How to tell if a Wolfgang Special is Made in USA or Made in Korea

Anax

• Members

Hi to everyone!

I bought for a friend this guitar but I can tell if this guitar is made in the USA or Korean because the serial number is erased.

With these photos can We found the made of?

Thank you in advance.

016afc633436525d79639be67237b50a.thumb.jpeg.5c0ce8691f87c83eaf28aa1dafbfd4e7.jpeg

7a1845c0e52c62b21e49cc6214b43f55.thumb.jpeg.23466ce50d42b07cfd2a7f9e918a46f4.jpeg

c9671144ed4887c44560928478a992bc.thumb.jpeg.e262758031aad456a3b5f30be56e1f52.jpeg

57bdec41a29cf0b079e0e8baba441cda.thumb.jpeg.8786038e217640cbf0680db8a481f870.jpeg

6dea9ffc3f48b75eea1d882b7140ff24.thumb.jpeg.842ac1799af87f7e04105193d13470ee.jpeg

• Members

From GC's site...

A spellbinding Wolfgang Special model with a gorgeous arched top basswood body and flame maple top, crafted in EVH's Mexico facility with a re-imagined design that delivers more guitar at greater valu... Click To Read More About This Product

From the EVHgear website:

© 2017 FMIC.

EVH® logo are registered trademarks of E.L.V.H. Inc.

The unique stripe design is a copyright (2001) of E.L.V.H Inc.

All rights reserved.

Put the two together and.....

• Moderators
I'd guess stolen.

My first thought as well, as there is no legitimate reason to remove or obscure the serial number.*

If the tuners were Grover 'minis', that would place this guitar as a Korean build, if they were Schaller minis, it would likely be a US build...but they are Sperzels, which, to my knowledge were never standard issue on Peavey Wolfgangs. I'm inclined to think this was a Korean built EXP, based on the single knob, flat maple cap... but even the pickups were replaced with Seymours...hard to identify without taking it apart and looking at the pot, switch, jack etc...assuming they are original... :idk:

Even with a s/n, as far as dating, forget it: "Peavey Wolfgang owners have often sought to find a corroboration in the serial numbers of their guitars and the year in which each was built (similar to the system Gibson uses), there was no such information contained in the serial numbers. There was also no code specific to Custom Shop models. Peavey Wolfgang serial numbers were stamped on the back of the headstock between the tuners. Edward Van Halen's signature and the headstock patent number[5] were both branded just below the serial number. Early Wolfgang models (1996–1998) contained the term "Pat. Pend." in place of the patent number. Korean model EXP Wolfgang Specials had serial numbers printed in black on the back of the headstock."

*Early Wolfies serial numbers started with '91', later USA builds started with 50 or 51. I could find no serial data on the Korean versions at all.

• Members

Ι have read somewhere that if the serial number is engraved and not typed, then it is made in the USA. Have you read that too? Tuners and pickups have been changed and I have the original pickups. Can I find out from the originals if they are made in the USA? If yes, how?

• Moderators
Ι have read somewhere that if the serial number is engraved and not typed' date=' then it is made in the USA. Have you read that too? Tuners and pickups have been changed and I have the original pickups. Can I find out from the originals if they are made in the USA? If yes, how?[/quote']

THe pick-ups likely won't help...original tuners would be the tattle-tale...check the threads on the output jack, if they are metric, it is a Korean jack

• Members

Peavey was the first to use CNC machines in the STATES. Everything they did, they built in the USA up until the late 80's. then came the international series. (garbage) Then only the top shelf stuff was made in the States.

• 2 years later...
  • Members
On 5/30/2017 at 5:56 PM, Bucksstudent said:
Huh... Last I checked Peavey hasn't made anything in the USA for quite some time' date=' And if not mistaken never a guitar made in the USA[/quote']

They offer custom guitars made in the U.S.A., and much of their amp line is still MIA.

On 5/27/2017 at 6:07 AM, Anax said:

Ι have read somewhere that if the serial number is engraved and not typed, then it is made in the USA. Have you read that too? Tuners and pickups have been changed and I have the original pickups. Can I find out from the originals if they are made in the USA? If yes, how?

Correct. Peavey Wolfgang Special's were made in both the USA and overseas. There are 2 indicators of a USA made Special.

1. Eddie's signature is stamped into the wood (not ink, although it does have some color in the impression) on the back of the headstock.

2. The serial number stamped into the wood (not ink) in the back of the headstock between the tuners. 

I have a Gold USA Special. 

• 1 month later...
  • Members

A quilt top Peavey Wolfgang Special is definitely made in Korea.  The cheaper bridge is also a give away.   The back of the headstock of a USA model should have an embossed serial number and EVH signature stamped as well.   They've always been clearly stamped on the ones I've seen, not sure what the faint numbers on this one are...my guess is someone tried to make it into a USA model.   It's also possible that someone could have put a USA neck on a Korean body assuming the dimensions are the same.  

Archived