Amp for both acoustic and electric guitars?

msmooth

• Members

In my duo I've been using my Roland KC100 keyboard amp that I bought second hand years ago. It's a great solution since I also have my Korg Krome plugged into it. The guitar I mainly use is a Taylor T5 although I like to use my Takamine EF341SC for a more authentic acoustic tone on some songs. While the Taylor does a fair job of electric I managed to fatten it up some with my Tech 21 Fly Rig 5. It adds a lot without adding much in terms of size, weight or complexity. I might even take a "real" electric guitar to a gig some day.

Edited by ggm1960

• Moderators
6 hours ago, ggm1960 said:

I might even take a "real" electric guitar to a gig some day.

is your T5 imaginary? 😉

There is the rub with most* Solid State amps...you have to 'fatten up' the guitar's tone and presence; part of that is actually just what we have come to perceive as good amplified guitar sound, based on decades of tube amp domination, hero worship, marketing and stringslinger dogma...

* There are, of course some outstanding SS amps, going back to the Gibson Lab Series, the more modern take, like Quilter, and then the newer modelers like Kemper, but let's be honest, those amps have always been priced above the average weekend warrior's accessibility.

• Members

I also suggest looking at (and listening to) the Boss Katana.

I bought the inexpensive 50 Watt model for practice and portability but now I use it for almost everything.

It has several amplifier 'types' including one for acoustic and the settings can be dialed in then stored in multiple memory locations for easy recall when you switch guitars.

• Members
On 9/12/2019 at 5:06 PM, daddymack said:

is your T5 imaginary? 😉

I guess when I say that I mean one of these solid chunks of wood that read Gibson, Fender or Rickenbacker on the headstock and don't need a battery! I was a bit frustrated with the T5 for a while, couldn't keep it tuned. I don't know if it was the guitar or the Elixir strings but it seems I finally got them stretched enough where the thing mostly cooperates now.

• 8 months later...
  • Moderators

well again,  the Sedona is pretty danged pricey...even the 'lite' [25W, 1x10] costs more than a used T5 standard...and the 55W model is the price of a new T5...not to denigrate the quality, but in all seriousness,  most solo gigs didn't pay enough to warrant my having $5-6k worth of gear on stage [if there even was a stage]. And considering the current situation, I don't expect the pay to get better...

• Members

just a nice powered PA speaker 12" with horn 400-600 watt, small mixer 6-12 channels, multi fx pedal for electric guitar. acoustic goes direct into mixer, use the built in fx in the mixer for your acoustic. been using this setup for the past 20 years. you'll also have room to expand or when others want to join in. plus you can send a signal out for a house pa and use your speaker for a monitor

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • Members
On 7/22/2017 at 7:34 PM, steve mac said:

The standard of amps sims is such that I would take a long hard look at the new Atomic Ampli Firebox which is due out any day. It's the size of a single pedal has some built in effects and can handle downloaded IRs. Their existing products produce, to mine and others ears, some fantastic tones both magnetic and acoustic.

Plus of course the advantage of having your amp in your guitar case and a single lead out to the board.

Just an alternative for consideration.

https://www.guitarguide.xyz/the-best-leather-guitar-straps/

It's a great alternative, thanks!

I paid attention to this model, and this option seemed quite good.

The main plus for me is the presence of an amplifier in a guitar case.

Edited by JaySmith87

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I just acquired a Quilter Phantom Block. With a pedal or two (depending on your needs) It makes a great electric guitar interface and then you can continue to run your acoustic into the board. It's kind of the opposite of what you asked for, but the Quilter is light and sounds good to my ears.