DSP, or is this overkill?

• Members

I'm thinking about picking up a Peavey VSX 26. My mains are Peavey Impulse 1012 speakers over Peavey SP218 subs, so I was thinking the VSX might be a better match than a Driverack. But I'm wondering if any of it would be a bit overkill for a bar-band PA.

Right now the signal path is MixWiz -> Peavey 2x15-band EQ -> Peavey crossover -> power amps (QSC PL236 on the subs and RMX-2450 on the mains) -> speakers. That works well enough, so I don't know if I'd really gain a lot of benefit from going to a DSP-based system or if I should just stick with what I have.

Would I be gaining anything? Or am I just seeing something shiny that won't really do me that much good?

• Members

Would I be gaining anything?

Some but not much. You would gain other filter types and exact frequency selection as well as more possibilities for speaker protection via limiting. A bigger difference you would actually "hear" would be if you were to cross over between the woofer and HF driver in your top box. This is where DSP's can gain you a lot.

Other BIG difference is that the "autograph" automatic EQ in the Peavey actually works. That could definitely improve your overall sound depending on your ability to do it by other means.

• Members

Hm. Switching to a three-way setup could work. I have a spare RMX-850 in the rack that I just keep in case another amp goes out - I could use it to power the highs. Would it be noticeably different than using the passive crossover in the speakers?

• Members

Some but not much. You would gain other filter types and exact frequency selection as well as more possibilities for speaker protection via limiting. A bigger difference you would actually "hear" would be if you were to cross over between the woofer and HF driver in your top box. This is where DSP's can gain you a lot.

Other BIG difference is that the "autograph" automatic EQ in the Peavey actually work
s. That could definitely improve your overall sound depending on your ability to do it by other means.

it really does.

• Members

it really does.

What are the band divisions on the EQ. 1/3? 1/48?

They would need to be certainly higher than the 1/3 the 27 band eq offers in order to delineate the differences between some comb filtering and an actually frequency spike I would think.

I would like to get my hands on one and test it out

• Members

They would need to be certainly higher than the 1/3 the 27 band eq offers in order to delineate the differences between some comb filtering and an actually frequency spike I would think.

HUH???

In the VSX they are labeled 1/3, 1/2 and oct. I would highly recommend setting the GEQs to "oct"

btw ... as a general rule 27 band GEQs use octave width filters. The 1/3rd octave part is the spacing between the filter centers ... not the width of the bandpasses.

• Members

I would highly recommend setting the GEQs to "oct"

hmmm. i just went and checked mine and they are indeed set to 1/3rd. i think they must default there but i'm not sure about that. i'll have to try OCT and redo the autograph at some point this summer and see if its better.

i gotta say this - i havent used analog FOH eq's for the last 5 shows i've done with the VSX. didnt even hook them up.

Archived