microphone mystery

• Members

I have a sure sm58. It has always been cared for.

I plug it into a Mackie 16 VLZ pro and it has a real weak signal. I try it on different channels and the same.

I try new chords and test it against other mics and the same. The other mics work fine on these channels and with the same chords.

I bring this mic home and it works fine plugged into an amp. I take it to another PA system and it works fine. WTF

I'm loosing my mind. what is the deal??? anyone???

• Members

Shorted pin 1 + 2 (or 3)? Thus: okay with unbalanced signals, not okay otherwise.

Good guess. When you short pin 2 or 3 to ground (pin 1) it unbalances the signal. In most cases it still works fine (without the common mode rejection) but some differential amps don't like it. Interesting enough, if the other signal lead were shorted, it probably would work OK (again though without the balance noise cancellation). Some front end balancing schemes are finicky. This never happens with true transformer balanced inputs (but differential amps are cheaper and usualy work fine (even better than a cheap transformer)). I'd at least CAREFULY pop the connector out of the butt end of the mic and inspect it for sloppy wiring.

• Members

I'm confident its not counter fit. Thanks for the replys I'll look

I hear they're making pretty good counterfeits out there but if it's a genuine Shure then maybe a trip to the dealer might be in order - unless you bought it online.

Hopefully your other mics and cords that you're using to A/B the problem are all standard issue.

• Members

I try new chords....work fine on these channels and with the same chords.

It sounds like you have a major (but, possibly minor) problem. As far as resolving the issue, trying an inversion of your dominant ...something about diminishing...tri-tone. This is harder than I thought it would be when I started.

/troll

• Members

It sounds like you have a
major
(but, possibly
minor
) problem. As far as
resolving
the issue, trying an
inversion
of your
dominant
...something about diminishing...tri-tone. This is harder than I thought it would be when I started.

/troll

:badump:

• Members

Check the button on the back of your Mackie 1604 that allows you to switch between a mic level and a line level output. You want the line level - it sounds like you might accidentally be on the mic level output.

Ummm, it should be mic level.

• Members

Ummm, it should be mic level.

No, some of the VLZ mixers have a switch that switches the main OUTPUT to mic level. If he's connecting the mixer to a power amplifier next in the signal chain, he would then be sending a mic level signal to the amplifier causing a "weak signal" problem.

The 1604VLZ Pro does not appear to have this feature, however. I should of checked before posting.

My 1202VLZ does have such a switch and it is not recessed, which causes a lot of trouble.

• Members

No, some of the VLZ mixers have a switch that switches the main OUTPUT to mic level. If he's connecting the mixer to a power amplifier next in the signal chain, he would then be sending a mic level signal to the amplifier causing a "weak signal" problem.

The 1604VLZ Pro does not appear to have this feature, however. I should of checked before posting.

My 1202VLZ does have such a switch and it is not recessed, which causes a lot of trouble.

I see where you were going with this but if the other mics had good solid output.......

• Members

The 1202 has this feature (for video into camera use) but not the 1604. Funny though, the 1202 (often) latchs up if phantom power is present, making this feature useless.

Archived