• Members

Hey, I am doing sound for a living/Hobby, and i was wondering if any of you guys that done this for a living ever have any off time, time from event to event, like a month of so off.I do about 1 to 3 events a month and i have august off , last year i had a couple of months off and it just drives me nuts:facepalm:. do any of you guys go throught the down time?

• Members

If I have more than one weekend off I feel like no one wants to hire me anymore. I question everything about my work. Then I start working again and I pray for a weekend off. I think I already went nuts.

I do agree with Coaster. If I have more than one weekend off, I begin to re-rack, re-wire, test and wash cables, sort work boxes, clean truss, clean light optics, vacuum the rat fur cabinets and wash the painted cabs, re-program light shows, clean drawers, re-calibrate everything, replace labels, clean mic's, wash the truck/trailer, and it never ends. If I took off a year, I couldn't complete everything I really want to do to the system. The last time I had everything like I really wanted it at the time was when I started the company and spent 6 months before I started booking shows getting everything together and making the system work for the first time.

• Members

yeah , but how long does anyone have off between gigs. I enjoy my time off to a point , but then i get the Itch to get out there and do it again. My off times are usually july and aug. but i have a candidate speaking this weekend , where i am going to use the arena's gear.instead of mine. ( it was their idea) i am just along for the ride.LOL maybe that will be the scratch on the itch that i have. LOL

• Members

Time off, what the heck is that? From a 40-50 hour week at my day job to running sound between 1 and 3 times a week - Summer is usually my busy season. I turned down a show on Friday the 29th just to have a day off.

• Members

It's my busy as hell time right now, managing an installation of 10 systems and riding horses in 40 shows over ~20 days atthe same time. Thank God it's been unseasonably cool!!!

Amen to that ! The weather in N.Ca has been great lately.

• Members

Hey, I am doing sound for a living/Hobby, and i was wondering if any of you guys that done this for a living ever have any off time, time from event to event, like a month of so off.I do about 1 to 3 events a month and i have august off , last year i had a couple of months off and it just drives me nuts:facepalm:. do any of you guys go throught the down time?

uh... well...

That's where Audiopile.net came from.

I remember a conversation between Liz and myself... some 20 odd years ago... went like this: "What do you want to do today? I dunno, you got any ideas?" The rest is what you might call history.

We "slept in" last Sunday morning... hit it at about 6:00am (a couple hours later than usual)... after calling it a day "early" Saturday night.

Tomorrow is Liz's birthday... I discussed this with the crew... they asked if there's anything she'd like for her birthday. I scratched my head, thought about it for a minute or two... only thing I could come up with was: "I kind of think she'd like to have a whole day to piss away doing nothing, knowing everything's caught up... see if Cosco or Walmart... or even Sears has anything like that available, ok? You have a company card: Get her a pallet full if they have it."

• Members

It's my busy as hell time right now, managing an installation of 10 systems and riding horses in 40 shows over ~20 days atthe same time. Thank God it's been unseasonably cool!!!

Calling for 97 degrees here tomorrow, heat index could top 115. Glad I have the everning off.

• Members

uh... well...

That's where Audiopile.net came from.

I remember a conversation between Liz and myself... some 20 odd years ago... went like this: "What do you want to do today? I dunno, you got any ideas?" The rest is what you might call history.

We "slept in" last Sunday morning... hit it at about 6:00am (a couple hours later than usual)... after calling it a day "early" Saturday night.

Tomorrow is Liz's birthday... I discussed this with the crew... they asked if there's anything she'd like for her birthday. I scratched my head, thought about it for a minute or two... only thing I could come up with was: "I kind of think she'd like to have a whole day to piss away doing nothing, knowing everything's caught up... see if Cosco or Walmart... or even Sears has anything like that available, ok? You have a company card: Get her a pallet full if they have it."

Tell Liz happy B day for me. :)

• Members

Yeah, this is one of my busiest weekends yet and we're in for record highs and a few thunderstorms in between. One band gig, one sound gig, one wedding gig, and one rehearsal. Yay.

My problem with downtime is that I get bored easily. I'd rather be out making money than sitting on my couch. If the equipment needs cleaning it can be done by showing up to the gig an hour early when we've got to unload everything anyway; I don't want to empty the trailer more than I need to.

Archived