ev elx112p's went into thermal shutdown..sort of my fault :(

• Members

So just did last night with my new EV system. Small place maybe 2500sqft,12s over 18s.

More than adequate. Much more than I needed and sounded great.

After watching this thread was worried I had made a bad choice over the heat concerns.

They didn't even really get warm to the touch,had to leave my hand there till it finally warmed through the back plate.

5hrs of loud rock and bass heavy break music,packed hot bar not a single hiccup.

So far so good. I got a great deal on a great little system, thanks to Mike Pyle for that.

Paid less for the whole thing than for 2 of the JBL subs. I don't know if these rock as hard as the JBL but they work well for the price.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey, took a chance and ran my 'ringer B412DSP's outdoors today. Even hitting the limiters constantly they ran flawless. However I had the best power I've ever seen (8 dedicated circuits I think plus at least 4 240V outlets for distros :eek:) and the heatsinks were never in the sun, plus it was only about 85 I think. Unfortunately they are still stoopid heavy :lol: at 65lbs each (non-neo, class "H", heavy iron power supplies) .

• Members

So just did last night with my new EV system. Small place maybe 2500sqft,12s over 18s.

More than adequate. Much more than I needed and sounded great.

After watching this thread was worried I had made a bad choice over the heat concerns.

They didn't even really get warm to the touch,had to leave my hand there till it finally warmed through the back plate.

5hrs of loud rock and bass heavy break music,packed hot bar not a single hiccup.

So far so good. I got a great deal on a great little system, thanks to Mike Pyle for that.

Paid less for the whole thing than for 2 of the JBL subs. I don't know if these rock as hard as the JBL but they work well for the price.

Glad to hear you like your EV rig and was problem free.

How does your EV rig compare to the PA you was using ?

• Members

Much better. Our old one was adequate for what situations but lacked punch and definition.

The EV is lighter louder and clearer. The subs punch well for us. I'm pretty happy overall.

At this price point its easy to scratch up cash to add to the system and get more coverage.

I'm using Yorkville poles that Mike was kind enough to include also. Adjustable,and pretty solid.

• Members
Much better. Our old one was adequate for what situations but lacked punch and definition.

The EV is lighter louder and clearer. The subs punch well for us. I'm pretty happy overall.

At this price point its easy to scratch up cash to add to the system and get more coverage.

I'm using Yorkville poles that Mike was kind enough to include also. Adjustable,and pretty solid.

Glad you finally got your new cabs.:thu:

• Members

Right on bro, glad to hear Mike did you justice, and it's why I highly recommend to everybody. Plus as mention from the price you can get a quicker return to add on for more coverage.

• Members

Right on bro, glad to hear Mike did you justice, and it's why I highly recommend to everybody. Plus as mention from the price you can get a quicker return to add on for more coverage.

Just Got done pounding them for 5 more hrs. No heat, not a single miss with them.

They remained cooler than my Yamaha MSR400s that I was using as monitors.

More than enough rig for the gig.

I'm looking forward to a couple of other gigs coming up soon where I can shake some walls!

Modulus, good to hear from you,passing your way early Tues I think. Hope your Tioga gig went well!

• Members

what was your old rig?

• Members

Just Got done pounding them for 5 more hrs. No heat, not a single miss with them.

They remained cooler than my Yamaha MSR400s that I was using as monitors.

More than enough rig for the gig.

I'm looking forward to a couple of other gigs coming up soon where I can shake some walls!

Modulus, good to hear from you,passing your way early Tues I think.
Hope your Tioga gig went well
!

It did the weather was perfect.

• Members

is anyone using the ev powered subs? thats my next investment..to replace my jbl jrx passives :( (i swear i get mine to sound "decent")...i was even considering the passive ev subs...but would rather have all powered setup so i can use the internal x-overs and lose a few pieces of gear out of my rack. anyways...opinions on the ev subs?

• Members

At our first full band gig with the PRX system and eight songs in, the sub went thermal. Lost all bass for about a minute before it came back for about ten minutes, then it died again. Sigh.

It's not hitting the limiter at all that I can see. We threw a fan on it and it hasn't died again yet.

A regular poster on DJForums did receive a response from JBL regarding the issue. Here is a quote from his post :

BTW, I finally received a phone call back from JBL regarding the overheating problem. They acknowledged that this is a common issue and they currently addressing a fix. In the interim they told me to return for warranty repair following their standard warranty claim process.

Al

• Members

what was your old rig?[/quote

Yamaha over SP118.

Worked good for a long time,still works good. Just needed a little more.

Studiolive,with DRPA for control. No.amps acoustic drums.

Sounds good... I've always considered myself a jbl fan (with a bit of peavey). Only ever used ev once, a force sub, and i was disappointed. Plus i've never been happy with the older powered gear i've heard. But this system sounds good. And the price is amazing.

• Members

So you are using EV ELX 112P over 118P cabinets?

• Members

So you are using EV ELX 112P over 118P cabinets?

Yes I am.

Driven with a Studiolive 1642 and DRPA for a xover. I found that I had to dial the bass back on the xover as it was too much. Tops at 0.0, subs at -4.0 was pretty balanced for the venue.. Tops at 100up 18BW slope, subs 100 down to 40 18 BW slope. I read those settings over at the DBX forum.

So far I am very happy with the way the EV's have performed

• Members

i thought one one of the perks of the studiolive was no need for a xover? i thought that was onboard too?....either way i still want one of those...and the elx118p's sounds like a simple setup once you learn the board inside and out

• Members

i thought one one of the perks of the studiolive was no need for a xover? i thought that was onboard too?....either way i still want one of those...and the elx118p's sounds like a simple setup once you learn the board inside and out

The SL 16 mixer very user friendly. don't you already own the elx 112pp's ?

• Members
is anyone using the ev powered subs? thats my next investment..to replace my jbl jrx passives
:(
(i swear i get mine to sound "decent")...i was even considering the passive ev subs...but would rather have all powered setup so i can use the internal x-overs and lose a few pieces of gear out of my rack. anyways...opinions on the ev subs?

I pm'ed you about the ELX subs.

• Members

Nope, no crossover.

• Members

yes i do have the elx 112p's i was talking about the presonus mixer

Well your elx 112p's have a x-over switch and since the elx 118p's sub is it's mate. You wouldn't need a external x-over or a driverack with the sl 16 mixer.

Archived