Vintage Original Stock impressions (on the ES-LPC Black Beauty)

Chris Loeffler

• Members

I had the chance to review a Gibson Memphis ES-LPC Black Beauty, and was surprised to the VOS appointments. I've seen plenty of antiqued and road-worn guitars, but the VOS is kind of different... more about how time ages material rather than how playing shapes and dings.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/gibson-memphis-2017-es-lpc-black-beauty-electic-guitar

• Members

Chris, you say that the LPC has a solid maple top, back and sides - that is pretty unusual for a semi-hollow. Most of them would be lami like an ES-335, 175, and so forth. I'm assuming its a carved top and back then, that's a lot of work for a guitar with a big hunk of maple or something else in the middle. Any idea why they would do this?

Does this emulate some classic Gibson model?

And somehow I missed the price in your review - how much does one have to pay for an old looking new guitar?

• Members
Chris, you say that the LPC has a solid maple top, back and sides - that is pretty unusual for a semi-hollow. Most of them would be lami like an ES-335, 175, and so forth. I'm assuming its a carved top and back then, that's a lot of work for a guitar with a big hunk of maple or something else in the middle. Any idea why they would do this?

Does this emulate some classic Gibson model?

And somehow I missed the price in your review - how much does one have to pay for an old looking new guitar?

If it is carved then it was probably done on a CNC machine - it's certainly not a hand made jazz box.

• Members

If it is carved then it was probably done on a CNC machine - it's certainly not a hand made jazz box.

Yeah, probably a standard LP top with f-holes stuck on a chambered maple body (why maple). I took a quick look thru some vintage guitar books to see if I could figure out which vintage guitar they were modeling this on - didn't really see anything quite like it. The ES in most Gibson names stands for Electric Spanish, meaning its meant to be plugged in (no significant acoustic sound) and played in the Spanish position (as opposed to Hawaiian). I've never seen that applied to a Les Paul.

Anyway, nice guitar but as I've mentioned before, I think aging and relicing and all of the other stuff to make it look old is silly. And I'm quite sure I wouldn't want to pay the price

Here's some more info.

It's basically a 335 - laminated top, back and sides - with a Les Paul body shape.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/Memphis/ES-Les-Paul-Black-Beauty.aspx

I don't think you can use that to definitively describe the details of the one Chris reviewed - note the difference in model years, the different tailpieces, etc. etc.

• Members
I don't think you can use that to definitively describe the details of the one Chris reviewed - note the difference in model years' date=' the different tailpieces, etc. etc.[/quote']

I noticed that after I posted it so I looked a bit closer.

The commonality is that it is a Gibson Memphis ES-Les Paul. I would think it would be a Gibson Custom model if the construction was radically different. Any ES model that I have ever seen has laminated construction.

• Moderators

When I was in Memphis last spring, I played every ES-LP in the Gibson showroom [none of which were like that one]. I'm not giving up my '81 Black beauty any time soon, [or my 2001 Epi Alley Kat] but I did appreciate the weight reduction and balance. The one Chris got to try out, well, is pretty pimped out with 3 p-u's and a Bigsby B-7 [is there a Vibra-Mate under that?], none of which would matter to me, but it does look impressive.

That said, the gold on my BB is not anywhere near as 'aged' looking as the one shown in the review.

Just another way for someone to lay claim to a falsehood, another 'factory relic'.

Why? :idk:

I can't get a grip on wanting to pretend that a BRAND NEW MODEL is 50+ years old. Really, what is the point?

The ES-LP was never a classic model for Gibson, so where is the logic?

So I chalk this up to being another corksniffer guitar that, aside from a few in the hands of pros [Like Brad Whitford, who probably didn't buy his...I'm jus'sayin' :wave: ], will wind up in the living rooms of lawyers, dentists and bank VPs who will never gig with it, just show it off to other lawyers, dentists and bank VPs..

Hey, Gibson, here's a thought: how about giving some away to us working guitarists who would get them seen and heard and appreciated? Just a thought...and I would actually like mine to look all shiny and brand new...I would age it the normal way...gigging it to death....over many decades.

• Members

this might help...

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBESLPBB15

i think Chris should have told us in his review that the list price was a mere $5880 (but of course no one pays list, it makes you feel better when you swipe the card at $3299). Also Chris missed out on some of the other cool features that ZZounds tells us about

- F-Hole emblem engraved truss rod cover: The iconic symbol of the Gibson ES line is now the hallmark of Gibson Memphis

- Redesigned neck dimensions: Added thickness to Peghead transition provides greater strength and stability

- Historic truss rod: Superior Adjustability due to the Teflon coating, larger diameter rod, original brass anchor and larger washer

- Bone nut: Bone for smooth tuning and excellent durability

- Rolled neck binding: Binding is rounded off to comfortably fit the contours of the player's hand

- Capacitor changes: Less treble cut than previous capacitor results in a tone with a harmonically rich, singing quality

- Three MHS Humbucker Pickups: The maximum complement of toneful PAF-style goodness

Wow, f-hole emblems on the truss rod cover and a historic teflon coated truss rod. Thicker neck at the Peghead where they always break, a bone nut (we don't need no stinking plastic), a real rolled neck binding (I thought the vintage gibbies had the nibs) and they changed the caps (what, no bumble bees?). I had to chuckle when my vintage guitar book explained why a 1957 LP custom had three humbuckers, "this was probably a reaction to Fender's three pickup Stratocaster of 1954 that was gaining in popularity".

Archived