when the wallpaper comes alive

pogo97

• Members

I'm doing a wallpaper gig that's going very well. It was my proposal: dinner time jazz-age jazz. More and more people are coming in and they say nice things about what they hear. Mostly they're there for supper and conversation and that's fine -- some of the time they listen and that's why I'm there -- and to create an ambiance. I'm content to focus on singing and playing and just perform one song after another without comment.

I'm working, by choice, without a PA and my singing voice cuts through fine. But my speaking voice doesn't and sometimes folks want to interact. That's a good thing, but I'm unsure how to handle it.

• Members

Do an unobtrusive PA. Small single speaker like a Roland Cube 30 or such. Attach a lavalier mic with a switch or wireless use it when speaking. Or even attach a condenser ambient mic on a stand. It will pick everything and provide just enough amplification to make your speech audible.

• Members

Wish I was. I just use the built-in speakers in my Korg SP250 for the piano sound. It's loud enough for the purpose. Some pianos have an input to mix other sources into the built in amp. The SP250 does not.

I have two prime reasons for going 'acoustic' on this gig: 1) simplicity 2) I prefer unamplified voice -- sounds more like someone just singing.

Went to a new pub in town last night. They have a music room that's all sofas and comfy chairs -- not huge at all. The singer stood on the stage, played acoustic guitar and sang without using the provided PA. Sounded just dandy.

• Members

Actually, I mentioned the "no mic, no PA" thing because that's part of the setup. I'm most interested in the psychological move from "I'm completely in the background" to "I'm talking to you." It's not trivial.

• Moderators
Tell the poor folk to clap along and the rich to just rattle their jewelry
‘For our last number, I’d like to ask your help. Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And for the rest of you, if you’ll just rattle your jewelry…’

John Lennon, Nov. 1963

The Queen and Princess Margaret were in the Royal Box...and considering the amount of wealth the Beatles all amassed, a very cheeky comment in retrospect.

Archived