Favorite Horn Bands

• 3 months later...
  • Members

The new Prius has a CD player!   Lol!    I saw a best of Chicago cd and a few others on sale and asked my 8yr old to pick one...  chicago!   After the “make me smile” finished, I looked in the rear view...   Ry’s eyes were lit up!   “ what was that! Wow!” He sat the Nintendo down...  wait,WHAT!!!       He sat the Nintendo down...   

he actively listens, questions about instruments,  and gets strangely quiet and glazes over a bit during the guitar solo in 25 or 6 to 4...  but then, so do I...  

• Members
21 minutes ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

Very cool! :cool2: 

Is he interested in learning an instrument himself? 

Yes, he has access to most of my instruments and gravitates towards strings.  He has always had a respectful approach and an artistic sensitivity about physical interaction with whatever instrument he picks up.   ( he showed interest in guitar and banjo @ 3yrs and composed a rhyming, two verse song on banjo in Gm). He’s been playing on his own drum kit about 6 months now and when he says he’s ready, I’ll share...  but that’s his call.  
Last year I found an old fender student model like I had for my first “real” electric...  a red music master II .    all original, paint and case...   my luthier said it was made  at the end of the Leo Fender era...   all I know is it sounds devine  through a plexi or jazz chorus...  (or both!)...    and I’m gifting it to him on my birthday this year.   My bd is on the day of the solstice.. a few days before chrispmas and it’s my custom to GIVE gifts on my birthday...    already had it massaged and loved by the best luthier in tallahassee and it’s ready...   and his favorite color!   

• Moderators

wow, no love for Tower of Power? In college, I had to 'dissect' horn arrangements, and ToP came closer to the old Billy Strayhorn style, albeit in a totally different genre.

When I finally got my own horn section a few years ago, I worked closely with them to infuse arrangements like ToP; but I also have the fortunate advantage of working with a former Stax producer/session player, who also influenced and enhanced the horn arrangements...

• Members
On 11/5/2019 at 10:01 AM, Voltan said:

Yes, he has access to most of my instruments and gravitates towards strings.  He has always had a respectful approach and an artistic sensitivity about physical interaction with whatever instrument he picks up.   ( he showed interest in guitar and banjo @ 3yrs and composed a rhyming, two verse song on banjo in Gm). He’s been playing on his own drum kit about 6 months now and when he says he’s ready, I’ll share...  but that’s his call.  
Last year I found an old fender student model like I had for my first “real” electric...  a red music master II .    all original, paint and case...   my luthier said it was made  at the end of the Leo Fender era...   all I know is it sounds devine  through a plexi or jazz chorus...  (or both!)...    and I’m gifting it to him on my birthday this year.   My bd is on the day of the solstice.. a few days before chrispmas and it’s my custom to GIVE gifts on my birthday...    already had it massaged and loved by the best luthier in tallahassee and it’s ready...   and his favorite color!   

That's beautiful man! The first good electric I had was a Musicmaster "1". My buddies in High school all knew me as a Bass guy. When I plugged in the MM and just let fly...They were all..!!! "We didn't know you could play lead!!!". Guess a Kustom bass amp wasn't a bad match on a MM.

• 2 months later...
On 11/12/2019 at 8:31 AM, daddymack said:

wow, no love for Tower of Power? In college, I had to 'dissect' horn arrangements, and ToP came closer to the old Billy Strayhorn style, albeit in a totally different genre.

When I finally got my own horn section a few years ago, I worked closely with them to infuse arrangements like ToP; but I also have the fortunate advantage of working with a former Stax producer/session player, who also influenced and enhanced the horn arrangements...

I totally love ToP... in fact, I was just listening to What Is Hip? on Spotify last night... great band, and of course, a monster horn section! :philthumb: 

Archived