Humbucker Wiring and Pickup Orientation? - Neck/Bridge - North/South - Slug/Screw - Wire Colors

RedJamaX

• Members

I have searched through many posts on several forums, and every time this question is asked, the answers get very convoluted... So, I'm going to make this easy.

Which of the following diagrams correctly reflects pickup wiring in respect to it's position (Neck/Bridge), Physical Orientation (Screw/Slug up top), Pole Orientation (North/South on top), and Wiring Color codes?

- My suspicion is that Option 1 is correct...

NOTE: For this example, let's just assume we are sticking with Seymour Duncan, as it is, those are the wiring diagrams I chose for the example.

REASON for the question:

- The only diagrams ever shown for pickups ALWAYS show the Bridge Pickup. This matters for alternate wiring because if you want to use single coil wiring on a switch, but you want a specific coil for that option... then it can be confusing since they only ever show the bridge.

e21f622870a36aad228113de247c6c59.JPG.d59679c7b9de5daf4ff791d67e575e53.JPG

9c56800653859edf0fe0a12e455f16f4.jpg.0b21fcf5d683000f5c0dadfa6a0d3438.jpg

3a278849ed8b2aa22ddecf9238aec555.jpg.b8619d760fb53d936c2e4d3c96bec4db.jpg

• Members

IF you do option one, the pickup will be out of phase with the other one. On a Duncan wiring, black is hot, red and white wired together for tap,. green is ground. Doesn't matter what pickup, that's their wiring. (D'Marrzio is Red hot, black and white for tap, green ground.)

The second and third option are the same, unless I'm missing something

• Members
IF you do option one, the pickup will be out of phase with the other one. On a Duncan wiring, black is hot, red and white wired together for tap,. green is ground. Doesn't matter what pickup, that's their wiring. (D'Marrzio is Red hot, black and white for tap, green ground.)

The second and third option are the same, unless I'm missing something

My question is to clarify which of the diagrams correctly represents the color codes in accordance with the pickup orientation...

You will notice that Option 1 shows the normal picture always shown of a "Bridge" position pickup and wiring codes... (north=slugs on top)... the corresponding "Neck" position diagram is quite literally a mirror image... (north=slugs on bottom)... I mirrored the wire colors to reflect that n the diagram as well. Notice that the labels on the wire colors are the same in both positions... This is my understanding of how SD pickups are wired, but as I said, nobody ever shows the wiring diagram with a "Neck" orientation.

Option 2 and Option 3 are indeed different...

- Look at the North and South labels on the pickup bobbins

- Also notice the North/South Start/Finish labels on the wire colors

Archived