New Ground Stack Rig (help)

• Members

I NEED HELP FINDING A NEW RIG

Here is the story friends. I recently purchased a brand new rig consisting of 6 Kara's over 2 SB28 a side. I LOVE this rig and this is my biggest purchase yet. Anyway I always used to rent out my "bigger" rigs and have gotten enough business to justify spending some cash on a rig of my own. Now here is where the problem lies.

My next biggest system to that is a JBL MRX/PRX rig. You may now see the issue. I need the ability to ground stack for quite a few of my shows and need some better quality gear that the clients will be expecting. (also rider acceptable to an extent)

Here are my hopes:

- 2 medium throw tops over 2 dual 18" or 15" a side

- POWERED (this is what i really would like but its not absolutely necessary)

- looking around the sound quality and $$$ -+ range of JBL SRX

- Weight and size not the biggest issue (I hire a crew for that)

- Can be used just not beat to snot

Ive looked at meyer and a few others but what ill be using it for (mostly dance floor supplement or band option) doesn't justify the cost, plus the fact that I just bought a new system leaves me a little strapped for cash.

Any Make/Model that come to mind that you might recommend let me know.

Thanks in advance. :thu:

• Members

I think maybe it'd suit you proper if you invested in another pair (or 4) of the SB28's and went with some mid-throw boxes on top of which to meet your demands for a mid-level rig. Ev QRx212 are a solid option, as well as JBL SRX 722.

As far as powered rigs go, there's not a lot of options. At this level, passive systems make more sense to me. Most of the powered stuff in this range (meyer, turbosound, KV2) is extremely expensive, and in my experience has been a nightmare as far as power distribution and system tuning. a pair of QRx112 over a pair of SB28's per side is an incredible rig and not all that expensive. It'll make more sense to buy more SB28's instead of investing in a totally different type of subwoofer, so you can expand your KARA rig as desired. You can devise a system of pre-assembled amp racks that you mix-and-match as your systems scale up or down.

• Members

Why not use (some of) them?

I think the issue is that the boxes themselves are beyond the budget of the niche he's trying to fill. He needs a lower-cost alternative to fill the gap between his PRX and KARA rigs.

• Members

But he already owns them. What's cheaper than using what you already have? For a smaller gig go with 1 sub & 2-3 tops per side instead of the full rig. Buying something to 'save money' sounds like the argument my wife uses when she buys something on sale.

• Members

But he already owns them. What's cheaper than using what you already have? For a smaller gig go with 1 sub & 2-3 tops per side instead of the full rig. Buying something to 'save money' sounds like the argument my wife uses when she buys something on sale.

Although he didn't say, I think he's a sound provider looking for a rig better than the smaller rig and not as pricey or cumbersome as the bigger one he just bought. Kind of a Goldilocks scenario.

• Members

Contact Agedhorse. While I was at his shop, he showed me a number of line array units he had for sale that could be easily ground stacked. Very nice boxes. Andy seems to always have a ton of stuff looking for a new home and it's quality not crap.

sure it is okay rig, . but will not at all be rider acceptable..

I have used kara a number of times, I mostly like the rig, though not a fan of the bottoms.

IF it where me I would go with a ground stack kara rig (how many kara's do you have???) (basically a kara upside down )

The benifit to this is that you can build longer arrays, for larger even, or cut it in 1/2 for smaller ones (or do 2 at once). Also it stops you from haveing extra amps and stuff kicking around the shop.

As for subs, . pick your favorite - I have 10 Lab 12's so I am rarely in need of more bottom end. for you , you might consider meyer, or NEXO. You say you already have some of the SB28.

To sum up ...... you said in your post "now you see the problem", and well to be honest, I can't, I would use the existing equipment, to maximise my $$ effecency.

IF you need to offer a lower cost alternitive to your clients, AND your confident that you will be more profitable (as opposed to underselling your own clients in to a lower $$$ system). Danley make some cool stuff, or a KF650 sort of rig.

Lastly " ablitly to ground stack" .... that might mean you can have some sort of ground stacked truss structure, you then hang your array from.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Im just having a really hard time trying to put some ideas together.

The reason I'm looking for a different rig is because the mrx/prx stuff doesn't really cut it for me and I have times where I need to use both systems and IMO line arrays dont always fit the bill. I do like the idea of more sb28 with some arcs or something of the like.

Im not buying to save money Im buying to upgrade what in my opinion is an inferior system.

Thanks for helping me out guys. Once again I really appreciate it.

• Members

Why not buy a used JBL SRX4733/4719 system?

I just wanted some opinions on what might be out there as far as powered systems. See if I had over looked anything. From the responses i've seen so far I really havent. I wish JBL would just put out an active SRX series.

• Members

What benifit do you see to active?

In my opinion, active(in this context I mean powered) has the most benifits to inexperianced sound people. I think that as you get in to bigger systems, the benfitis of active start to drop off, and they are "about compareable" to there un powered cohorts.

If your useing l'acoustics rigs, you are clearly at a level where you can deal with the issues such as bridgeing amps, setting up 3, or 4 way actively crossed over systems, and all the things that go along with being in that world.

Now we all know that thre are some very big powered systems out taht, and I Am not saying that powered = noob.... no, but I am saying at that level they arn't useing powered because useing unpowered cabsnets are to hard for them to figure out :)

Have you conaidered some of the l'acoustics traditionial cabs? They would make nice front fills with the array you have.

I really think you should consider more of what you have though.

Archived