Percussion sounds for duo of guitar and bass?

BluesCam

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I would love to use a drummer and plan to' date=' however, there are venues that do not want bands with drummers. We just played one[/quote']

Happens all the time. Sadly, a lot of drummers missed the lesson on dynamics. They only have one volume: LOUD!

We've also played venues with stages so small that two was a crowd!

• Moderators

Sadly, a lot of drummers missed the lesson on dynamics. They only have one volume: LOUD!

a sad truth...

Many years ago in the 'monster amp' era, our band auditioned a drummer who played so loud on every song, even the ballads, to the point that all we could hear were the drums, that I stopped mid song and asked him to play softer. His answer...'sure, and you turn off your amp..' needless to say, he did not get the gig.

Hosting jams for the last few years has subjected me to some drummers with that same mindset...gotta be heard over the amps, but we were using 15w amps...set on 4-5...

There are some great drummers who really know what brushes and hot-rods are for, and how to control their stick attack, but, sadly, the bulk of drummers want to hit hard all the time.

Add to that the ones who feel they need a 16 piece kit with double kicks for an intimate / wall paper gig...when a basic 'trap set' would be more than adequate.

• Members

To my mind, percussion has three basic functions:

1) establish the downbeat

2) keep the groove

3) mark transitions

If I can cover those adequately myself, then no drummer. If I'm in a band, then a drummer is useful to hold the thing together. But the drummer has to be *good*.

Here's a song from 1933 where the drummer actually spoils a marginal arrangement and a lovely vocal of a glorious song. It would have been so much better without the drums (or with something subtler than boom-chuck). Some things don't change.

[video=youtube;W0XNktHUIas]

and here's a version from the same time with the drums barely audible and/or absent. Much much better.

[video=youtube;nYkpl8RHpX8]

• Members

a sad truth...

Many years ago in the 'monster amp' era, our band auditioned a drummer who played so loud on every song, even the ballads, to the point that all we could hear were the drums, that I stopped mid song and asked him to play softer. His answer...'sure, and you turn off your amp..' needless to say, he did not get the gig.

Hosting jams for the last few years has subjected me to some drummers with that same mindset...gotta be heard over the amps, but we were using 15w amps...set on 4-5...

There are some great drummers who really know what brushes and hot-rods are for, and how to control their stick attack, but, sadly, the bulk of drummers want to hit hard all the time.

Add to that the ones who feel they need a 16 piece kit with double kicks for an intimate / wall paper gig...when a basic 'trap set' would be more than adequate.

this could be said of any musician... and is nothing but an excuse to make substandard music... karaoke is for pretending... and if thats your gig, go for it! magnavox makes a killer drum machine... they used them on their chord organs... if i felt that my performance " solo" wasnt up to the standards necessary to hold an audience then id either hire a band or take up knitting... but then ive never in my life understood people pretending to be in bands... but after all it oays to remember...

its only a paper moon...

• Members

a drummer that cant play softly at speed with sticks is another example of the wannabees... there is a difference in my mnd as to a musician and poser... if i judged every drummer by the worst one ive ever worked with i probably i would stop being a real musician too... i just find stereotypical mindsets to be unpalatable... tell me how much soul your machine has? the rhythm is the heart and yours is mechanical... get whatcha pay for!

• Members

Many great points here. To respond, I currently play in a band (with a drummer :p), however, my guitar player and I want to simply continue to hon our skills and broaden our musical scope. The places we play don't have room for a full band, barely room for 2 people on stools playing music. With that being said, there is no replacement for a real drummer, I realize that, but in our case, it's just not feasible. I definitely will check into the beat buddy. I think it would be a good idea for us to have something to keep our timing and have our acoustic shows a bit more structured.

Thanks!

• Moderators

the BeatBuddy, despite the opinion of some forumites, works well for solo and duo players. In your case, I would let the bassist manage the pedal so that your rhythm section is locked in. It takes some getting used to, the fills,etc, but with the external footswitch, it is much easier.

• Moderators

but we get paid for what we do. I can't argue the advantage of the drummer, but it just is not going to be possible on a solo or duo gig, and if we can can enhance the feel of the material for the audience, then I go for it with the ancillary stuff. These are not 'art' gigs, they are entertainment gigs, and the money, space and volume limits typically preclude a drummer. I have 3 bands already, and pick up side $ doing solo/duo gigs on occasion [much less recently]. So your point is moot, because it doesn't matter what we want as musicians, it matters what the client wants, allows, has space for, etc.

And 99.9% of the people listening could care less if the drums are live, or backing tracks, or a live triggered machine. They just don't give a rat's patootie....and that is the way it is.

:deadhorse:

• Members
Some places only want a certain volume level. For some venues a duo isn't enough sound' date=' for others a full band is too much. So, I hope to play in both. My best case scenario is playing Happy Hours. :>)[/quote']

Happy hours rule around here. If you're playing a late show, you're playing to an empty room!

• Members
Yes' date=' Happy Hour rules! I need to get out there and hit up all the breweries and small restaurants. I hate doing sales calls though.[/quote']

Yeah, sadly we're treated like panhandlers most of the time. Fortunately, I primarily just do festivals and events anymore.

Archived