Sub's internal crossover redundant?

• Members

Have acquired a pair of subs with broken internal crossovers.

Do I need to have these repaired/replaced or can I just remove them from the input plate at the back of the speaker as I intend to power the subs using the low frequency channel of a QSC GX5 with its inbuilt crossover?

Thanks.

• Members

Have acquired a pair of subs with broken internal crossovers.

Do I need to have these repaired/replaced or can I just remove them from the input plate at the back of the speaker as I intend to power the subs using the low frequency channel of a QSC GX5 with its inbuilt crossover?

Thanks.

which subs? And which tops?

• Members

Yamaha AX15W and AX12

Replacement crossovers from Yamaha are over 50 pounds each and I just wondered if I actually needed them or could manage without,

50 lbs is inaccurate by a factor of 10.

Just remove the internal crossovers and use the active x-over in the GX-5, but be careful as I'll bet the GX-5 it really too much amp for the speakers without caution.

• Members

yes, you are right.

Still them foreigners ought to learn to speak proper American ;) . I still can't figure out why a hundred = 112 in British units (extra credit for those who "get" this and can name what common object I'm referring to ;)).

Just joking - but I always did get a chuckle out of the Haynes car repair manuals that came with an English to American dictionary in them :freak:.

:lol:

• CMS Author

Still them foreigners ought to learn to speak proper American
;)
. I still can't figure out why a hundred = 112 in British units (extra credit for those who "get" this and can name what common object I'm referring to
;)
).

Just joking - but I always did get a chuckle out of the Haynes car repair manuals that came with an English to American dictionary in them
:freak:

:lol:

Quitcher bitchin'...the UK is home to the 20oz pint.:D

• Members

inst england metric? so why isnt the money in Kilo's? damn hypocrites. :D

if yamaha sells a crossover for 50 pounds it must be a peice of tin with wax or something. they dont sell any parts at a reasonable price.

• Members

"real money"

surely you are not comparing the fiat federal fractional reserve system to "real money"? :facepalm:

its been around 40 years since the plug was pulled on the last shred of any standard backed currency in this "form" of monetary system.

not to delve into that touchy feelly area of course, i just sayiin :D

• Members

Your AX15W subs although not all that great, are rated at 250/500/1000 will work pretty well with 350 rms each from one channel,(which is all you really ever would consider ever feeding this box). Don't expect much from them.

I would be more than a little wary about the AX12s at 150/300/600 being fed by the other channel at 350 watts rms, which is 2.34 times the rms rating. It also exceeds the 600 watt peak rating with 700 peak going to each speaker.

Robust is not a word that describes those Yamaha speakers.

Have you ever considered that is why those crossovers are blown?

• Members

The crossovers were shaken and stirred when the cabs were dropped by some courier hence I was able to get the pair very cheaply. The great thing about the AX series is they are small and light and fit into my car along with the rest of the PA kit and two guitarists' gear. They sound fine too in small/medium venues where we have to provide our own PA. However, I agree that the tops are in constant danger of being overwhelmed by the GX5 unless I'm very careful. But it's what I got, I love the built in crossover and for now (like alot of musicians) I'll just have to make what I got work as best I can.

BTW - this forum is a godsend: I had a hunch that I could remove and bypass the broken crossovers but I wasn't sure until I checked on here. It's worth occasionally being treated like an idiot for the sake of the information!

• Members

The crossovers were shaken and stirred when the cabs were dropped by some courier hence I was able to get the pair very cheaply. The great thing about the AX series is they are small and light and fit into my car along with the rest of the PA kit and two guitarists' gear. They sound fine too in small/medium venues where we have to provide our own PA. However, I agree that the tops are in constant danger of being overwhelmed by the GX5 unless I'm very careful. But it's what I got, I love the built in crossover and for now (like alot of musicians) I'll just have to make what I got work as best I can.

BTW - this forum is a godsend: I had a hunch that I could remove and bypass the broken crossovers but I wasn't sure until I checked on here. It's worth occasionally being treated like an idiot for the sake of the information!

Have you checked the voicecoils for rubbing and the magnet structures for cracks considering that there was enough force to break the crossovers when they were dropped?

Archived