Post Your Pedalboard 2017 Edition.

• Members

Thanks. I am working on it as I go. I love the Nighthawk. I got it so cheap I couldn't believe it. Old geezer in the Ozarks bought it and didn't like it so he put it on eBay and said it was mint. I figured it would be decent at least, but it was truly MINT. It didn't even have a pick mark on it, and the best part was that I got it for $600. Couldn't find a hardshell because Gibson won't sell them unless from Custom shop for $400. I was told that an SG case would bit it, which it did but the neck support was off. I took some measurements and sent them to TKL where I got the case, and they made matching special inserts to support it correctly in the same color interior plush for $35, so it all worked out. I should mention that almost no one knows what it is when they see it, so you must know your guitars! LOL

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Terrible picture, but lately this has been my board. The new Zoom G3n is a great unit, and I've had a ton of fun using it and trying different effects. Eventually I'll do a full review on it, but I still think at the end of the day, I'll end up back with individual pedals when playing live. The funny thing is, having the Zoom has made me want to downsize my pedal board even more. I thought I needed a compressor and a delay and a modulation, etc, etc... but really I can pretty much get my sound with just OD and Reverb.

odIALq9.jpg

• Members

Phil, I like the app. I did find a few thing out about my pedal choices with it too. First, the Coronna does get the sound I wanted, so I like it as well as the Vortex. Next, I like the HOF but it was too limited since I like verb. The app showed me too many sounds I wanted so I gave in and bought the full sized Hall of Fame. I like it much better. I also liked the Flashback mini and intended to keep it set for slap back but with the PX-8+ I now have midi control over the Flashback 4 so I gave up the mini. I can get it to do slap back whenever I need it to on the fly. All in all, the mini pedals are very good for the few times I really need their sounds, especially when matched with Toneprint for versatility. The Shaker is the only one that did not fully satisfy. I like it OK, but really wanted a lot more control over it. I didn't know that until I started to use it, and I may eventually get what I want. I just haven't hit the same favor with it that I have for the others. In fact, I won't get rid of any of the pedals. The ones that don't stay on this board will go to a smaller practice board so I don't lug the larger one around all the time. I also sold the Direct Drive because no room to mount it, and wanted to like the ZVEX Fuzz Factory I bought, but found I really hate it. I wanted to get Gibson Maestro sounds out of, but they really aren't in there. It doesn't make it to any of the boards. I wish the Dingbat board was a bit larger since I still have a few pedals I want, but there is NO more room on it. Don't know how to squeeze the H9 Max, a Univibe, and my Midnight 30+ Dual onto it. I might need an aux board run from the PX-8+ midi control. I think I need a 12 step program.......

• Members

lil squeeze, rodent, & plexion, to go with the supermod, because the projected delivery date on my algal bloom & power tune is mid august, argh... oh, and 3lbs :lol:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tXTbctjD.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t110.8 KB ID:\t32146070","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32146070","data-size":"full","title":"XTbctjD.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

welp, that didn't last long #2.

update #3 ... ahhh, never mind

lil squeeze, rodent, & plexion, to go with the supermod, because the projected delivery date on my algal bloom & power tune is mid august, argh... oh, and 3lbs :lol:

7gpY4mY.jpg

I've always been intrigued by those - How do you like the Keeley Supermod? What types of effects can it do? Do you think some of them sound better than some of the others, and if so, what do you think it does best?

• Members

lol, yeah put me on the spot.

i love it, but then i wanted to have a minimalist WYSIWYG mini board to limit my choices, and decided to cheat when i spotted this :lol:

2 banks of 8 fx, bank one into bank two.

trem(1), harmonic trem(*), filter(1), phaser(*), chorus/vibrato(2), flanger(2), rotary(*), double tracking(1), analog(1) & digital(*) delay, & plate & hall reverb(2)

(1) bank one only

(2) bank two only

(*) in both banks

it's more complicated than i thought it'd be... due to how the knobs control differing parameters depending on effect(usually an exception to the rule), permutation of effect order and choice, and not being able to memorize functions as fast as i used too. kinda like the ehx canyon, or neunaber immerse, but with even more packed in there. the fx are all bread and butter, good to great depending on taste. i can't say any are best in class, but each best in class usually costs as much or more than the supermod itself, and are complicated by extra features. i pretty much like every effect i have on my big board more than the one in the supermod, but then that's the point of the big board (and who else would pick a dod chorus over ...)

5 slots of delay & reverb, greatly increases it's versatility, but might be wasted if you have, or prefer to use, another pedal... otoh it'll allow another flavor or setting of delay/verb, or use of your delays looper with if it has one.

it's definitely a niche product with a unique balance of size, quality, features, and control.

so far, the biggest downside is really having to pay attention to where you put your feet when you stomp it, but i love that it's the same height as the micro pedals. if i can find a good micro tuner, i'll probably order a pt nano an join the club.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Well I now have version three roughly 8 weeks into building the PB. This is what version two looked like: [ATTACH=CONFIG]n32040911[/ATTACH]

And this is the new version, which is three. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n32040912[/ATTACH]

Sorry about the picture quality. The pieces are just laid in place right now to get a feel for what I want it to look like. I still need to refine a little, attach them, and rewire it all, but this is pretty much it. The only thing that will change is replacing the HOF with a Source Audio Ventris Dual Reverb when they come out next month.

