application for tilted mains

• Members

Just curious on what would be the ideal application or scenario for tilted mains such as JBL PRX612M or QSC K speakers. Is it to focus the sound on a specific area (dance floor) or to spread sound to a wider area (high pole mount) or both or others?

Regards,

JC

• Members

It allows for the speaker to be high enough to be over the heads of people but then positioned to hit the audience. Just gives you another tool for pattern control and puting the sound where you want it, minimizing the bad side effects of putting sound where you don't want it and having it come back to the audience in the form of reflections off the ceiling.

• Members

The idea is to get them up as high as you can... then use the pivot/tilt to angle them down... IE; sending all the sound energy downward to cover a larger spread of audience.

Visually, this looks like...

(MS Paint drawing... don't judge my awesome skill. ;))

Non-tilted

spk1.jpg

Tilted

spk2.jpg

• Members

The idea is to get them up as high as you can... then use the pivot/tilt to angle them down... IE; sending all the sound energy downward to cover a larger spread of audience.

So you'd need a higher than usual speaker stand (8-10 ft) for it to be as effective as possible, right?

Awesome skill by the way! :thu:

• Members

Right ... sending sound to the ceiling only causes problems. As much as you can you'd like to send sound only to the ears of your listeners and nowhere else.

I assume this will affect the throw of the speakers, though. If so, is this the only caveat for this setup?

• Members

It's a nice feature to have in a speaker for all the reasons above, but it's especially important for the QSC K-series speakers because they have symmetrical/conical horns. I often use the K10's as mains, and the tilt-down socket helps keep that 90-degree vertical throw angle off the ceiling.

• Members

I assume this will affect the throw of the speakers, though. If so, is this the only caveat for this setup?

I'm not clear what you are asking?

One thing I would suggest ... don't think of speakers "throwing". What they do is spread and dissipate.

When they spread to where they bounce then they create "fog" that blankets the clarity and articulation of your sound.

• Members

I'm not clear what you are asking?

One thing I would suggest ... don't think of speakers "throwing". What they do is spread and dissipate.

When they spread to where they bounce then they create "fog" that blankets the clarity and articulation of your sound.

What I was assuming is that the spread of sound would be less tilted since it is directed more downward (relatively) than straight.

So applying this to hotel ballrooms, for example, it will not be as effective on long deep ones than squarish layouts.

JC

• Members

The "spread" is the same either way. What is different is the focus in relationship to the listener. Also the relative consistency of sound level is better when the speakers are up high and aimed down..

It's just simple geometry ... draw it out.

• Members

KS Audio has what they call "HDSP" horn projection technology they 'invented' in 2010. Basically the horn pattern in the near-field ~60ft, is 120 wide by 20 vertical (down) 5 vertical (up)... and in the far field, it changes to 60 wide by 15 (down) 5 (up).

They claim : "The result is that all sound energy is directed in a bent wave front to point downwards towards the audience and not to the walls or the ceiling, resulting in an extremely even sound pressure distribution in the width as well as the depth of a room"

But one question - Does it work?

I had a chance back in May to fly down to Florida to give several different KS systems a run-through... and the answer was a resounding YES. My full review can be found here : KS Audio review

... I'm currently in the process of ordering their "Session3" system, which consists of two CB18 subs and two C12 tops. All the amps, DSP, delays, and everything is included in the sub. It even has an ethernet port where you can wirelessly control the system from a laptop anywhere within Wi-Fi range.

Pretty amazing stuff.

• Members

So why don't speaker manufacturers incorporate tilt mounts as a standard if it applies better?

It adds a little cost for a more complex socket, so that could be one reason why it's not common on the lowest-priced speakers. Also, the cabinet has to be designed so it balances safely in the tilted position, which is constrained by the c.g. and weight of all the internal components. It's probably easier to do with some designs than others.

Plus, any tilted socket design has to pass muster with the legal department for safety, and some companies might just not want the hassle.

Archived