ev elx112p's went into thermal shutdown..sort of my fault :(

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have to echo what Al said; I've never had a trace of thermal issues with any of my Yorkville active boxes (14 of them), in four years of use, nor have I come across any such issues with other users.

FWIW, this stereotypical "thing" about "D.J.'s" being "idiots", REALLY bothers me. I'm not a D.J., but I've seen some DJ's with outstanding rigs, and the knowledge to run these rigs as true professionals. Catch a show by a MuchMusic crew sometime, and you'll see what I mean. It literally shames many of the local "live" shows I've come across.

• Members

I recently went to a Michel Pagliaro concert , July 1st (Canada Day). It was an outdoor gig (large park). There were probably 3000 or so in attendance. The sound guy had six SRX subs (2 per side, 2 dead center). They had three dual 15" SRX tops per side of the stage, mounted on scaffolding. The sound was fine,,,, as long as you were situated between the stage and the sound-booth. Aside from that area, all you could hear was bass,,,, the occasional shot on the snare,,, nothing from the guitars,,, and you could hear the lead vocalist, but not the back-up singers. I was impressed at the sound quality and output of those subs, as well as the tops,,,, as long as I was in front of the stage,,, but anywhere else in that park, the sound sucked. Definitely not what I would normally expect from a national act.

The MuchMusic DJ crews I've seen, are obviously doing smaller shows,(several hundred people) but man oh man, these guys sure know what they are doing. They're doing the "Video Dance" thing, with huge video screens,,, high-end projection systems ($45,000.), and the sound was unbelievably tight, and focused. No trace of boominess, or over-worked subs,,, yet all the "kick-you-in-the-chest" punch you could ever want. It was VERY impressive. Balanced to perfection. I could actually stay in that room for extended periods(rare for me), with no trace of listener fatigue, whatsoever. FWIW, they used all Yorkie rigs (speakers,amps, processors, mixers)

• Members

Al, I think "DJ" duty is harder on things since the music is ubercompressed and the rms to peak ratio is much higher than typical live music...

DJ's also run music continuously and don't take two and three minutes breaks in between each song ;)

• Members

I have to echo what Al said; I've never had a trace of thermal issues with any of my Yorkville active boxes (14 of them), in four years of use, nor have I come across any such issues with other users.

FWIW, this stereotypical "thing" about "D.J.'s" being "idiots", REALLY bothers me. I'm not a D.J., but I've seen some DJ's with outstanding rigs, and the knowledge to run these rigs as true professionals. Catch a show by a MuchMusic crew sometime, and you'll see what I mean. It literally shames many of the local "live" shows I've come across.

I agree with Al and Bobby1Note on this.

The backs of my EF500ps are black and don't even have heat sinks on them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]336814[/ATTACH]

They must have the heat sinks inside them. Maybe using the cones movement to actively cool the amps? Don't know for sure. Never have had to take them apart.

Hot days with the sun on their backs. Never a problem.

I wonder if the OP had power problems at the gig?

Dookietwo

• Members

Unfortunately there are no qualifications for who can own and operate a sound system. I think the DJ's get panned the most because anyone with an mp3 player, some tunes, and the cash for what passes as a PA system can call themselves a DJ. Given that, there are just more DJ's and those masquerading as "DJ's" out there. Most members of your typical band at most levels are equally clueless about sound reinforcement and some just as arrogant about it as the "DJ" wanna be. Hell, I'll go so far as to say well into the double digits of those out there calling themselves a "sound company" and running their own rigs for other bands aren't much more knowledgeable about sound reinforcement than the bands they are running sound for. For a lot of people it's just a big stereo. You plug things in and turn it up until it's either loud enough or breaks getting there.

• Members

i say my fault because i should have never thought these powered speakers should have functioned in that heat...total user error

Don't be so hard on yourself I would have thought the same thing being in 90 degree weather by a ocean. I would have never thought that the EV's would go into thermal. I own the ELX subs good to know they can't handle 90 degree weather. :cry:

I know Age you get what you pay for no need to throw us EV owners under the bus.:p

• Members

thanks...but truth is i was thinking about it while setting up. too late because my passive mains and amp were at home (hour and a half away). i showed up to the gig in long pants like a dummy as well..hahaha thank god for change of clothes in the van.

to answer the other question about power...i had plenty of headroom and wasnt pushing the system hardly at all. its a smaller sized deck with tables right up to the stage. you face the building..which is blocked by the bar but pretty much open. i really didnt need much power to push through there at all. other than the thermal incident that night the p.a. sounded great. or did you mean actual wall outlet power...thats a problem at that bar as everyone pretty much plugs into one outlet under the stage.(at least that was the only power the manager said was available..and that i could find) you literally have to push the stage apart to crawl under to get to it. im not sure how constant or how clean the current was...not sure if that could have been part of the problem.

