A word of thanks to you all

• Members

OK, so a brief story:

My wife lost her seasonal summer job so she and I hit the pavement. In an effort to make up the cash I applied to a company that specializes in wedding DJ-ing. I am now a glorified emcee who plays CD tracks to drunk 20-somethigns and their parents.

The system is provided by the company, and consists of a dual-CD deck w/ interface, a 4 channel DJ Style mixer and some sort of amp. There are a few QSCs and some OLD peavey. The speakers are no name 2-way rectangles with a 15" woofer and horn. I asked, and there are a couple of subs available, buy they are optional.

As I am going through orientation, I make metion that I have been lucky enough to build a few systems successfully and mentioned simple things liek gaff tape, cable ties and OVER-UNDER cord wrapping. In all three of those cases I got very quizzical looks from MY TRAINER!

So in conclusion to this brief story, I am sending out a word of thanks to all of you here at the LS&P forum. Over the years (probably 7 or more) you have taught me a lot as I browse the posts. You have helped me learn about speaker choices and placement. I now about properly matching speakers and have a more robust knowledge of acoustics and system handling. I can aux feed subs or run them as part of the main output. I know how to properly use bussing and compression.

So to agedhorse, dboomer, and the rest of you old guys - and the new ones too! - thank you very much. the forums goals of imparting knowledge and having productive conversation has served its purpose well. While I am no longer a green rookie by any means, I personally still have a lot to learn and y'all still have a lot of knowledge to teach to others. But for the time being I seem to have more system knowledge than just about anyone at this rather large DJ company. I think THEY have a lot to learn too!

In Appreciation

Justin

• Members

I echo the sentiment of the OP. The knowledge I have learned here is so invaluable... couldn't have learned it in I can't tell you how many "classes."

I've been where the OP is... worked for a DJ company that provided everything... from the equipment to the CD's to use (made my own mixes and used those as well despite being against "company policy"). Company was called DJUSA I believe. Did it for about a year. Made some real good money, even as much as tips matching the fee the company charged. But true, over glorified MC that happens to play music. My recommendation, based on experience is, the more fun you have, the more fun your guests will have and, most importantly, the more money you will make! Have fun and use it as a learning experience.

Stix

By the way, I prolly fall in that old F*ck category as well! :)

• Members

I'm also going to steal this post, and say "thanks" to everyone over the very few years I have been here.

I've also learned quite a bit, and I'm still learning.

Maybe someday......I'll be agedhorse Jr.

Gotta dream!

• Members

I'll take this opportunity to say that in the 13 years I have been on HCAF (more than 1/3 of my life, off and on), the site has taught me to play guitar, program MIDI, record audio, run sound, and countless other technical skills including the skills which landed me my first and largest client, which in turn allowed me to literally quit my day job.

More importantly, the threads here have really been an aid to learning larger skills such as how to troubleshoot complex technical systems, how to form opinions about solutions to problems, and (sometimes) how not to come across as a jackass to strangers. Usually by failing mightily :D . While this learning has not been separate from all the other study and experiences I have had, it is odd to think how strangely influential this little community has been to my thinking and how I look at the world.

Thanks.

And be careful what you write, folks-- people read ;).

• Members

Ditto! When you play as a sub with a band that used to be one of your projects,and offer your system(for a fee of course),at their "home" gig,and everyone including the band(even the ones that didn't want to like it) say "They/we have never sounded better! I didn't know the drummer could sound like that! Then you begin to realize how much help you have been blessed with here! So,Thanx as well!

• Members

Put me on the 'Thank You' list, too.

I started coming here in 2008 when I wanted to make some intelligent decisions about putting together a PA after a 10 years hiatus. Lots of people gave me some great individual advice along the way, like jwlussow and abzurd. I love the way the forum is run, which in my experience is the result of a good moderator (craigv!). People here can express strong opinions without flaming each other and that in itself is something I've learned from.

I always, always want to see what Andy the Horse and Don the Boomer have to say, plus I want to know how cold it is the Dakotas when Coaster is building new cabinets, how much it's raining on the Hellingers in Washington State, what axisplayer's band is doing in Virginia, you name it.

gonzobassman is right, there's nothing better than when people say, 'We never sounded this good!'

Oh, this is my 100th post, an appropriate time to say 'Thanks', one more time!

Regards, Harry in Tejas

• Members

I've been doing audio for 30+ years (does that make me an old guy too :-) and I STILL learn (and don't ever want to stop).

Agreed this is an excellent forum for the exchange of ideas without too many bruised egos, one upsmanship and the usual B.S. that happens in most forums. This makes for a great learning environment.

Add my thanks to all as well.

Archived