when your voice is shot

pogo97

• Members

There's been a cold going around -- long lasting and effective. I'm in the final stages, but it's not done yet and my voice is a mess.

I have three gigs in the next three days. The first two, I can get away without singing (leading the choir & playing organ at a funeral later today; playing with an informal trio tomorrow) but I'd very much prefer to sing on the third, which is the first of, hopefully, a series of weekly gigs with me solo on piano and singing jazz-age songs at dinnertime. The idea is to attract seniors (and hep-cats) to a Wednesday dinner at the restaurant.

I could possibly just play piano, but that's not the model I've proposed for this gig. Or maybe my voice will be okay by then. Or maybe I'll get through a couple of songs and then be completely unable to keep singing. Don't know yet.

I know we've covered this before, but: if it's two days to a vocal gig with a throat full of frogs, what would you recommend?

• Moderators

I've had this recurring 'cold' or whatever the heck it is since November; it goes away, it comes back a few weeks later, and I have had to tough out a couple of gigs with it.

Stay hydrated, that is really the best suggestion I have. I know there are the 'ThroatCoat' people and the 'honey and lemon' people, but none of that has ever really worked for me when I was at the nadir of a 'congestive' illness.

• Members

Singing has always been a struggle for me and lately I've acquired the crud in my throat. I have to continuously clear my throat, but sometimes the crowd is so quiet between songs I feel inhibited about making hacking sounds!

1. I keep cough drops handy and I use them. 2. play an instrumental when my voice really need a break. 3. I've been lowering the key to songs. 4. Do songs that don't require constant singing.

If all else fails, I spend more time talking between songs. It's easier to talk than sing!

• Members

Man, I don't know what to say. I've had the revolving door throat thing this year, and also had it last year as well. It didn't stop me though, and I worked through it. In fact, I picked up a dozen gigs (or so) because other people were cancelling. Last year I had it so bad, I should have cancelled a few gigs. On one of the gigs I played half instrumentals and I suspect it didn't go over well with management - lost the gig.

This year, I just croaked through and did my usual songs. I feel though that it didn't do my voice any good and I wonder if I've done irreparable harm to my pipes. Ever since my bout of sickness last year and this, I have noticed a slight change in my voice - on the other hand that could be because I'm getting older :).

Don't know what else to say, just thought I would share.

• Members

Stay hydrated with warm water or unsweetened tea. Sugarless menthol-eucalyptus drops (sugar is inflammatory), proper breath support, chicken soup, vitamins C & D, and so on.

Sometimes the voice just won't do it. Unlike the piano, it's more than pushing the right buttons and the note comes out.

Prevention is probably the most we can do, and sooner or later it will still get us.

If you are playing in a place that is familiar with you it's better. But it doesn't hurt to let them know you have a cold and will do your best anyway.

Important - don't hurt yourself by straining.

Insights, incites and unfortunately not much to help by Notes

• Members

My wife and daughter are vegetarian. We had some carnivores over so I took advantage of the situation. I love chicken and don't like turkey. My grandmother always served ham at Easter, but chicken won out this year. Nice eight pound lived happy died happy local chicken.

• Members

Report: the trio gig went fine -- we shared vocals as usual and I managed. My voice was a bit better for the dinner-hour the next day, but I chose not to sing -- just felt like the right choice for the setting. So all "cocktail piano" if such a thing exists anymore. I played well, chewed through about 48 vintage songs, got several compliments and look forward to doing it again next week.

• Moderators
Report: the trio gig went fine -- we shared vocals as usual and I managed. My voice was a bit better for the dinner-hour the next day' date=' but I chose not to sing -- just felt like the right choice for the setting. So all "cocktail piano" if such a thing exists anymore. I played well, chewed through about 48 vintage songs, got several compliments and look forward to doing it again next week.[/quote']

sounds like a fun, easy going gig... :thu:

• Moderators

right…

muski+musky+muskie+ontario+canada+america+world+record+biggest+fish+in+the+world+ever+caught+big+huge+fishes+records+largest+monster+fishing+giant+size+images+pictures+freshwater+esox.JPG

Can't decide the caption for that pic...

You Can do Anything... With PhotoShop IIC :p

I catch'em, you clean'em! :lol:

3rd base? On a first catch? :cool03:

or...

Did you actually catch that mofo? :eekphil:

But that ain'no Amurrican chicken, eh? Your chickens look like salmon, and your bacon looks like ham! :idk:

[i may be onto a song here...wait...how do you say that in French? Hmmm... ton poulet...dadada.... ton jamon...] :idea:

Archived