i think aged is 100% right it was the black paint and amps with the sun on them for a few hours...overheated them. simple live and learn. next time ill bring the passive ones or next time ill make sure these are in the shade. other than this one incident im 100% happy with them and trust them 100% (in the shade :rolleyes:) you cant beat them at that price point

• Members

thanks...but truth is i was thinking about it while setting up. too late because my passive mains and amp were at home (hour and a half away). i showed up to the gig in long pants like a dummy as well..hahaha thank god for change of clothes in the van.

to answer the other question about power...i had plenty of headroom and wasnt pushing the system hardly at all. its a smaller sized deck with tables right up to the stage. you face the building..which is blocked by the bar but pretty much open. i really didnt need much power to push through there at all. other than the thermal incident that night the p.a. sounded great. or did you mean actual wall outlet power...thats a problem at that bar as everyone pretty much plugs into one outlet under the stage.(at least that was the only power the manager said was available..and that i could find) you literally have to push the stage apart to crawl under to get to it. im not sure how constant or how clean the current was...not sure if that could have been part of the problem.

i think aged is 100% right it was the black paint and amps with the sun on them for a few hours...overheated them. simple live and learn. next time ill bring the passive ones or next time ill make sure these are in the shade. other than this one incident im 100% happy with them and trust them 100% (in the shade
:rolleyes:
) you cant beat them at that price point

Power at Sunset is all over the place. I have metered it as low as 96 volts.

• Members

i have Pod XTLs (which I love btw, but I am getting the HD soon)

but sometimes out doors in the heat/sunlight they will freak out a little.

have had their volume drop and then come back (when in and out of direct sun) MANY times.

and once this year it was REALLY hot and sunny for a lunchtime gig the LCD screen looked like it was melting or something I dunno

but they take a beating and come back.

WHich is pretty amazing for any piece of gear

• Members

dumb question from someone who is totally ignorant:

Digital amps in an amp rack can they have problems due to heat? (overheating ect?)

also we have played gigs where there isnt great power (meter on rack strip says 110-112) and the subs just wont go anymore

• Members

dumb question from someone who is totally ignorant:

Digital amps in an amp rack can they have problems due to heat? (overheating ect?)

also we have played gigs where there isnt great power (meter on rack strip says 110-112) and the subs just wont go anymore

If they don't breath, they can have issues too. I used to keep my amps separated by an empty space with a space above and below each as well. This setup worked for me even in silly hot outside gigs.

• Members

At our first full band gig with the PRX system and eight songs in, the sub went thermal. Lost all bass for about a minute before it came back for about ten minutes, then it died again. Sigh.

It's not hitting the limiter at all that I can see. We threw a fan on it and it hasn't died again yet.

• Members

At our first full band gig with the PRX system and eight songs in, the sub went thermal. Lost all bass for about a minute before it came back for about ten minutes, then it died again. Sigh.

It's not hitting the limiter at all that I can see. We threw a fan on it and it hasn't died again yet.

How is the wall or AC voltage? Any chance you put a meter on it?

• Members

That is sad to hear.

• Members

If they don't breath, they can have issues too. I used to keep my amps separated by an empty space with a space above and below each as well. This setup worked for me even in silly hot outside gigs.

If the amps are fan cooled, space between amps is un-necessary.

• Members

How is the wall or AC voltage? Any chance you put a meter on it?

We have a Furman PM-8 in the rack. We don't plug the speakers into it, but it was on the same circuit they were, and it was showing 116v. We have run the Meyer system here with no issues with regards to power. The mains were the only thing on that circuit, monitors and lights were on a second one.

At shutdown the back of the sub was too hot to touch. I couldn't place my hand on it for even a full second. The song we were playing was very bass.heavy - Usher's "Yeah" - but we are not a particularly loud band (electronic drums and direct bass and guitars). It was disheartening. For the price of two of the tops and two subs, I could have two of the EV tops and four of their subs.

Also on that point, to my ears, the EV112p cabinets have better highs than the PRX612M.

• Members

lets say assuming the problem was the power and not the heat from the sun. how would i go about fixing the problem? obviously im not going to re-wire the club and cant run to the store for a generator. is there anything i can do that would help the situation so the speakers wouldnt be at risk?

honestly next outdoor show i do thats a little more than warm or i know will be in the direct sun, ill just bring my passive setup...but then again if it was a power issue i think id still have issues...unless me amps run cooler

Archived