Once I get the Ventris, every pedal except the tuner and compressor will be midi controlled. The Dirt Clod is a MIDI distortion/overdrive unit with 10 user presets available on demand. The Voodoo Lab Control Switcher is hooked up to my amp and controls channel selection and reverb on/off via MIDI. I can save the channel and reverb state with each preset on the board. The MIDI mouse can expand my switcher from 36 presets to 128, although I don't know if I am going to go that far or not. I got it to be safe. The rest you probably know. Spent a few dollars to get here so now I MUST learn to like it and live with it because I can't afford to make any more unplanned changes for a while.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Well I now have version three roughly 8 weeks into building the PB.

Spent a few dollars to get here so now I MUST learn to like it and live with it because I can't afford to make any more unplanned changes for a while.

holy cow. 2 h9s, money talks ! i'm jealous. what do they say, 'buy once, cry once' :D

about the 5th, or 6th rev you'll start to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and realize you have more than enough pedals for a grab an go board

• Members

Thanks for the nice words. Buy once is a good mantra to live by. Instead of new pedals, I buy new algorithms. Thats much cheaper in the long run. I kept seeing H9 cores at a price I liked but they didn't have what I needed in them, so I waited. Finally someone was selling a mint standard version for $399 so I bought it. It had most of what I needed. I noticed I had sounds I liked, but could only use one at a time, so found the cheapest price I could on a new core pedal, and you can use all the algorithms you own in both pedals, so two standards at a much cheaper price. Over the next few months will get them maxed out. I am about $350 in purchases away from that. Only two things left I really want besides the obligatory Mission expression pedals and some extension footswitches. I am going to retire the Hall of Fame to grab and go so I can get the new Source Audio Ventris reverb, and I might get the Source Audio digital EQ. Thats more than fits comfortably on the board though so I might not get the EQ. ( ;-) ) I have acquired enough pedals that the top of the baby grand is covered in pedals I like, won't sell, and can't get on this board. I can already see board number two coming for the shows I don't have time to program into this one. I want a small grab and go like you mention, but I have enough to fill two more of the size I have now. I need a 12 step program.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Couldn't seem to find a recent post your board thread. :idk: Lets get back on it!

I'm using the OD-3 for a just slightly dirty tone. I hated the Dano fuzz with single coils as it is really bright, but I dig it with humbuckers! Very tonebenderish but I can turn the tone down and put it on the neck pickup and it gets nice and wooly/muffy. The Delay is okay, I mainly just use it to add some more ambience since I'm playing in a two piece.

A2wPFR0.jpg

Are you playing in a bikini?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

bought and assembled in the last month, and i'm in so far over my head it's not funny.

the features of the voluum pedal alone. just auditioning the factory & app patches on the H9, and the program/extensibility of the mastermind is insane.

be careful of what you wish for ... :bangheadonwall:baby-dance

[edit: latest rebuild]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tpUcqcXn.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t313.8 KB ID:\t32198569","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32198569","data-size":"full","title":"pUcqcXn.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t9E66JCA.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t320.9 KB ID:\t32198570","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32198570","data-size":"full","title":"9E66JCA.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

lol, yes axis, sweetwater had a 3 year financing option

• Members

AMEN! Spent enough on pedals in the last six months to buy a LP Custom or a new Marshall. Looks like you have the same problem I do. Hi, my name is Axis, and I am a pedalholic. I figured I could build it this year, pay for it over the next 3 years, and then learn to work it all just before it becomes obsolete and I get to start over.

• Members

Your board has familiar ring to it. You will love the H9. Which model is it? Also, I have been waiting for someone to try the Ventris. Been ready to buy if it’s positive. I have the Nemesis (delay) and totally love it. What’s the verdict? Nicely done BTW.

• Members

sprung for the max, it was time to put an end to the gas once and for all.

i don't deserve this board. it's more than i'll ever need or master. it feels shockingly good.

the ventris has completely changed my appreciation of reverb. i find i'm using it more than delay.

i haven't dug into the h9 enough to compare them though, and the ventris seems to have a serious bug where it kills both it's own and the masterminds dry through in parallel mode. it's been exasperating trying to figure out whats wrong. but it works heavenly in serial mode.

your gonna need a bigger board

• Members

After breaking the habit of buying and selling gear a few years ago this is (pretty much) all I have left. I'm looking to replace the VM1 with a flashback x4 (or similar delay/looper pedal), I've just ordered a holy grail neo and I would also like to add a higher gain drive/dist pedal and some kind of shin-ei/superfuzz clone. Possibly ditching and/or replacing the CC drive and tone driver too, but not right away.

bce0bbcf3dd06851fe1b55e3034965c4.thumb.jpg.2431bafed698a32687b0daf0db6ef34c.jpg

Archived