Problem with Mixwiz3 16:2 Saturday Night

• Members

So, Saturday night I ran sound for a country band. Three vocals, acoustic, electric, steel, bass and full drum kit. The band owns the board, a pair of the newest series Peavey SP2's powered by a PV2600, four Peavey SP118's powered by a PV3800, and a snake. I brought a rack with EQ's, crossover, gates, and compression, a pair of IPR1600's to run four monitor mixes, four monitor speakers, all the mic stands, and all the microphones. Show was at a beer garden in the parking lot of a bowling alley in conjucntion with a local city festival. I had stopped by the night before to check out the stage and the power situation. I usually hope for a 220 tap that I can plug my panel into for system power, but when I showed up I found that the only power available was a 4-plex outlet on the side of the building that was supposed to be set up on 3 individual 20amp breakers....just no one coud say which plugs were individual or not, so I ready for power to be a problem. Got eveything up and running and power seemed to be ok.

One problem I noticed was on the Mixwiz. It seemed to be sending a way hotter signal on the right side than the left. Even with everything set straight up the middle on the balance control on every channel there was a significant misballance on the meter....and it wasn't just the meter.....I could see it right down the line from that point on. Master faders were set at 0 and all channel faders were at or below 0 with the exception of the lead vocal which was around +3. There was always a misbalance, but when the lead vocal kicked in the left side might meter at +3 while the right side would go right to the top of the meter and tickle the red every once and a while. Just could not figure out what was going on. Now this is not my board, but I don know that this was the second or third show it's been used for. Any ideas on what might have been going on? I do the same gig again next friday at another festival, and would like some help on what to look for next week if the same problem comes up. I really felt this was holding back the system a bit........there was more there to be had, but I couldn't get to it because the right side was redlining.

Tolstoy

• Members

Was it just the meters are was there actuall different levels from the output of the board?

The reason I ask is because a friend of mine called me in a panic one night for the same exact issue with there MixWiz.

There was nothing wrong with the board at all, the issue was with the monitoring capabilities for the Aux sends, Master, etc. located on the right side of the board (all the little white buttons in a row)

They had Aux1 and Aux2 depressed, the board meters were actually reading the Aux sends, not the main output of the board.

It sounds like the exact issue you have, check the metering buttons!

• Members

Damn, the answer was right in front of me the whole time.......literally. I bet that was it. Thanks guys.

Any thoughts on the powering of the FOH speakers. Seems like a bit more power wouldn't hurt. As it is each top is getting about 550 watts, and each sub is getting about 750.

Tolstoy

• Members

Damn, the answer was right in front of me the whole time.......literally. I bet that was it. Thanks guys.

Any thoughts on the powering of the FOH speakers. Seems like a bit more power wouldn't hurt. As it is each top is getting about 550 watts, and each sub is getting about 750.

Tolstoy

Mine are powered at 500 watts each, sp2 and sp118 and do just fine.

Archived