Looking for advice

• Members

Hi Everyone !

This is my first post, I've been reading for a bit and I'm looking for some advice. My wife is in a band and I'm building a sound system for them. So far I have a Yamaha EMX 5000 mixer, 2-S115V mains, 2-SW115V subs & 2-BR12M monitors. I know I need at least 1 amp for the subs & maybe a crossover for the mains?

What amp would you recommend ? Why? X-over ? Anything else ? Thanks ! !

• Members

You do need a crossover if you are running mains and subs.

The new Peavey IPR amps are good value and very light. You do not want to put more than 250 watts into those subs, so the IPR 1600 may be good. I used one of the larger ones (4500)on my SRX 718's the other night and was impressed with the performance. They have decent built in crossovers also.

You could run your mains on one channel and the subs on the other and use your 5000 on monitors. You will need to set your high pass filters and crossover accordingly.

• Members

Your mixer amp puts out 500w/side@4 ohms. You can power your tops off 1 side, your subs off the other, then all you need is a small amp, something like a QSC Gx3 or Crown XLS1000 for ~$300. The other option would be to get something like a QSC Gx5 or Crown XLS1500 for ~$400 which has a built in crossover; then you could use one side for tops, one for subs, and use the mixer amps for two monitor mixes. There are other possibilities using outboard crossovers, etc. but this way you only need to purchase an amp for the system.

• Members

I was thinking about using an amp to just run the subs through the 5000s low pass filter. Then run the mains & monitors through the 5000. Would it be better to get an amp with a built in crossover and use it to power both the mains & subs?

Which way would get me the best sound?

Thanks for the advice so far !

• Members

If you power tops off one side and subs off the other... How do your properly cross them over?

Also where did jlb try an IPR4500? Are they out now??

I just talked to the bass player for the band I did sound for and it was the IPR 3000. I guess the 4500 will be in stores soon. Man that amp was light! It sounded great too. I am thinking about picking one of them up to replace my monitor amp.

As far as the crossover goes I believe each channel has its own HPF. I did not really have a chance to get into the detail of the amp at the gig. We used the IPR on the 718's and their CS 800 on the tops.

I think the amp with the built in crossover and running mains and subs off each channel is the way to go. Just make sure you power the amp to RMS value of your speakers.

• Members

I was thinking about using an amp to just run the subs through the 5000s low pass filter. Then run the mains & monitors through the 5000. Would it be better to get an amp with a built in crossover and use it to power both the mains & subs?

Which way would get me the best sound?

Thanks for the advice so far !

The problem with this is that your tops will be running full range and reproducing some of the same frequencies as the subs.

• Members

I THINK you can set that powered mixer's amps up for monitor output only. If so, that's what I would do and get a QSC GX5 or GX7 power amplifier that has a built-in crossover and run the mains from that in mono, 2 subs a side and 2 tops a side. I also recommend returning or selling off those BR monitors and getting SM12Vs for that, MUCH better sound.

Not sure on this model but previous of that mixer model had a unpowered main mix out AND a power amp input so a crossover could be used with the internal amps BUT not sure now.

Boomerweps

• Members

I THINK you can set that powered mixer's amps up for monitor output only. If so, that's what I would do and get a QSC GX5 or GX7 power amplifier that has a built-in crossover and run the mains from that in mono, 2 subs a side and 2 tops a side. I also recommend returning or selling off those BR monitors and getting SM12Vs for that, MUCH better sound.

Not sure on this model but previous of that mixer model had a unpowered main mix out AND a power amp input so a crossover could be used with the internal amps BUT not sure now.

Boomerweps

Agreed. The GX5 may be a better power match for those speakers.Good Luck!

• Members

You could use your mixers amps for tops and subs, but would need a seperate crossover hooked in between the stereo outs, and the power amp inputs. Better would be a Gx5, XLS1500, or IPR1600, all of which have onboard crossovers and are good matches in power for your subs and tops. Then you could use the switch on you mixer to lower the onboard amp power to better match your monitors, which spec at 150rms.

Archived