-awful practitioners of the form. Sure there is a seemingly endless supply of boring blues players, and the white middle-class blues wannabe is a standing target for ridicule all day every day - but they help keep the candle in the window for the rare genius to drift towards...

nat

• Moderators

LA does not have a strong blues scene anymore. I was in St. Louis last year, and what I saw of the blues scene there was alive but disappointing.

Poppa Chubby is nothing like SRV, but in the sense that he is trying to make the blues interesting, he may be considered one of several trying to keep it alive. Personally, I like Walter Trout &Coco Montoya as well for their efforts to keep the blues viable.

Archived