Shorter P90 pickup?

bmast160

• Members

I have a godin kingpin guitar with a single p90 in the neck position (sits on top of the body). It fits the guitar but it's way to close to the strings. Anyone know of a shorter p90 that would give some more space between the pickup and the strings? Maybe a jazzmaster-style pickup - i saw a video on youtube that i can't find now, but someone running into the same issue on a different hollowbody and made a 4k wind jazzmaster-style pickup that fit (had fixed magnets under each string instead of pole pieces)

• Members

A quick google search of "p90 pickup dimensions" gave this

https://www.google.com/search?q=p90+pickup+dimensions&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiZ386nz_XUAhUY6WMKHebKAxwQsAQIIw&biw=1344&bih=903&dpr=1

It looks like thicknesses are all over the board - for example Seymour Duncan has both 0.745 and 0.585 without dog ear covers. It also looks like you can get covers in various heights and also get spacer rings.

• Members

If it sits on top and there's no routing you'll likely need to try a different pickup all together.

Are you sure your problem simply isn't the plastic cover is warped?

The problem you have is the guitar is arch topped and getting a pickup holder that's curved will be your biggest obstacle.

What first popped in mind was one of these Rick style single coils. http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-NYII-Surface-Mount-Handmade-Alnico-Pickup_c_101.html They're height is fairly low compared to P90's but they have a flat bottom.

fetch?filedataid=125536

The only other slim pickups I can think of are Jazz Guitar pickups like these.

One mounts to the neck and one to a pickguard.

fetch?filedataid=125534

fetch?filedataid=125535

Archived