Better late than never - my Vox V806 Treble Booster clone build

Phil O'Keefe

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
Do you got a link to that DIY pedal company ?

What's the difference from the Range Master ?

Man, if you ever get time from you busy schedule, post a sound clip 😀.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier AJ... :0 here's a link with tons of information on the build project.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/effects-projects/boosters/vox-tb/

It's brighter and a bit gnarlier sounding than a Rangemaster, and a bit more broadband vs being progressively brighter as you play higher up like you get with a Rangemaster. It has a somewhat similar effect - they're both treble boosts - but definitely a different sound.

Are you familiar with the Vox amp top boost sound? It has some sonic similarities to that. It's a jangle enhancer.

It's amazing how much treble that groups like the Byrds and the Beatles used on some of their guitar tracks... but when you hear a 12 string electric with lots of it - especially along with a lot of compression - it's instantly recognizable. It's like glass breaking. :lol:

Here's a link where you can order the complete kit of parts - it's currently $50 for everything - PCB, electronic components, case, pot, knob, jacks, etc. You just need to supply your own soldering tools, paint / decals and labor... and maybe some heat shrink tubing (I don't recall if I used mine or if some was included with the kit) - they even include some solder and wire, but I used some solid core wire and silver solder from my personal stash for mine IIRC... oh, and I used a Marshall-style knob I had on hand - a plain black one is included with the kit.

https://store.generalguitargadgets.com/kits/kitsboosters/vox-treble-booster-complete-kit.html

I'll see what I can do about the clip... :wave:

• Members

The Byrds got that 12 string sound recording direct through a console and using its EQ and compression. Not sure what they used live.

I used to have an original Vox Treble booster, actually it was a Treble Bass booster plus distortion and an E Tuner in my late 60's Vox Apollo Guitar.

[img2=JSON]{"alt":"Image result for vox apollo","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"519","width":"314","src":"http:\/\/www.voxshowroom.com\/ct\/guitar\/jmi_guitars\/apollo_stack7.jpg"}[/img2]

[img2=JSON]{"alt":"Image result for vox apollo","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"411","width":"800","src":"http:\/\/www.voxshowroom.com\/ct\/guitar\/jmi_guitars\/apollo_controls.jpg"}[/img2]

The Byrds got that 12 string sound recording direct through a console and using its EQ and compression. Not sure what they used live.

Roger McGuinn modified his Ric 12 and installed a Vox treble booster internally. Initially they had to use an outboard rack compressor with it live. Later, Ric made a McGuinn model that had the booster and compressor inside the guitar itself.

In the studio at Columbia ("the Church") they ran the guitar direct to the board, probably used the board EQ, and for compression they used an unknown outboard rack compressor - it could have possibly been a Fairchild 660, Altec 436 or a Teletronix LA-2A, but that's purely a guess based on the era and the fact that it was supposedly a tube unit.

Your sound has always been marked by the use of compression on the Rick 12. You used to record directly into the board. What brand of compressor was it?

I don’t know what they used in the Columbia Studios, but I do know they were tube-driven. Using compression was the idea of Ray Gerhardt, one of the house engineers at Columbia. They had no experience working with rock n’ roll bands and were scared we’d blow out their equipment, so they used compression in an attempt to protect themselves! I know they were very nervous about recording us. [Author’s Note: Ray Gerhardt was an award-winning engineer, famed for his work on records by Percy Faith and other easy listening artists of the day.]

How did you recreate your compressed studio tone onstage back in the days when stompboxes were in their infancy?

I never did. Paul Kantner of Jefferson Airplane, who also played a Rickenbacker 12, turned me on to the Vox Treble Booster in 1966. I took the Rick apart and installed it in the guitar. It really was an outboard box that gave me some gain, but no compression. Later, we got a rack compressor that we used on gigs, but in the early days, I couldn’t get compression onstage until we got that rack. I tried all the compressors available, including the Dyna-Comp and the Boss, but didn’t like any of them. Not until Rickenbacker designed my signature guitar with the built-in compressor, did I find one that worked for me.

Source

I used to have an original Vox Treble booster, actually it was a Treble Bass booster plus distortion and an E Tuner in my late 60's Vox Apollo Guitar.

Nice guitar! :cool2:

The outboard version of the Treble Bass Booster was the V8401, which uses a similar but slightly different circuit than the V806. If you have the treble / bass knob of the V8401 all the way to the treble side, they should sound fairly similar.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I think I'll order one of those kits. Looks like fun and I haven't had the soldering iron out in a while.

I love the stuff you posted about McGuinn Phil. The sound of his Ric 12 was one the most influential on me ever. Even though I sound nothing at all like him, play nothing like him, I still get goosebumps hearing his work with the Byrds. His work on "5D" is my favorite. His solos on "Eight Miles High" still send me to the Dream place y'know? Do you have any scoop on how that seminal album was recorded and the gear involved? Crosby's work as well as Hillman's were also top drawer on that album...

Did I just hijack this thread? Sry....

Archived