Vox Stomplab 2G output settings

malibu43

• Members

I have a Vox Stomplab for about 18 mos now, and I'm a little confused about the global out put settings on the pedal. Per the manual:

"This setting compensates the output from the guitar amp model so that it will be suitable for connection to the input jack of your guitar amp. A1: Use this setting if you’ve connected the StompLab to an amp with a distinctive mid-range character, such as a UK-made open-backed combo. A2: Use this setting if you’ve connected the StompLab to a cleansounding amp, such as a typical US-made open-backed combo. A3: Use this setting if you’ve connected the StompLab to a stack-type amp, such as a 4x12 closed-back cabinet. 13 Ln: Use this setting if you’ve connected the StompLab to a line input, to a headphones, to the power amp input of a guitar amp, or to a recorder"

However, in reality, I've found that settings A1, A2, and A3 seem to "color" the sound so much that it sounds way too boxy and muddy. The Ln output, on the other hand, is very clear, open and bright sounding, although a little harsh at times and maybe lacking a little warmth.

So from what I've seen, it's almost as the manual has it backwards. Setting A1, A2, and A3 add color to the sound to simulate different amps, and the Ln input sends out a very sterile signal and leaves it up to your amp (or the settings you use on the pedal) to add color to the sound.

I was just curious if anyone else had experienced this or had any alternative perspectives on how these settings are supposed to be used. Of course, I'll do whatever sounds best for my setup, but I feel like I missing something if I'm doing the opposite of what the user manual says...

edit - I'll add that I'm using a Bugera V5 with an EH820 speaker.

Edited by malibu43

• Members

I have the 1G and 1B versions. They are the same thing without the pedal.

The amp settings do color the sound and it is often needed for larger amps that would be too harsh and bright otherwise.

When you're in that global mode you can dial up the global volume level, a small, medium and large amp sound or line level.

Line level is normally too hot for driving most amps. If you bypass the pedal you may wind up having a big drop in volume if you have it set for line level.

The pedal is stereo too. If you run a stereo cord you cane get the echoes and chorus to sound different on each channel.

I switch modes between amp and line level quite often because I record direct with it allot and then connect it to my amp.

If I'm plugged into a true line level recording input, then leave it set for line level, the signals too hot and two bright for my amps. The thing is many audio interfaces have Instrument level inputs so its really not a line level impedance.

Think that's where the differences come in. If you use it recording direct on an interface instrument level inputs then build presets over it, you'll wind up darkening the line level settings. Then when you plug into the amp, and switch to amp modes they will be way too dark.

What you might want to try is use an amp mode when plugged in fro recording then tweak your presets to sound good. Then when you go to use it with an amp, you can stay in that mode because both your interface and amp take instrument levels. If you had an interface with strictly line level or plug into a PA then you might need to switch to line level modes.

• Members

Thanks for the informative and well thought out reply.

I'm thinking that the reason the line-out mode sounds better for me could be that I'm using a 5W amp on volume and gain at about 11 o'clock, and it's known to be a somewhat dark amp. I could see how if I were to crank it or use a bigger amp, the sound could get too harsh.

• Members

Yep, I get that same thing with the 15w marshal amp I use for practice at low volume. If I crank the amp up it gets brighter however and the settings sound completely different. When I use the box in the studio for recording direct the presets are ideal but a low volume amp doesn't sound the same till I crank it up.

You can use the line level setting on an amp. Its surely not going to hurt anything. You'll just have to adjust the global volume as needed.

I normally use that box for recording only. I can tweak levels and save presets that work well. The studio monitors are full frequency so the speaker emulations rill highs off the way its supposed to. Plugged into an amp you have speaker emulation and the amps speaker and both volume and gain can change dramatically. Rule of thumb is as you turn an amp up louder you need less and less gain because the speakers taking over doing that job.

I have a full 20 presets I built. I plan on using my DB meter next time I record and set the levels all the same. I want the bypassed/clean levels to match the preset gain levels. The DB meter looks at only the loudness not the frequency or gain. My goal is to get all the patches the same volume no matter what the gain or frequency is. Then if the Perceived loudness is too high or low I'll tweak all the other factors like gain, EQ, compression etc to get them to sound more even when scrolling through the settings.

After that I'll keep those settings when using an amp and either tweak the global volume only or tweak the amps settings for a best overall match.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Members

Output levels are REALLY all over, and line out mode is terribly weak

When I switch between presets, the perceived volume of the signal seems to be very inconsistent.

And the big hassle right now is that my Stompbox 2G's line out mode is anemic. This is a big problem because I just got a PA speaker and the line-out output is terrible out of the Stompbox but quite good when I play a song from my phone's headphone jack into the same PA speaker line-in input.

It's also confusing that you have to go into GBL (Global) and hit EDIT to change the Stompbox between A1, A2, A3, and Line Out. I really have no idea if it's saving the output level to that preset or for the entire unit, and I'm not sure HOW to save the setting. I'm just pressing the EDIT button again to exit the setting, but the manual is not helpful and the output level doesn't seem to be true line-out level. I can hear the output changing as I toggle the VALUE 1 know between A1, A2, A3, and Line but the change is not nearly as significant as the difference between my phone and the Stompbox.

Is anybody else suffering from this? Could it possibly be caused by the previous owner's settings? Frustrating.