JBL PRX parts unavailable

• Members

Posting/asking for a friend. He has 4 JBL PRX 518 powered subs. One has quit, the transformer in the amp is bad, JBL/Crown/? says product is discontinued and they have no parts.

Where can he get parts or get it fixed. Any help would be appreciated, he has had no luck with cust service or tech support. Thanks

• Members

I do not know, I do know he talked with someone at JBL, actually it was the company that owns JBL and Crown, they are the ones that told him they were discontinued and no parts available. Trying to get him on the phone now to ask, does your dealer repair?

Thanks

• Members

I do not know, I do know he talked with someone at JBL, actually it was the company that owns JBL and Crown, they are the ones that told him they were discontinued and no parts available. Trying to get him on the phone now to ask, does your dealer repair?

Thanks

I use Midwest Audio http://www.midwestaudio.net/index.htm They are an authorized repair shop. Your buddy talked to someone at Harman Group? My guess is that they would know nothing about parts availability in one of their divisions. Maybe Agedhorse or one of the other repair guys can chime in. The PRX518 is discontinued but I would imagine JBL will still be supporting them. They have a 5 year warrantee and they were discontinued just over a year ago. Technically there are still some PRX518s under warrantee.

• Members

You talked with somebody who didn't know all the details. Call JBL service (HMG) and ask to speak with the service dept. Explain what the problem is and who told you that information.

In all the years (>30) of working on this stuff, I have replaced maybe 2 or 3 power amp transformers (SMPS or otherwise).

HOW do you know that the transformer is bad? That alone would raise a red flag with me, without seeing the bad part. I have handled warranty repairs for many companies and have seen so many bad diagnosis that I am loosing faith in outside service shops (not all, but enough scare me).

I would expect that they would rather see the amp module themselves, or direct you to somebody who they know has experience in their SMPS/Class D stuff. I also suspect that it is still under warranty unless there is information that has been withheld.

• Members

Sorry for the slow response,I have been out of town without my laptop. I appreciate all the response and help.

Agedhorse, the system is propbably 3-5 yrs old,he told me no warranty. Someone he talked with over the phone at JBL service or tech support told him it was the transformer, how they knew that I do not know.

I will tell him to call JBL Service dept tomorrow. Thanks for the help, have a good week!

Scott

• Members

Sorry for the slow response,I have been out of town without my laptop. I appreciate all the response and help.

Agedhorse, the system is propbably 3-5 yrs old,he told me no warranty. Someone he talked with over the phone at JBL service or tech support told him it was the transformer, how they knew that I do not know.

I will tell him to call JBL Service dept tomorrow. Thanks for the help, have a good week!

Scott

If the sub is less than 5 years old it should be under warranty.:confused: Let us know what he finds out about parts availability.

Archived