NAMM News - new products!

Phil O'Keefe

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey Phil - good catches, here's some fun stuff from the floor. BTW the Boss pedals are going to go for $899 IIRC, and be a limited edition with serialized numbers.

I like finding weird little things that are very useful. The Cable Porter definitely caught my eye. $3 and your cables are wrapped in a much better way than Velcro ties. These are just "hey, got back from NAMM" today pix, more in the NAMM show report due out in Monday's "Make Better Music" newsletter that we drop on 7/17/17.

fetch?filedataid=125655

fetch?filedataid=125656

• Members

Edwards Audio Research showed their hand-made tube preamps. This was symptomatic of more pro audio at the Summer show.

fetch?filedataid=125657

Zylia was there, but I still haven't had a chance to hear the mic...it was a big deal at the last AES. Supposedly you can record lots of sounds at once. In any even it sure does look cool.

fetch?filedataid=125658

fetch?filedataid=125659

You know me, I like guitar controllers that aren't guitars like YouRockGuitar and Jamstik. Artiphon was at the 2015 NAMM show, but now they're back with production units. I'll definitely be writing more about this. Note it also generates MPE data.

fetch?filedataid=125660

fetch?filedataid=125661

• Members

This was one of the coolest things at the show - the electrorganic aFrame. It's a drum controller with built-in sounds that aren't sampled, and sound great and expressive. Here's Dendy Jarrett becoming entranced with what it can do, followed by a picture of the electronic backsides. The company demoed it with a Line 6 Relay so they could walk around and play it. Pretty cool, and sounds great.

fetch?filedataid=125662fetch?filedataid=125663

Here's an outlier: The WaveFunction Overdrive from Nanolog Devices. They claim to use analog distortion devices "that operate using quantum mechanical tunneling, a process that relies on the decay of electronic WaveFunctions into space." Translation: It can produce the transfer characteristics of various distortion devices, including germanium or silicon semiconductors as well as two unique transfer functions. The stomp box (top) is more of a proof of concept...they're interested more in selling the components themselves (bottom) to manufacturers.

fetch?filedataid=125665fetch?filedataid=125666

Supro has been on quite a roll, and in addition to the basses I mentioned earlier, they've also got a pair of new 5 watt combo amps that were just announced - the 1605R Reverb and the 1606 Super.

top-f9e997ad.jpg

1605R Reverb top panel

front-a4446ee9.jpg

1606 Super front

http://www.harmonycentral.com/news/supro-reissues-5-watt-reverb-and-super-combos

Why did Yamaha name their new drum kit the Tour Custom Maple? Well, they're maple shells, so that makes sense, but they're not just for live use - they supposedly record well too. Regardless of where you take them, their snazzy satin finishes will look great too.

tc22setlcsa0001-89b38090.jpg

http://www.harmonycentral.com/news/dont-let-the-tour-in-the-name-fool-you---they-record-well-too

It looks like Fender has been busy. They've announced five new Artist Signature models, and have introduced some new vintage car-inspired colors.

There's the Brad Paisley Tele, which I already mentioned earlier... and a recreation of the Jimi Hendrix Monterey Strat...

jimi-hendrix-monterey-stratocaster-front-copy-0b1e4f12.jpg

They're also doing a limited run (1,000 world-wide) of George Harrison Rosewood Telecasters. With the new CITES regulations on rosewood, it wouldn't surprise me if this is the last time they ever do reissues of it. Time will tell...

george-harrison-rosewood-telecaster-front-copy-51f82e36.jpg

There's also the new JMJ Road Worn Mustang Bass...

justin-meldal-johnsen-road-worn-mustang-bass-front-copy-2721755f.jpg

and the new EOB Sustainer Stratocaster.

eob-sustainer-stratocaster-front-copy-8bdd5d59.jpg

http://www.harmonycentral.com/news/n...rs-from-fender

Zylia was there, but I still haven't had a chance to hear the mic...it was a big deal at the last AES. Supposedly you can record lots of sounds at once. In any even it sure does look cool.

fetch?filedataid=125658

fetch?filedataid=125659

When I saw that at Winter NAMM last year they couldn't actually tell me what or how it does what it did. Just that it "did some magic" (actual quote from the lady in the booth) and you could isolate the instruments out of your recording.

Archived