New soloist

SuzieM

• Members

Hi I am currently setting up as a soloist after many years of singing in a Gospel choir. I am wondering what is the best DAW to use or other software to enhance my live performance vocally?

​I don't play any musical instruments so will have to resort to backing tracks. Any help would be much appreciated.

​I have a Peavey 6000 PA system and am looking to run backing tracks via my PC.

• Members

Have a look at TC Helicons range of products, something like the Mike Mechanic combined with their microphone which has controls to bring in and out effects such as reverb and harmonies should give you a more polished performance.

• Members

I've got some potentially personal questions for you. Are you hoping to do the solo thing just for fun, for a little extra cash or for a living wage? If it's just for fun, order some karaoke tracks (as suggested) and wail away in your basement. If it's for some extra cash or even a living wage, I would suggest you start learning guitar. You can still purchase tracks, but if you at least look like you are playing an instrument, you might have a fighting chance. Eventually you could have enough proficiency on the guitar to play along with a few of the songs. Maybe a few years down the road you could even do it without tracks.

Now if your area of the world is different than mine, and just a singer with tracks can get hired then you can ignore what I'm saying. In my part of the world however, a singer that can't play an instrument would lose out to a singer that can play.

Archived