I Keep Learning New Things about Melodyne...

Anderton

• Members

Melodyne is kinda the gift that keeps on giving. One of my latest things is using Melodyne to create a vocal harmony, then having it in my earphones and singing along with it to learn the part. Then I can either supplement or replace the "synthesized" harmony. It's also really easy to see how precise vibrato is. I was working with a backup singer and couldn't believe her vibrato - it looked like someone had superimposed a sine wave.

What's more I'm using Melodyne Editor's pitch correction functionality on stringed instruments parts. The pitch deviations are small enough that there's no impact on the fidelity.

I haven't gotten too much into shifting around timing and some of the other advanced functions...there's a lot to learn. I've always been pretty amazed by Melodyne, but the more I look into it, the more I find it can do.

Anyone have Melodyne tricks & tips they'd care to contribute?

• Members

I don't really have tricks to contribute as I only know how to do a few things on Melodyne. It does sort of keep on giving though.

I use it to un-mix sections of old multitrack tape transfers where other means don't work as well. Such as separating a mono comp track where a vocal and guitar might have landed together. Or demixing a three part harmony tape track into 3 separate voices to then fly back in to a larger remix later on. I'm often amazed at how well this turns out and with careful approach, artifacts are few if any... or at least too little to have an impact in the context of a later remix. When I do this, I'm always working on rather small chunks of audio rather than an entire 3 minute clip.

I'll have to try the harmony thing. I don't really know how to do it. If I'm in Melodyne and looking at a note and want to make a harmony out of it, I copy the note and then jack it up or down on the grid there until I have 3 of them.... I know... caveman approach. I'll have to look at the harmony thing closer.

I'm still trying to figure out that part of Melodyne where you click on something and a new area appears that seems to show "more" stuff that were maybe hidden notes a minute ago (or something). Haven't quite figured how to use that... it's the part that you call up that then is temporarily played back with synthesized notes rather than the actual audio.

I also haven't quite figured out how to load a 3 minute track and say, force it from where it was at 99bpm to 120bpm. Maybe best left to the daw I suppose.

I also haven't used Melodyne for pitch correction, but it sure is nifty for jacking notes around to create new chords out of existing chord snips.

I just figured out recently that the note separation tool is basically a pair of scissors. I thought it was something more.

Anyway, for extracting stuff out of comps, it's pretty cool and often much faster than Isolate or Spectralayers etc.

Archived