Sign in to follow this  
msmooth

Amp for both acoustic and electric guitars?

In my duo I've been using my Roland KC100 keyboard amp that I bought second hand years ago. It's a great solution since I also have my Korg Krome plugged into it. The guitar I mainly use is a Taylor T5 although I like to use my Takamine EF341SC for a more authentic acoustic tone on some songs. While the Taylor does a fair job of electric I managed to fatten it up some with my Tech 21 Fly Rig 5. It adds a lot without adding much in terms of size, weight or complexity. I might even take a "real" electric guitar to a gig some day.

Edited by ggm1960

6 hours ago, ggm1960 said:

I might even take a "real" electric guitar to a gig some day.

is your T5 imaginary? 😉

There is the rub with most* Solid State amps...you have to 'fatten up' the guitar's tone and presence; part of that is actually just what we have come to perceive as good amplified guitar sound, based on decades of tube amp domination, hero worship, marketing and stringslinger dogma...

* There are, of course some outstanding SS amps, going back to the Gibson Lab Series, the more modern take, like Quilter, and then the newer modelers like Kemper, but let's be honest, those amps have always been priced above the average weekend warrior's accessibility.

I also suggest looking at (and listening to) the Boss Katana.

I bought the inexpensive 50 Watt model for practice and portability but now I use it for almost everything.

It has several amplifier 'types' including one for acoustic and the settings can be dialed in then stored in multiple memory locations for easy recall when you switch guitars.

On 9/12/2019 at 5:06 PM, daddymack said:

is your T5 imaginary? 😉

I guess when I say that I mean one of these solid chunks of wood that read Gibson, Fender or Rickenbacker on the headstock and don't need a battery! I was a bit frustrated with the T5 for a while, couldn't keep it tuned. I don't know if it was the guitar or the Elixir strings but it seems I finally got them stretched enough where the thing mostly cooperates now.