Chance to hear a rare Japanese guitar........1969 Rokkomann F-3

Rothstaman

• Members

I happened to score this a year or so ago and I couldn't find many clips online.

Sorry for the ****************e playing. I just wanted people to be able to hear one. These are old strings too. I love the tone of this one.

355b301481ddbcc4ed222b835313e3ef.JPG.89f5a3c4c86694216ea7874411b0297b.JPG

• Members
I've never heard of that brand. What makes them so special?

They were on the higher end of the Japanese guitars produced in the 60's / 70's. They were supremely well made with quality wood and if you can find them, you can usually get them for cheap because they are way under the radar. Mine is dated 1969 and the neck is straight as an arrow, the action is just about perfect and the saddle hasn't even been taken down very far.

Here is some information about them and Maya, or El Maya badged guitars. They seem to have been coming from the same maker.

http://torchsvintageguitarresearchblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/mayael-maya-guitar-originsrokkomann.html

Japan was putting out some nice stuff back them Yamaki, Takamine, Suzuki, Tokai, Matsumoku (Aria and many others), Hoshino Gaki (Japanese Ibanez) and believe it or not Kawai, who were known for their piano's and keyboards, made some nice acoustics (I happen to have three of them). Many of the better factories were the ones making guitars for Fender, Epiphone and the like.

Archived