Yamaha DSR112 vs Klipsch KP301

• Members

Well, I finally had a bit of time to do some detailed analysis of my new powered speakers (DSR112's) vs my old passive speakers (KP301's).

First a little bit of info on each

FEATURE ------------------ DSR112 --------------------- KP301

Way ----------------------- 2 way ----------------------- 3-way

Power --------------------- Active ----------------------- Passive

Woofer Size --------------- 12" ------------------------- 15"

Weight -------------------- 47lbs ----------------------- 82 lbs

I performed 2 tests. The first was a stand alone test full range into each speaker. This one was an EASY win for the Klipsch KP301's. The bottom was WAY bigger and punchier on the Klipsch.... even if I engaged the "contour" button on the DSR's to give them a bit more bottom. Stand alone, there is no comparison (for DJ music any way).

Next, I put my DRPA into action with the CV folded horn subs. This obviously had much more bottom, but the interesting part was that it actually sounded a little less clean than just the Klipsch alone. The output of the top part of the frequency was either routed to the Klipsch or to the DSR112's.

This one was harder to call.

The Klipsch had a little better clarity than the Yamahas, but that was open to interpretation. I had a few people listen to it blind and it was a split decision on the sound. My opinion was that the Klipsch had a smoother mid high than the DSR's. In the over-all scheme of things though, it wasn't a knock out, but rather a slight shade of grey.

I have been gigging with the DSR112's over the top of a pair of powered Cerwin Vega powered CVA18's. I think I prefer the sound of this rig to that of the folded horns; however, the folded horns powered by a Crown K2 are WAY more powerful.

Here are my conclusions:

Soooo....

Here is what I am thinking......

I could use the DSR's and the CVA18's for both parties and gigs (with the exception of outside .... which I rarely do anyway) and I could sell off my old FOH speaker system.

So, do you think I would be better off selling the system as a whole, or in pieces? The setup sounds fantastic, it is just really big and heavy compared to my new setup ;)

• Members

Ok, I am completely confused by your post. First, you compare a current production, mid-size, powered 12+horn cab, to an older, passive, 15" three way cab. Apples and oranges, my friend!

What "system" are you thinking of selling?

• Members

Ok, I am completely confused by your post. First, you compare a current production, mid-size, powered 12+horn cab, to an older, passive, 15" three way cab. Apples and oranges, my friend!

What "system" are you thinking of selling?

The passive one.

The passive system was one of the best in its price category when I put it together (in the late 90's). I thought it would be interesting to post how it fares against a more modern, lower cost, smaller, powered speaker combination. Perhaps you didn't find it so.

• Members

Actually, I thought it was pretty cool that the old Klipsch units still stack up well with the modern stuff. I just was not clear on what you were hoping to discern from your post.

I danced a few years ago in a club whose sound system was four Heresy II speakers hanging from the ceiling at each corner of the floor. No bone-shaking lows, but lots of clean, clear, and loud music from those old cabs!

• Members

The weight would make this a no-brainer IMO.

I personally don't care for the top end of the Kiplsch but YMMV.

The weight (and size) were the entire point of the purchase of the DSR's. I eq'd both boxes to my own personal taste before comparing them to account for any individual color they bring to the mix.

The sound of the 2 boxes were close enough that the preferred flavor was a judgement call (after eq).

Another data point was that the SPL for the Klipsch is ~126db while the SPL for the DSR's is 134db.

I didn't push the system to these levels. In my basement, this would produce unbearably loud SPL's (and with the subs on may have broken all my windows as well).

If you compare the old system and new system on the basis of convience, it is really a no-brainer.

The new system needs one person 1 trip carry for both DSR's. The old system needs 2 people 2 trips to carry the Klipsch.

The new subs are not any less carry trouble than the old folded horns, but take up MUCH less space on stage.

The final straw is that the entire amp rack has been removed from the setup process (2 amps, 1 DRPA cross-over).

For those looking to invest in a new FOH system, take note. At this time, there may not be much in the way of cheep used gear with respect to the new powered speaker systems since they are so new (and I don't think that many are going to be wanting to get rid of them soon ..... until something better comes out). This should change as we get a little time under our belts with these new powered speakers.

I would resoundingly recommend powered speakers over traditional setups in convenience, size, weight, stage area, and price. They are equal in performance to high end traditional systems of a decade ago.

• Members

For those looking to invest in a new FOH system, take note. At this time, there may not be much in the way of cheep used gear with respect to the new powered speaker systems since they are so new (and I don't think that many are going to be wanting to get rid of them soon ..... until something better comes out). This should change as we get a little time under our belts with these new powered speakers.

I would resoundingly recommend powered speakers over traditional setups in convenience, size, weight, stage area, and price. They are equal in performance to high end traditional systems of a decade ago.

On the other hand, I prefer unpowered speakers cause they are readily available used, and only need one cord to run to them. Plus I like the look of a rack of amps on the side of the stage. Old school. For sheer simplicity powered wins though.

• Members

On the other hand, I prefer unpowered speakers cause they are readily available used, and only need one cord to run to them. Plus I like the look of a rack of amps on the side of the stage. Old school. For sheer simplicity powered wins though.

• Members

I know you have the powered CW's but are you considering the Yamaha DSR subs at all?

If I end up selling off my old FOH rig, I could invest the money into subs; however, I think that I would be better off purchasing a StudioLive 16.4.2 rather than another pair of powered subs.

The CV's are a bit hefty at 125lbs each, but most all powered subs are in the 90-120lbs range AFAIK. With an SPL of 131db, they aren't much off from the more current crop of powered subs either (typically 134db).

:confused: I'll buy "readily availible used" as an argument; however, simplicity? Really?

For a passive system:

LOL. Well, my instrument rack holds my mixer .... and even if it didn't, I could surely think of something more portable than an amp rack to set it on ;)

Archived